Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket sun roofs and speaker questions in 1988 Xcab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question aftermarket sun roofs and speaker questions in 1988 Xcab!

Good morning guys, I hope you all had a good holiday and have a good new year! I spent new years eve and all of new years day with food poisoning! FUN TIMES! Anyway, I’m going to get my truck painted shortly and want to install an aftermarket sun roof while I’m at it... Has anyone installed one in their truck? I bought one off of Ebay and re-sold it because it looked like it had too much contour in it for our roofs.. With my luck I would have cut out the sheet metal and it would not have worked for me! Any certain brand or type that I should buy.. I know a lot of people say they leak but I’ve never had any issues in the past unless you direct the spray from the car wash at the seals! My other question is I want to remove the rear package shelf from the back of my cab to make more room. I want to know is there room under the X cab windows for 6.5" or 6x9 speakers as I’ve got my Kappa 6x9s in the shelf right now. Is there any way of running speaker wire into your doors so it will hold up? I installed Kappa 6.5" in my doors but the wire keeps getting pinched and I’m afraid it’s going to ruin my Denon 5 channel amp which are really hard to find! I drilled a hole in the door jam and into the door but as you can imagine the wire gets pinched and kinked every time you close the door! I wish my truck had power windows so I could run the wire through the boot with the stock wires but I don't! Anyway any input would be great!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I run wires into doors is to drill the hole in the door at a different height than the hole in the door jamb. That way the wires twist a little when you open the door but don't need to fold and pinch. About 3" difference in height works great.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Far as the sunroof goes... check one of the guys on here has done one...

here it is: https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...tch_ragtop.htm