86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AFM clicking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFM clicking.

Hey all. Just acquired a 4runner that has been sitting for a few years. It starts when starting fluid is used. Checked for spark so its getting that. Turning the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump click on. So when I go to start the engine, it cranks and cranks and cranks, and when I give it some gas the vane in the AFM clicks. Like its not opening all the way and its losing suction. Any suggestions? Searched but nothing came up in the way of a clicking AFM. Also it is getting a code 11. Unrelated? Who knows.
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx
Hey all. Just acquired a 4runner that has been sitting for a few years. It starts when starting fluid is used. Checked for spark so its getting that. Turning the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump click on. So when I go to start the engine, it cranks and cranks and cranks, and when I give it some gas the vane in the AFM clicks. Like its not opening all the way and its losing suction. Any suggestions? Searched but nothing came up in the way of a clicking AFM. Also it is getting a code 11. Unrelated? Who knows.
Thanks!
Check for cracks in the intake tube between air filter and TB.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
x2. The engine won't get any fuel unless the flap in the afm is open. Assuming it's post 86' (I think) you can open the diagnostic box on the passenger's side of the engine compartment to jump the +B and FB terminals with a paperclip or piece of wire to bypass that. However, the problem is most likely a leak somewhere before the throttle body (cracked intake hose, loose clamps, throttle body gasket, disconnected vacuum line, etc).

Last edited by Inferno451; 05-27-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Ah that makes sense. Because when I got the 4runner the elbow piece was missing. So I quickly made a temp one out of a shock boot (those red silicone ones that come on the rancho shocks.) and it seems to work fine, but maybe there is a hole in that, or somewhere else along the intake hose there is a leak. I will try that and report back. Gracias fellow Arizonians!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That would do it. Even a TINY little leak somewhere won't let it run.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Weird searched through it but couldnt find anything. Is there a good way to look for a leak? I mean I can cover the whole thing in electrical tape. haha. My neighbor has an engineering friend who likes working on stuff so gave him the AFM to see if he would want to take it apart and tinker with it. Worth a shot I guess. haha.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 AM

Off the top of my head I can't remember what code 11 is, but if you need to use starter fluid to got it started I don't think it's an issue an air leak. You said its been sitting around for a few years, but have you but fresh gas in it?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Code 11 is like Neutral system switch is on during diagnostics, and something with the TPS. Yes thats the first thing I did. 4 gallons of 91. It made sense to me that it may just be out of gas.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Update. Not that I have solved anything as of yet but on the right track! I thought to myself, "Maybe I cant hear the fuel pump turning on, should be changed regardless" Remove the fuel pump and sending unit and find allll of it covered in rust. Awful. So I drop the tank, get it acid dipped to remove all the rust, get a new fuel pump, and a new sending unit because the fuel line attachment completely broke off when I was trying to remove it. No big deal right? Wrong. I STILL CANNOT REMOVE IT FROM THE FUEL LINE IN THE RUNNER. I have seriously tried everything. I cannot remove just the little broken piece stuck in there. Its the part with the red circle in the photo. Also those 2 peices came with the fuel pump, but I dont know where they go....any suggestions?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 AM

the metal ring is a retainer im pretty sure and the rubber ring is a seal for the fuel line going out. I didnt use the metal ring. But my fuel pump could be different than yours who knows.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Found out that the metal ring is what holds the sock filter in place.
Also did some diagnostics, and found out that the Main relay clicks, but the relay after that one does not, which means no power is gettting to the pump. So Ive got to trace down that break in the circuit. Also there is a 15A fuse that pops every-time you put one in. Does any one have a picture of the in-car fuse box diagram, because mine doesn't have one. Thanks!