Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advance Auto Speedometer Cable- Close but not quite...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advance Auto Speedometer Cable- Close but not quite...

I'm replacing the speedometer cable on my 89 3.Ohno and the "OEM" cable from Advance clips to the guage cluster and tranny just fine, but the floor bracket is another issue. Seems like the factory one came with the parking brake/speedo bracket complete, my new one not so much.

So, before I hack into the old bracket and make a slot/hole to fit the new cable in (weather sealing would be the new issue)...

Does anbody know how to magic this thing in there? Or should I track another cable down? (this one was only $20.00 new)

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Without disassembling the cable, there really isn't a way.

You can try pulling the actual cable from your new one and sliding into the sheathing of the old one, making sure to properly lube it. Otherwise, buy it new from the dealer. Spendy, but won't have to mess with fitment like this.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like will be a PITA to get that cable through the bracket. Have you thought of making a little plate that will weather tight the hole and allow both the Autozone cable and the parking brake to pass through? A grommet will protect the cable from being worn through by the plate.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I can use the factory bracket and just cut out the tube that the speedo cable runs through. I have the means and the material to make a pretty trick grommet at my shop. I "could" go to the Stealership and get the proper cable, but wheres the fun in that?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Very true post back what ya find out.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. If I could afford to I would just get one from 1sttoyotaparts.com or the dealership. You know the other day I went into the dealership and showed them a printout of how i could get the same oem parts online for cheaper and they not only matched the price, but in order to keep my business, they are giving me 15% off all parts from now on. I thought that was real nice of them. worth a shot
Old 12-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by survivorman97
Sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. If I could afford to I would just get one from 1sttoyotaparts.com or the dealership. You know the other day I went into the dealership and showed them a printout of how i could get the same oem parts online for cheaper and they not only matched the price, but in order to keep my business, they are giving me 15% off all parts from now on. I thought that was real nice of them. worth a shot
Thanks for the hot tip.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bluidvl
So, before I hack into the old bracket and make a slot/hole to fit the new cable in (weather sealing would be the new issue)...

Does anbody know how to magic this thing in there? Or should I track another cable down? (this one was only $20.00 new)
It's not too hard. Just remove the transfer case end of the cable. The part that connects to the speedometer in the dash will come off the end if you wiggle/tug/twist on it hard enough. It's just crimped to the cable sheath like a coax electric cable male connector, which is what you should use to recrimp it to the cable, a coax cable hex-crimping tool(if you have one, like I do..). If the the other cable doesn't come apart like that, make it come apart(as in cut the part off). Then slide the part you need off the OEM cable sheath and slide it on the Autozone sheath. Then either put the OEM cable sheath end piece on it, or the one that came with it, and recrimp it to the end.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-13-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by survivorman97
Interesting.