Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

? about what will happen to front diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about what will happen to front diff

ok , heres what i did, i drained my front locking diff then to make sure i could fill it with gear oil i had the plastic qt .opened the fill plug and inserted the bottle
the red little cap was still on-- the plastic bottle was not open (i did this to see if i could fill with out making a mess)
well it would work , cool i thought, then i removed the unopened platic qt and the little red plastic cap got shoved of into the front diff crap i am wondering what will happen
will the little red cap just get eating up or could damage happen
any thought would be appreciated
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, if I couldn't fish it out with a bit of wire I'd open the diff up and remove it. Then again, it's a little piece of plastic and your diff is full of fast-moving metal, it could very well not interfere with anything and end up shredded to tiny bits that do nothing. At worst it could get stuck somewhere and prevent something from turning properly. It is not very likely to cause any damage but I'd remove it just because it's generally a good idea to not have any sort of foreign object in a diff. If you haven't poured the oil in, open up the diff and pull it out, else you can take your chances or replace the oil again.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 AM

well i dont have alot of experience with this but i would get that cap out before i drove it. If you drive it now i am sure it would chew the cap up but then theres gonna be little chunks of plastic in there and that sounds like a bad mix to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Ever have a front axle lock up when your driving? I have and even if it might get chewed up I'd take it out just to make me feel better.......because face-planting the steering wheel sucks
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's doubtful a little plastic cap will be able to cause any damage to anything in there, but you will have to decide how much risk you're comfortable with

Little pieces of tiny plastic floating around in there could get into the carrier or pinion bearings and prevent proper lubrication, and then you have a real problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM

try and flush it out with some cheap or used gear oil.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you haven't driven it yet it should be floating on top.
Or maybe it will come out when you drain it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM

rofl... forget about it... that will turn to mush in about 5 min of driving
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 AM

no i have not driven it yet and i drained the gear oil and it didnt come out and its nots floating to the top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM

it may very well not be a problem. but i'd try and get it out. unfortunately it's a bit of a PITA but not as bad as it could be. unbolt the diff from the frame. leave it connected to the side axles and lower it down a bit using a jack to support it. unbolt the front cover and hopefully you will find it!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Murakami
it may very well not be a problem. but i'd try and get it out. unfortunately it's a bit of a PITA but not as bad as it could be. unbolt the diff from the frame. leave it connected to the side axles and lower it down a bit using a jack to support it. unbolt the front cover and hopefully you will find it!
x2

There is too many things it could do bad v. there is nothing it will help.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM

i'd drive it and chew it up and then drain the diff. It's not going to hurt anything at all.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM

You might try and fish it out with vacuum; get some small diameter copper tubing that you can bend and see if you can't suck it out the drain hole or the fill hole.

Anyone you know have a boroscope?

Probably not that big of deal, but if it were my truck I would do whatever it took to get it out of there before I drove it.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd probably get it out myself. It won't become a potential problem till you put it in 4wd. So if you need it as a daily you can drive in 2wd with the hubs unlocked with no problem. I removed the front dif, front drive shaft, and tied the halfshafts up. Drove it for a couple days no issues. Its the beauty of locking front hub.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM

I like the idea of trying to flush it out. Fill and drain a couple times time to see if it comes out. If not, then try driving in 4WD to chew it up and drain.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
is it an open diff or is there a locker in there? If its open.. maybe not such a big deal. However if there is a locker, do you want to get little chucks of plastic getting caught in the locker and posibly keep it from "locking"?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TubedYota
Ever have a front axle lock up when your driving? I have and even if it might get chewed up I'd take it out just to make me feel better.......because face-planting the steering wheel sucks
Seriously? A 1/8oz of plastic locking the axle of a 5000lbs truck?

It'll just get mashed into oblivion the first time it runs in between the ring and pinion. I wouldn't think twice about it. I wouldn't drain the diff afterwards either- what's plastic made from anyways... petroleum.

If it went into your automatic transmission, that would be a different story though as it could plug something up, maybe.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-29-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Good post Matt16
Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 AM

I would pull it down and get the sucker out.

The bits of plastic will be like dirt running around, it might stick to a gear tooth face and cause extra wear on one tooth or something, NOT good.
It may very well not do anything, but do you want to risk it?

You have 2 choices, do the work now or perhaps do the same work but have to buy a front diff later, your choice.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Seriously? A 1/8oz of plastic locking the axle of a 5000lbs truck?

I didn't say that was gonna happen at all.......and don't think it would directly do anything like that but why take a chance.......it's like 10 bucks worth of oil compared to a potential bad situation. I just used it as an example and as someone else said in this thread it could get chewed up and block the oil in some way.........lack of oil could definitely cause failure and lead to said face plant.

Quick Reply: ? about what will happen to front diff