A340 shifting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try adjusting the kick down cable.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
mine doesn't shift into overdrive until it warms up also. there was a thread about this a little while ago, i think its common on all A340H's to reduce the wear and tear or something...
Yes, it is normal. Its an emssion thing. The temp sensor locks out OD, they figure the engine will warm up faster if its not in OD. Usually, slow OD operation is as simple as a thermostat replacement.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 AM

I have a 1995 4 runner automatic. This last summer I had another radiator installed which was bigger , after market, with better cooling capacity. My question is, since its been getting colder outside, I've noticed on acceleration from a dead stop the 4 runner would hesistate like it wasnt getting fuel. But once it warmed up , it quit doing this.
Secondly, it now seems cold blooded because it wont shift to OD til my temp gage is close to in the middle. And when I drive on the freeway and its in OD and the radiator temp drops, the tranny will shift down ! So I have been having the inside heater switched to On, which keeps the radiator temp up for the trans.and then stays in OD. Is this a thermostat problem, and is there a particular temp. rated one I should get from Toy. or the auto parts. Thanks fpr any input. Dan
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danagc
I have a 1995 4 runner automatic. This last summer I had another radiator installed which was bigger , after market, with better cooling capacity. My question is, since its been getting colder outside, I've noticed on acceleration from a dead stop the 4 runner would hesistate like it wasnt getting fuel. But once it warmed up , it quit doing this.
Secondly, it now seems cold blooded because it wont shift to OD til my temp gage is close to in the middle. And when I drive on the freeway and its in OD and the radiator temp drops, the tranny will shift down ! So I have been having the inside heater switched to On, which keeps the radiator temp up for the trans.and then stays in OD. Is this a thermostat problem, and is there a particular temp. rated one I should get from Toy. or the auto parts. Thanks fpr any input. Dan
Well, you have 2 problems. First one is the thermostat. Even with the radiator being oversized, it shouldnt over cool, extra large just gives you extra cooling in extreme conditions. I suspect the thermostat is too low (needs to be a 192-195 area) or if its the right temp, its hanging open. Even if its barely. Get a factory thermostat and a new gasket. The OE t-stats have a nice little jiggler valve to keep flow which allows it to warm up evenly (heat around the heads) and also allows you to drain the radiator and block by opening the draincock at the bottom of the radiator. The ones without the valve hold all coolant in the block. Messy! And the hesitation/lean/not getting gas. You need your injectors serviced. I can feel this on customers rigs when driving them in the shop and seems common on the 3.0's with 90K and up. Worse as miles goes up. Now removing the injectors and having them cleaned works great, but a good on vehicle service is either MotorVac or a Snap-On (which is MotorVac) and you will think you bolted on nitrous! It is lean from plugged injectors and really noticable when cold and its not able to deliver enough extra fuel for the cold enrichment.

Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech; 11-26-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info MDT and timely reply it is greatly appreciated. I have chronic back problems involving surgeries, so working under the hood is tough, but I know I can do the t-stat...thanks again !