86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 won't fire up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 won't fire up.

I have a 95 2wd, 4cyl. Toyota pickup, that won't start, it's getting fuel, has spark on the plugs, sprayed starting fluid and won't attempt to fire up with it either, any ideas???
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fire needs 3 things: fuel (gas), source (spark) and air. You've already eliminated fuel and source as the problem so the only thing left is air. I don't see how an intake could get clogged without you knowing it, but your catalytic converter could very well be clogged (the engine can't inhale fresh air to fire again if it can't get rid of old exhaust fumes). You could also be having a problem with your AFM. If it's not plugged in or gone bad the computer won't let the engine run.

I don't think it would be a valve problem. Even if you had a stuck or burnt valve the engine would run like crap, but it would still run. Start by checking your AFM on the intake filter box. Make sure the meter itself is still within specs and check the wiring for any damage too. Make sure you're getting voltage to the meter. If that checks out good move to the catalytic converter and make sure it's not clogged.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 AM

Thanks ill check them out. I bought it cause they said all it needed was a fuel pump and for the price it made since, so the cat might be clogged.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Took off cat, and still no luck, will try afm tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Sounds like an afm if you unplug it all it does is turn but wont catch, also check your fuel pressure to see if its holding pressure in the line
Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Xeo

hows the timing?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM

I unplugged afm and won't start plug back in and still the same. Did dyno with jumper wire from te1 to e1 and it just flashes constantly. Timing I'm not sure it has spark but not like a lawn mower all fast, there's a space between sparks not far apart.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Maybe your distributor isn't adjusted correctly? Mine was 180 degrees off.Thats what happened to me on my 22r... finally got it started today...
Here's a great link
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the history like? Have you done any repairs recently?
Did you go to start it and this just happened?,
or has the rig been acting funny lately?, ya know any symptoms that may have caused this.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM

I just recently bought it, with fuel tank off, cause they thought it was the fuel pump. I put tank back on and pump in and went to fire it up and nothing, it cranks, has fuel, has sparks at plugs when I take them out. Sprayed ether and still wont attempt to sputter or start. Only has 55,000 miles, everything looks clean don't look like much has been serviced.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:28 PM

I noticed a hose coming out of the firewall under the charcoal canister that's just a aluminum pipe not connected. Where is that line go too?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackedupjoe
I noticed a hose coming out of the firewall under the charcoal canister that's just a aluminum pipe not connected. Where is that line go too?
I'm not 100% sure but I think thats a line for the AC. Maybe your truck had it at one time and someone took it off.

You still need to check your afm with a meter and make sure thats not the problem. You said you unplugged it and it didn't run (which is what it will do anyway) but it didn't run when you plugged it back in. If it's bad the truck still won't run so you need to confirm if it's bad or good.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM

It still has the a/c. I will check afm in the a.m.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected and hooked up to the right spots.

Had 2 tiny lines not connected after I did my head gaskets and it wouldnt fire up or even begin to try to start. Connected them and it fired up right away.

I know the 22re and the 3vze are very picky about it, they both have a very strong vacuum.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just recently bought it, with fuel tank off, cause they thought it was the fuel pump. I put tank back on and pump in and went to fire it up and nothing, it cranks, has fuel, has sparks at plugs when I take them out. Sprayed ether and still wont attempt to sputter or start. Only has 55,000 miles, everything looks clean don't look like much has been serviced.
Have you checked for any stored codes?.
I would think you could still check that.

Now I'm wondering about fuel pressure.

Last edited by ksti; 01-05-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Maybe the spark plugs are hooked up to the distributor in the wrong order? I did that once.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones
Maybe the spark plugs are hooked up to the distributor in the wrong order? I did that once.
The spark delay is normal it's 4 stroke not 2, like a lawn mower.

The AFM maybe faulty but its not relevent during the cranking, http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h23.pdf page 6, spark is triggered directly by the cam sensor (NE). Meaning it should fire with starting fluid momentarily.

You could try dropping the muffler also, but I'd expect atleast a sputter from starting fluid.

If it won't run on ether... Its not getting enough spark, at the proper times. (Indicating bad plug wiring or other Timing issues) Embossed on the Distributor cap is a #1 make sure this goes to the front cylinder, clockwise the next one is #3, then #4 and finally #2.

How healthy was the spark, at the distributor side of the igniter/coil? It should jump atleast half an inch there, and a similar distance at the spark plug.

Check the spark gap in the distributor.
Throw a cheap set of plugs at it?

Did you change the fuel filter, or test the injectors and fuel pressure?

Pull the valve cover and make sure that everything that should be is moving?

And just for future reference.. When Looking at a vehicle with "fuel delivery problems" It's best to bring a can of starting fluid with you, if it doesn't sputter or run cut thier price in half atleast.

Search for "Factory Service Manual" aka. FSM It is you new verys best friend. Someone might even link to one before you get back out of bed, but it won't be me.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 AM

Be more specific

Can you give us more of a description about what happens when you try to start it? How many cranks, speed of crank, better warm or cold, any weird sounds etc...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Just cranks, cranks, won't ever start
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Here's the latest, drained gas tank and sprayed ether just for giggles in the intake, and it sputtered a little very little, but tried it again and nothing, added new fuel and still nothing, I have pressure in the tank when empty, but nothing with fuel, cause when I remove the gas cap there isn't that ppisssssst releasing pressure, but does empty. I don't really know how to check a lot of the above items.

Quick Reply: 95 won't fire up.