Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 runner...body or engine swap?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 runner...body or engine swap?

Ok, so here's the deal.

My 95 runner was just hit by a truck at work Monday. It took out the passenger side.

The driver side was already somewhat banged up.

Both doors, door glass on front, fender, mirror, and front marker light are toast.

Something tweaked on suspension.

Anywho, we settled at what I feel was fair enough and I keep the truck.

In the two years I have owned it I have replaced springs and shocks (moog springs and factory yota shocks), front wheel bearing, rotors pads and hardware with quality parts and most of the fuel system amongst other things.

Truck had head gaskets and timing belt done 6k ago, new radiator at that time everything works as should.

I'm looking at a donor vehicle Sunday.

170k with similar parst replaced although of unknown quality level.

Body straight.

Heads off from blown gaskets so I have to take sellers word on condition of drive train, though new parts indicate good service history.

Should I drop my engine in the new unknown rig, or fix my suspension (fluffy for lack of better word with shimmy starting at 30...did.t take it faster n my 2 mile limp home) and swap his body on my known rig.

I'm leaning towards motor swap....gives me a chance to drop my engine on the stand and give it a once over.....but I'll be irritated if I do and something is fubared.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to see what is "tweaked" first... maybe something small, maybe the alignment is just WAY outta whack now... If its anything other than say a bent tie rod (i.e.- frame damage and the like), motor swap for sure.

What i would do if your current 4runner is "totaled" is part it out and use that money to drop a 3.4 in the donor vehicle, and/or fix up what is wrong with the donor. Kill two birds with one stone....er, 4runner.