Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 cummins build

Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daved5150

"One day my thing that I want to do is take a 96 f350 and put a 5.9 12v in."

DixieThunder, just do it man. I'm sure you read my post. I'd love to do mine but life has other plans for me. But maybe when my 13 yo son is older and has money...the truck's name is Overkill. She was a plowing machine with the 4.10's and 351v8 and was able to keep with the best of Buffalo's snow storms. But with the torque of the Cummins, I couldn't imagine it...
Oh yeah! I'll definitely do it just a matter of time.
WOW! That's so nasty! If I can keep my current rig after I get a new one the ol' DixieThunder will see a motor swap too! If I can find a 4bt then obviously doing that but most likely I'll be dropping something along the lines of what you did in it. But I was thinking of maybe throwing a 383 in it figure if it's going to be the fun rig it mine as well be a death rig hahaha!!! But after just doing a full clutch job (replaced all the clutch components except 2 of the lines) I'm content with not working on anything for a bit.

But back on TOPIC please submit this to some magazines man! Someone if not a couple of them would definitely be out to feature it. BUT if you get something crazy like cover then uh you know you have to send us all a copy of it right? Just kidding bro, but I'll prolly buy a couple copies.

Last edited by DixieThunder; 06-10-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Scribed! Love Cummings! Besides my Toyota I have a '04 Dodge Ram 3500 with 207,000 miles on her. Love your work bro.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Man this truck flat out rocks. As a former owner of many dodge cummins diesels and a true dieselhead at heart I applaud you. I would love to see this thing in person. Any youtube videos of it? Well done!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM

well boys.... you talked me into it. im going to send a few picks off and see if they will feature it in a magizine... and once again thank you thank you... it was fun to build this, but its even better knowing that its liked by folks. its kinda fun... and if i ever get it out again ill get some video for you gentelman. seems like every weekened and most weekdays im down in the garage workin on the ford. the hunts are commin up and idk if im gonna make it. but im pushin for it.

but i will for sure keep you boys updated... thanks for all the compliments guys. if any one has any questions let me know. im happy to help.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Cummins is awesome, but I wonder how hard it would be to fit a VW tdi engine in these trucks? Better mileage probably and lighter.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gregs94Toy
Cummins is awesome, but I wonder how hard it would be to fit a VW tdi engine in these trucks? Better mileage probably and lighter.
That would be a cool swap for sure. The 4bt fully dressed is only about 250 lb heavier then the stock 6 cyl that came out of my Yoda. The gvw of this truck is actually lighter now then stock by a cupple hundred pounds with a full take of fuel and and me in it. I don't know how though. But I did take a foot out of the bed and cut everything I didn't need out of it. And the milage bounces right between 23 and 24 mpg. The vw swap would be a good swap for sure. Smmaller and lighter. The only thing it would lack is some of the power. Not that you need all the power of the cummins. But its sure fun to run her up to 15 lbs of boost and pass a a gasser or two and watch there faces .
Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Inspiration for my next project, I have always wanted to throw a diesel in one!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Only 15 lbs of boost? You know how to adjust that VE rotary pump right?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Yep. Put a 3200 spring. Gave it a little more fuel. I can get injectors for 60 each. But there's no reason. My top speed is 65. Cause its so low geared. And I can push 18 is a high got it so far.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by highntight
Yep. Put a 3200 spring. Gave it a little more fuel. I can get injectors for 60 each. But there's no reason. My top speed is 65. Cause its so low geared. And I can push 18 is a high got it so far.
Did you turn the main fuel screw in the back of the pump with the dunce cap on it? Yeah it won't make you go any faster on the top end, just get you to 65 quicker lol. You can also take that AFC spring completely out for a lot of extra smoke on the low end lol
Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM

No. Just adjusted the fuel pin diafram to get a little more fuel under boost. And I still may do more fuel miss and injectors once I build some type overdrive unit for some highway use. And the huge turbo I'm running now is laggy enough. I'll put my common rail turbo on it this summer.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by highntight
No. Just adjusted the fuel pin diafram to get a little more fuel under boost. And I still may do more fuel miss and injectors once I build some type overdrive unit for some highway use. And the huge turbo I'm running now is laggy enough. I'll put my common rail turbo on it this summer.
Yeah I recommend turning that full power screw on the block side of the injector pump, that is where you go from 15 psi to 25 psi with about 1 1/2 turns. There's a lock nut on there don't forget to tighten it back down after turning the screw or else it could back out. Holset HY35/ 9cm exhaust housing would be perfect for that application, helps low end spool-up and boost for rock crawling. 40-60 hp injectors with the screw turn will be plenty for that truck.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 PM

For sure. I didn't want to push the engines to hard right out of the gate since I got it on good faith that it was a good runner. And I agree. Be I nice little boost in fuel. I'm gonna try the stock he351 off my 05 cummins. I have had it laying around since I put the stage 2 injectors and 62 fat shaft on that. Should be a completly different truck with that turbo. All the low end it can handle for stock Yoda axles. If ya know what I mean.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Yeah it will be interesting to see the limits of a 4bt, those turbos will fit on the manifold of the smaller engine I take it?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM

yes i think they will. im 99 percent sure its the exact same flange... ya should be pretty decent mod. just have to change my down pipe a little bit. and thank you for the ideas for sure. ill keep ya posted with updates when i get to them...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM

The dunce cap looking thing is like a "tamper proof" cap that was meant to be broken off lol. Continued success on the project, can't wait to see more pics.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gregs94Toy
Continued success on the project, can't wait to see more pics.
I second the motion!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM

started the cummins build for the ford today.... pretty excited

the build is comming along, got some more picks of the yoda need to get them posted up... made another trip down to the green river...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Oh man those are coming along awesome! Cant wait to see more.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Hey dude, nice color choice for the block....reminds me of deer season...blaze orange for hunter safety. Great job, can't wait to see this thing.

Gotta an sticker idea for ya for the rear window that i was going to use on mine, if you want. You always see the Fords with Cummins motors on other forums called Fummins, etc. which I don't like. I'm getting beat here so I will post it up for you or maybe PM you. Let me know. Peace out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 cummins build