Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4Runner performance issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner performance issue

Hey there,
I've got a 95 4Runner 2WD with a 3vze engine (V6)
I've been having performance issues, it would have poor acceleration, shake when it was in drive idle like it was about to choke out, shake at highway speeds of 55-60 mph when at about 2000 rpms. The exhaust would also smell heavily of gas all the time, and I could smell it in the cab while driving when I accelerated from a stop. When I would keep the rpms at 2500, it would die down to 2000, then go back up to 2500, back to 2000, ect... over and over again as long as I kept it there. (Pulsing up and down I guess.) I replaced spark plugs and wires. Nothing. I rotated tires thinking that was the shake at highway speeds. Nothing. I took apart the throttle body and cleaned out the intake manifold with intake cleaner and replaced the air filter, then I did a sea foam treatment on it. Still nothing. It threw a check engine light recently so I used the Haynes manual to decode it. My TPS was bad. I replaced it thinking that maybe that was the whole problem all along. Did literally nothing except clear the engine light. Any advice?
Off topic, a mechanic told me a couple months back that my water pump has a slight leak, and that when they replace the pump on these trucks, they do the timing belt as well cause it pretty much comes out with the pump. Could a bad timing belt cause this maybe?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Compression test results???
Old 07-04-2017, 01:03 PM

What do you mean? I've never head of that
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
sound like it could be fuel pressure related. someone recently posted about the pressure regulator. might look into that. test it

oh, and any difference when the engine is hot or cold?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:33 AM

Ok I'll look into that thanks

No difference between hot it cold, no.