Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4Runner Build/Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner Build/Rebuild

Here is my first Toyota. Picked it up already damaged. After owning a 94 Isuzu Trooper we wanted something with a little less miles (165k VS 221K) and a little better fuel economy. The Trooper was a beast; big frame, cavernous interior but you could watch the gas needle fall as you drove it.

The following pictures are my starting point. Havent done anything to the vehicle when they were taken. The 4Runner is a 3.0 Auto 4x4 model.

Now for some luxury interior shots

And here it is all fixed up.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Day 2 and 3.

Alright, here is after a mild PA Sunday. Hooked a chain to a tree, hooked the other end of the chain to the truck and selected reverse. This was just for gross dent pulling. I used a come along to get me closer and to work out creases. Had to let it sit for a couple days but was able to work on it again this weekend and a couple nights as well. A lot of sledge hammering this week. A LOT. I am finally to the point I feel comfortable to start fitting. I used the replacement fender and headlight as a reference point while I was shaping so its just a matter of lining up at this point. Once spring rolls around I'll have to go back and do some wire wheeling and self etching primer on some spots but its too cold for paint at this point.

Thats all I have for now. I had to pound on the very edge of the frame where the bumper bolts up. The plate was just a little tweaked. It was twisted upward. Looking forward to get it inspected and on the road.

Last edited by sciroccosven; 12-08-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: because
Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM

It was an air tool night tonight, wasn't wasting anytime or body heat. Freezing outside. If something was in the way it got the air grinder. Parts needed bolted down they got the impact and air ratchet. Before I turned into a popsicle I did manage to get the fender final fitted for the winter as well as the bumper. I think I will probably weld up a bumper after winter. As mentioned before the mounting plate where the bumper support bolts to the frame was twisted. I managed to get it close but its not going to be perfect. I ended up knocking the two square nuts that are tacked inside off the frame so I just used two 17mm bolts I had to attach it.

On the way home from work I was able to get to the junkyard tonight to pick-up some bulb sockets. The turn and corner bulb sockets were completely gone from the previous owners collision with a telephone pole.

I still need to "fix" my front bumper lights. My 95 4runner uses a socket that is larger than my bumper's lights. I think the bumper I have is from an older truck. It has a metal lower front valence and has endcaps where mine was a solid bumper with plastic lower valence. The lights are smaller in dimension and the hole in the back is too small. I am going to have to take some time with a dremel and a drum sanding bit. Was considering a wood spade but I dont trust the plastic will co-operate without cracking.

Hoping to get some time tomorrow night to get the turn signal bulbs fitted in the older style lights so I can take a stab at getting it inspected. Will post some pics when I get the grill in.

Last edited by sciroccosven; 12-08-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Alright, car is inspected as of today. Its still at the shop, I had them do an alignment. Not planning on lifting it until warmer weather arrives and I don't want to chew up the tires till then.

I was able to fit my 95 bulb sockets in the older style turn signal assemblies. Just used a drum sander bit to round out the hole to make a compression fit. I could find my other dremel bits so I used a jigsaw to cut out the 4 slots so the socket would seat all the way. Will post some pics of the final product for now.