Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 v6 pickup cutting out help!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you messed with the tps or air flow sensor??
Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
have you messed with the tps or air flow sensor??
Only touched the MAF when I put on the cold air intake
Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Edionne13
To check codes use a paper clip to go from port e1 - t1 or te1 I believe I can't remember the last one but then turn key into the on position check for codes by blinking light
Okay I just decided to check the truck one more time for codes just for the heck of it and got 1 short pause 4 long pause so im guessing code 14? I think it has something to do with the igniter? Dont know much about it, if you could shed some light that would be awesome
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thehollywood811
Okay I just decided to check the truck one more time for codes just for the heck of it and got 1 short pause 4 long pause so im guessing code 14? I think it has something to do with the igniter? Dont know much about it, if you could shed some light that would be awesome
I had those early signs of my igniter going bad.. cutting out at highway speeds... and idles just fine at a stope... eventually though it will crap out all the way and you'll be cussin up a storm like I was in 110 degree weather lol... those things are pricey. went ahead and replaced coil to just cuz I dfidnt wanna get stuck again lol.. not mistaken code 14 is saying it doesnt have the IGF signal (I Got Fire) basically the ecm will shut power to the injectors if the igniter isnt sending the IGF signal back to the ecm, or if the ecm just isnt able to read it... usually the igniter tho.. or a short in the wire from the igniter to ecm
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM

I had those early signs of my igniter going bad.. cutting out at highway speeds... and idles just fine at a stope... eventually though it will crap out all the way and you'll be cussin up a storm like I was in 110 degree weather lol... those things are pricey. went ahead and replaced coil to just cuz I dfidnt wanna get stuck again lol.. not mistaken code 14 is saying it doesnt have the IGF signal (I Got Fire) basically the ecm will shut power to the injectors if the igniter isnt sending the IGF signal back to the ecm, or if the ecm just isnt able to read it... usually the igniter tho.. or a short in the wire from the igniter to ecm
Mine started as just missfiring (what I called cutting out) on the highway but now it has gotten worse as to missfiring when you just get on the gas a bit when driving at any speed and also it seems the power surges as well, any way to be sure its the igniter before I spend like 300 bucks?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
slow down, be calm, check simple dumb things first. grounds tight and clean? all hoses secure with no cracks? whats the timing set at?

Code 14 is ignition signal. possible causes:

Open or short in IGF or IGT

circuit from igniter to ECM

Igniter

ECM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf

^^ this is how to check for engine codes

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...94electron.pdf
^^ this is where stuff is located
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Mine started as just missfiring (what I called cutting out) on the highway but now it has gotten worse as to missfiring when you just get on the gas a bit when driving at any speed and also it seems the power surges as well, any way to be sure its the igniter before I spend like 300 bucks?
unfortunately not according to the FSM can only check the coil... someone correct me if Im wrong.. But Id bet $5 bucks your igniter is bad... mine started cutting out only in 5th... then more so in 4th.. till eventually it was every gear... I was 2 hours from home too... but I can tell ya thats exactly how mine went... took a total of 2 days of course Im a mobile service so its running on and off every day for those 2 days... once it goes out, thats when your in a bind cuz the stupid truck wont move far... I found my igniter to start showing its problems after 10-15 minutes so the engine bay could get warm, thats when the readings from the igniter were getting weak was only when it was hot aka running temp. new igniter and boy was I happy... goin strong ever since... oh yeah I bet your rpm needle surges big time when your going down the road to..mainly when you start givin it extra gas... my needle surged and jumped out the wa zoo

Last edited by Scrussanation; 12-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM

on page eg2 -195 ( its about 12 pages down) it shows how to test the ecm for proper function regarding the igniter. There is no test for the igniter that I have found. So if the ecm tests ok per these instructions then the igniter is at fault.

it is quite possible it is the igniter, I would try a junkyard igniter first. I got one for 30 bucks one time because the coil was attached to it.... ran great for many years... to each their own on the parts you buy. good luck
Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM

unfortunately not according to the FSM can only check the coil... someone correct me if Im wrong.. But Id bet $5 bucks your igniter is bad... mine started cutting out only in 5th... then more so in 4th.. till eventually it was every gear... I was 2 hours from home too... but I can tell ya thats exactly how mine went... took a total of 2 days of course Im a mobile service so its running on and off every day for those 2 days... once it goes out, thats when your in a bind cuz the stupid truck wont move far... I found my igniter to start showing its problems after 10-15 minutes so the engine bay could get warm, thats when the readings from the igniter were getting weak was only when it was hot aka running temp. new igniter and boy was I happy... goin strong ever since... oh yeah I bet your rpm needle surges big time when your going down the road to..mainly when you start givin it extra gas... my needle surged and jumped out the wa zoo
May sound dumb but where is the igniter actually located?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

look up 2 posts. click on the second link. it has it all. it should be Underneath the coil
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Scrussanation...i think i might just pick up one of these just to be safe so if it ends up not being the issue im only out 40 bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Toyota-Hilux-Pickup-Truck-4Runner-Surf-3VZE-COIL-IGNITER-89621-12050-ba2-/370951504327?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565e6ec1c7&vxp=mtr
Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 AM

I've had this issue but it wasnt in 4th or 5th gear I had a surge of power once I put in cold air intake. The oil from it. Had messed with the VMAF once I had replaced that. There was no more surges. That may not be your problem but it's an idea.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector
slow down, be calm, check simple dumb things first. grounds tight and clean? all hoses secure with no cracks? whats the timing set at?

Code 14 is ignition signal. possible causes:

Open or short in IGF or IGT

circuit from igniter to ECM

Igniter

ECM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf

^^ this is how to check for engine codes

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...94electron.pdf
^^ this is where stuff is located
^X2
Don't throw parts at it.
Could be a ground issue.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ksti

^X2
Don't throw parts at it.
Could be a ground issue.
I looked best I could around the truck and didnt seem to find anything out of the ordinary :/ is there any specific grounds and such that would be important to check?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I looked best I could around the truck and didnt seem to find anything out of the ordinary :/ is there any specific grounds and such that would be important to check?
Yes, There is one at ignitor/coil, one from negative battery terminal to inner fender bolt, one near engine hook before #6 cylinder.

Just being corroded/dirty or poor contact can cause an issue.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ksti

Yes, There is one at ignitor/coil, one from negative battery terminal to inner fender bolt, one near engine hook before #6 cylinder.

Just being corroded/dirty or poor contact can cause an issue.
Alright thanks ill check it out later today, ive also been told to run some injector cleaner in my gas and for 3.50 a can might as well try it right? Ill post an update later
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Hey just thought Id let you know the last few days when I start the truck up even right after it had been driven and was still warm (considering its 25ish degrees out) it almost cant decide whether it wants to idle high or low and goes up and down really fast around 5 or 6 times then usually will be fine, it doesnt do this everytime but it just seems like it can never decide what idle rpm to be at...
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Im still voting igniter. Your truck will sound crazy during warmup because of the cold start injector. Me personally I want to bypass mine becomes a annoyance. I would totally buy the 50 dollar igniter and coil certainly cheaper then my fix. I paid 279 + 80 @O'Reilly but I did it so I could get the warranty lol
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Im still voting igniter. Your truck will sound crazy during warmup because of the cold start injector. Me personally I want to bypass mine becomes a annoyance. I would totally buy the 50 dollar igniter and coil certainly cheaper then my fix. I paid 279 + 80 @O'Reilly but I did it so I could get the warranty lol
Yeah, I went to my local scrap yard and there selling them for 65 bucks on the spot but idk if I wanna risk it for something that might not be in working condition, ill have to see if I can talk em down
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Heres a few pics of my cap and rotor, I have been told there both good and bad so decided to let you guys be the judge
Attached Thumbnails 94 v6 pickup cutting out help!-forumrunner_20131214_124344.png   94 v6 pickup cutting out help!-forumrunner_20131214_124402.png   94 v6 pickup cutting out help!-forumrunner_20131214_124409.png  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 v6 pickup cutting out help!