Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 3.0L 4runner overheating not headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 3.0L 4runner overheating not headgasket

I got this 94 4runner v6 3.0l 5sp 4X4 that I took as partial payment for a job. It will sit and idle forever. It will drive in town for 14 miles almost to the mile before it starts to overheat. I have done a headgasket test and it seems to be ok. The test I use is the Matco headgasket tester that measures co2 in the cooling system. I did clean the entire cooling system with a flushing agent and it is sparkling clear. I took the t stat out and cut the center out to increase flow for the flush, and I get real good flow. The cooling fan I have on it is the black magic electric setup, and is on a relay with key on. It also has a venom ecm upgrade. Also put a new cap on the radiator. It takes about 10 miles for the car to get to operating temp, then 4 miles later just goes from normal to hot fast. Any ideas will be taken as gold.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Radiator has sufficient buildup inside (can't be flushed out) that it's not transferring heat like it should. New radiator will solve this. CSF makes a 3 row for around $200 that works great, but has a crappy petcock (no leaks, just not very good design) & you have to beat it a little on the bottom to get it to fit into the truck (easy adjustment).
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I did a search and ended up here, in efforts to not repeat threads.

I purchased my 1991 3.0L 4x4 4Runner yesterday, on the way home it felt very underpowered. Has 215k miles on it so i figured I will do a tune-up, fuel injector change, drain and change all oils/filters and drain and clean coolant system. Guy said it has 'new' timing belt and radiator (radiator does look new). I checked the vitals before I purchased, I was happy for a running engine, decent body and working electrics for $1400. I figured I'd spend about $1200 bringing it to my standards. Well, it overheated on the way home. It was fine most of the 24 miles, then 1/2 mile before my exit i saw it getting warmer, so i let off the gas and thought it would cool down quickly since i'm rolling about 65mph, and the coolant is flowing through the engine at idle. Wrong, by the time i hit the end of the off ramp i was steaming. My wife thought it was funny!

Rolled into nearby gas station (lucky?) waited for the show to end, opened the radiator and slowly started adding more coolant, more steamthen started spraying out. Eventually it cooled down enough that I was able to put in coolant and have it sit in there. Engine temp was still reading red. I turned engine over to get the coolant flowing, stopped cranking, waiting a little bit more. I was comfortable to drop some water over the engine to aid in the rest of the cooling down. Engine stopped turning over. I knew that the starter acts up, I could tell it had been pounded on plenty for the old 'hammer your starter and it will work' trick. Well, i tried that myself but I didn't have anything 'heavy'. I'm really hoping it's still the starter thats broken. I can't imagine a seized engine. Also, i saw chunks of plastic and other rust looking stuff bubble out of the radiator when it was a volcano. I assume a thorough cleaning of the entire coolant system is needed. Except one radiator hose the rest seem to be new.

I couldn't sleep, I was mad at myself for driving it harder than I should have. Now, I figure the worst case is new engine at about $1500, installed by myself and a friend.

Anyway, I wanted to share my story, and prepare you guys for further questions I will inevitably have. Please, if you have any thoughts or ideas or input, feel free to share!