Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 4Runner Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions: 92 4Runner Transmission

Here is my situation:

I noticed a nice looking 4Runner for sale when I was driving a week ago. I got someone to look into it for me and apparently the guy wants $600 for it! The problem is the tranny is bad. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it is an auto or manual. It does have the V6 however. I won't be able to get a good look at it because its covered in snow now. For that cheap I don't think I can pass it up. Even if I can't afford to have two Toy's, I figure I can get a working tranny in it and sell it for more.

I'm going to assume its an auto. I'm also assuming that a good used tranny will be $500-700.

Questions:

Any idea what transmission is in there? I haven't heard great things about the auto/3vze combo, but I believe in regular maintenance.

I wouldn't be able to replace it myself, so how many hours (being generous) do you figure it would take for a garage to get a replacement installed?

I don't know anything about transmissions, what else would need to be replaced(transfer case??, torque converter??) if I managed to find a working used one?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to taking a good look at this Runner(as long as it is 4x4) when the snow melts.

Last edited by pwd; 02-21-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likly the a304h which imho is a piece of crap and what I have in my runner. It is common to see them sold with "bad trans". that is still a good deal especially if the body and motor are in good shape or you already have a runner cause you know your going to need parts
Good used a304h are slightly hard to come by and when mine goes up i am doing 5spd swap.
As far as other parts, usually when you get a used one it will have transfer and what ever else you need or you can swap over from the bad one.

Install is not hard but I would guess a shop would charge 3-6 hours.
Good luck hope this helps
Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a myriad of questions all based on conjecture?

If it's an automatic.. and worse case considered: rebuild the trans... 600 is not a bad price... I mean would you pay 3000 for a 4Runner with an autmatic trans and a receipt with "mileage to prove" it was just rebuilt? (yeah, that's assuming it'd cost 2400 to rebuild the trans)

As for what trans is in there... I suppose you could search and find out what percentage of runners of that year were equipped with auto and stick then figure out which trans is most likely installed.

As for time involved for a shop to change it... that would depend somewhat on the shop and which trans. I do agree with Bobzombie that a good shop should be able to R&R a trans in less than 6 hours... considering the replacement is on hand and ready to install.
A home mechanic with jack stands and transmission jack could do it in one... maybe two days.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
pwd

So I'm finally going to check this 4Runner out tomorrow (hopefully its not covered in snow). One thing I forgot to mention is that its been sitting for at least 2 years... I'm hoping the 3.0 is still in decent running shape. I'm be taking pictures for sure and hopefully getting a close look at it.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM

Trans

Well the Jeep guys seem to think the AW4's which is th e same as an A340 is a pretty good transmission. If you want to feel like your gutless 3.0 has power I guess you need to find a 5spd. I have a A340 in my '83 with a 22R and would trade it for nothing. If I want to drive something with more power I'l drive my Dodge with a Cummins, if I want to drive something fast I'll drive my Dodge Charger Daytona R/T. If I want to go four wheeling creeping through the woods I'll take the Toy with the auto.
Just my opinion, but then again I live in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM
pwd

Got to go take a brief look at it today, definitely looks like its in decent shape. The frame seemed solid and had about the same about of rust my 95 Truck did when first acquiring it. Check it out:

I couldn't crawl too far under the truck so I just took a quick shot of the front end. Seems fairly decent shape, typical northern Ontario rust. Nothing that can be fixed up with a good blast from a pressure washer then sprayed with some FluidFilm.

Here is what the engine looks like after 2 (?) years of sitting. IMO, not too bad.

So I definitely want to get this Runner (Hopefully within the next month). My plan is to haul it on a trailer, then replace some fluids etc... then try starting it up. I don't think I'd want to try starting it just after its been sitting for that length of time. Does that sound logical?

Last edited by pwd; 10-11-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

holy rusty, but 600 bucks isn't bad
Old 03-07-2009, 04:32 PM
pwd

^ Ya its definitly a fix-er-upper in the rust department, but like I said, nothing drastic.

Can a MOD please rename this thread to "92 4Runner Questions (pics)" ? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was about to say "HOly MiLes HiGh!!!"...then I saw you're in Canada..and that they were KM ...
I'd drive it..the body looks like its in pretty decent condition.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 PM

wow, 2 years sitting aout there like that! I would definitely check to see if any critters made there home in there somewhere.

Very good deal though. Good luck
Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
pwd

If I am lucky enough to get it, I will be cleaning the rusty clamps etc... in the engine bay as much as I can, unless things really need replacing. The more I write about it , the more I'm wishing I was working on it right now, especially during good weather like here today.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
are you kidding? that thing has very little rust considering geographic location!

and if you are willing to drive to Pennsylvania, I will give you a free 100% functional a340h with T/C....

and whoever said the a340h is weak is wrong haha. It is a very very stout transmission. with just regular maintenance, my master toy tech says they will long out-live the life of the vehicle. He has been a tech for 14 years and he has only ever had one failure, and that was a high mileage, hard driven, never serviced transmission...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels

and whoever said the a340h is weak is wrong haha. It is a very very stout transmission. with just regular maintenance, my master toy tech says they will long out-live the life of the vehicle. He has been a tech for 14 years and he has only ever had one failure, and that was a high mileage, hard driven, never serviced transmission...
I agree, about the only thing that seems to go wrong with them is the shift solenoids. Of course the 3.0 doesn't really have enough power to hurt them much as long as the ATF is kept cool and clean.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
pwd

@bigtrucknwheels: thats quite the offer! I wish I was closer.

I just called the guy who has it bu he said first come first serve, if its here when you come its yours. (he won't hold it for me) He said the day he retired it was when he was in town, it really started to slip at the stoplights etc.. but he said it drove ok on the highway. So my next question is, what are some tips on getting a 4Runner that doesn't drive on a trailer? Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pwd
So my next question is, what are some tips on getting a 4Runner that doesn't drive on a trailer? Thanks again!

and

OR

These guys to help you...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM
pwd

Lol wow, thats alot of little people! ^^

So tomorrow I'm hopefully getting someone to pay for the Runner and get the ownership (if its not sold already). I've get some more noobie questions:

How can I clean up the top of the motor( I don't even know what its called, but the big silver ish part with the 3.0 logo on it)? My 95 Truck has the same motor so it would be nice to clean them both up.

After reading this article about some of the main reasons the 3.0's head gaskets fail, the first thing I'm going to do when I have time to work on it is try flushing the rad and cleaning it with Prestone SiperFlush. I plan on trying out the stock Toyota red coolant too.

What are some things I should do before attempting to start this engine thats been sitting for over two years?

Last edited by pwd; 03-22-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM
pwd

Speed BUMP
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pwd
Lol wow, thats alot of little people! ^^

So tomorrow I'm hopefully getting someone to pay for the Runner and get the ownership (if its not sold already). I've get some more noobie questions:

How can I clean up the top of the motor( I don't even know what its called, but the big silver ish part with the 3.0 logo on it)? My 95 Truck has the same motor so it would be nice to clean them both up.

After reading this article about some of the main reasons the 3.0's head gaskets fail, the first thing I'm going to do when I have time to work on it is try flushing the rad and cleaning it with Prestone SiperFlush. I plan on trying out the stock Toyota red coolant too.

What are some things I should do before attempting to start this engine thats been sitting for over two years?
fresh fuel is important. also, check your spark plug wires, coolant, oil (may want to change the oil a.s.a.p.), belts, the coolant in the radiator as well (take off the little cap), and the battery.

being a Toyota, it will probably start up just fine haha.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
pwd

UPDATE: I got the 4Runner! My dad towed it back home for me so I can work on it when I'm there for a while in the summer. Here are some pics:

I'm pretty exited to start working on it and getting it road worthy (it looks great in the pictures but it will need a new tranny, new brakes .. (and pretty much everything I've had done on my Truck as seen in my sig). I will need a battery and was wondering what anyone though of the NASCAR Exterme by Exide. I was on the web-site and it does not have the model for a 92 4Runner, will it not fit?

Last edited by pwd; 10-11-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM

I live in Upper Michigan...and have a a340 sitting in my garage at the moment. Its got the 4 cylinder bell housing, but im pretty sure it could be swapped? 140 thousand on it. But thats a decent haul to here from Ontario...

Thats a nice find too...i would of bought it

Quick Reply: 92 4Runner Transmission