Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 with 22re surging now

Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 with 22re surging now

92 pickup with the 22re I just replaced the injectors in it I was having trouble losing power going up hills along with a bad vibrations when its put in gear {another post} anyhow I took it out in my field to see how the power problem was and got out there and it started to surge [idle up an down] loss power really bad I tried giving it a little more gas and it acted like it just wanted to die out let off gas almost completely and it went back to idling ok . I turned it around and headed back home the bad is I had to hills I had to go up will had a hard time getting up them it went back to surging again but by letting off the gas almost all the way it just made it up them. it has all new plugs,cap,rotor,wires and coil that the guy I got it from had just replaced . when I bought it I had to drive it about 50miles to get it home and besides the vibration when I had to stop at a light it ran pretty good it was a little doggy on hills but other then that seemed ok . does anybody have a clue wants going on now ? the injs. are the flamethrower ones cant believe its them . thanks for any help !
Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 AM

could the new injectors be causing a problem ?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
intake air duct loose sucking air?...under the tps is a thermostatically operated air bypass . it depends on the coolant passing thru it to function properly its very common to plug with sediments -sludge -rust -crap . if its plugged it will have surging issues similar to your description .
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mikesnyhere
intake air duct loose sucking air?...under the tps is a thermostatically operated air bypass . it depends on the coolant passing thru it to function properly its very common to plug with sediments -sludge -rust -crap . if its plugged it will have surging issues similar to your description .
how do I check this thermostatic air bypass ? is it something that can be taken off or ? and what does it look like ? I checked for air likes everything looks good but did find 1 of the clips on the air box off and doesn't seem to want to stay on . thank you for your help!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Check your iacv (idle air control valve) under neath the throttle body. Sometime will get plugged. Mine did and I flushed it out and seems
To be running great now. Let me know when u find out what exactly it is. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
If it wasnt doing this before, it could be the injectors. Have you trued calling flamethrower to ask them?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you checked the codes? My tps was bad and started doing the same thing. Not constant at first but then more and more consistent. Tried flame thrower injectors and they ran good in my truck but my millage still sucked. Checked the codes and my tps was bad. Put a new tps in and I really noticed a difference with my flamethrowers. And my millage is back up in the high teens to low twenty's depending on my mood. . Always check the codes before throwing money at these things.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Check you fuel pressure....you can wait til it warmed up when it starts to miss squeeze the return line that goes back to the tank...If it runs better then you have several possibilities usually its the fuel pump ground wire needs to be replaced and if so use a heavier wire and replace the one in the harness do not run a ground wire to the tank or piggy back it from the wire to another ground....its for a reason but also check for vacuum leaks intake pipe to throttle body and the seals around the butterfly shaft...make sure if you have an egr its clean and the diaphragm is working then start checking the sensors related to cold to hot transition...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by VTToy
how do I check this thermostatic air bypass ? is it something that can be taken off or ? and what does it look like ? I checked for air likes everything looks good but did find 1 of the clips on the air box off and doesn't seem to want to stay on . thank you for your help!
Remove air intake hose going to manifold..look inside intake manifold opening , you will see a hole about 1/2" big.. Cover that hole with some foil tape/duct tape. Reinstall the air intake hose...start the truck. If your surging goes away...your IVAC is clogged..remove it and clean or replace.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
If it wasnt doing this before, it could be the injectors. Have you trued calling flamethrower to ask them?
it wasn't surging before just had a bad lack of power , flamethrower sent me the new ones in hopes that it would help with the power loss . I was thinking of shooting him a email and ask if he thought it was something to do with them .
Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 AM

the surging isn't happing while its idling it when im driving it it will start idling up and down never had a rig do this before and it didn't do it before injectors were installed just had lack of power that was very noticeable going up a hill , flamethrower thought with his new injectors it would help with the power loss but now ive ended up with this strange problem .
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 AM

Sounds like either the injectors are bad and you aren't getting enough gas, or the TPS. I would lean more toward the TPS.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 PM

I had a few mins today and drove it out to are field and it seemed to be better I didn't get any surging . I did disconnect the battery just to give that a try. I plan on taking it back out tomorrow a little further to see what happens .