Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 4Runner

After months of battling with my parents (im only 16), I managed to steal away my sisters 1991 4x4 4runner SR5 (221,000 miles =(). It's 99% stock and in "alright" shape for the little care my sister put into it. The stock suspension is well worn and needs to be replaced, but I want to get a small lift when I replace it with my dad(im only on 31" tires for now). What should I get that's cost effective and quality?

Also, I have a problem with the electrical system. After about 1-2 weeks of it just sitting there, the battery is completely drained. Does anyone have this issue or is something a screwed up?

Last, please give me some suggestions for mods to apply (I want it to be well suited for mudding with my buds) in my next 2 years of high school and 5 years of college.

Thanks, Eric

P.S. I'll post a few pics just so you guys can see it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

just remember quality is always cost effective. Try not to buy something now that your going to have to replace later. good luck and congrats on your runner
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

4x4

I've got 2 questions. 4x4 engages but hasn't actually been run in circa 4 years. Is there anything I should do to keep myself from damaging it on my first outting? I would hate to ruin something I've fought so hard to get. Also, its night-time and I can't go out right now to look, but I think my 4runner has auto-locking hubs. If not, can someone enlighten me with the difference? Will it matter whether I run them locked or unlocked in 2Hi or 4Hi or 4Lo? What's the correct setting for each mode?

P.S. I can't post pictures because it looks as though the maximum is 50kb less someone doesn't mind hosting about 5 pics for me :-D.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 4X4 should be fine. Perhaps check t-case and diff. fluid levels though. Auto locking hubs do exactly what their name implies: they lock in automatically once you engage 4WD. Manual hubs require getting out and locking both hubs in in order for the front wheels to turn. Manual hubs are far better, except for the slight inconvenience. Auto hubs can unlock on you when you put it in reverse, which can easily leave you stuck. With manual hubs, until they're locked in, you're not really in 4WD. You can put it in 4 hi or lo, and the front driveline will turn, but your wheels will not. Being in any mode of 4WD requires the hubs to be locked. Granted, sometimes if I'm backing up a hill and don't want to burn my clutch, I put her in 4lo without having the hubs locked so I can just crawl. This doesn't hurt a thing. In short, auto hubs=pain in the a$$, but don't require getting out of vehicle, manual hubs=more reliable, but require engaging both hubs before your front wheels pull.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW...as for the battery thing, first check to be sure you didn't leave something on/something is constantly pulling on it. For your mods, if you really want to do the mud thing, a locker should be your first mod. Take in mind these can be very annoying on the street, and perhaps isn't the best thing for a daily driver/college vehicle. But I drive with one every day, and I've gotten used to it to where I hardly notice it. If you want lift, depending on how much lift you want, you need either a body or suspension lift (or both). A 4" suspension or 3" body will let you run at least 33s. You could also run ball joint spacers or crank the torsion bars for a few inches up front, and then put blocks or shackles in the rear. Keep in mind that once you go to larger tires, your power and gas mileage will suffer unless you regear, which is pretty expensive. Basically, you should make sure its in tip-top mechanical shape before you go lifting/modding it. Mods don't do you much good if your engine poops out...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking that this would be an interesting cheap mod to do, just because my friend wants me to take my 4runner to his place and run it through his damn tank (wtf right?)

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/snorkel/

As far as suspension goes, what should I get?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM

Welcome Aboard, and SEARCH. Our search feature is the greatest tool you will ever need. This place is full of great information. All you gotta do is search.

Someone had to say it..
Old 12-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

I know ;-). I knew it would be posted to search. Funny thing is, I already did. I wanted someone's personal opinion on what to get. I need to clear a few things up. 1: I know very little about automotives. 2: I know even less than you're thinking. .

BTW: Easier than posting back and forth on the forum, my AIM s/n is: aimislame15

Last edited by 91_4runner; 12-29-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91_4runner
As far as suspension goes, what should I get?
Option #2 or #3 ...for the money, you wont find a better package.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54794

Last edited by rocket; 12-29-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

My über-lame pictures. It was a crappy day. At this point, my sister still "owned" the vehicle and wouldnt even let me get the keys to get inside... rotten #$%^&.

Nothing great, a stock 4runner with some A/T tires.

EDIT: Front view.

P.S. I'll take some more tomorrow.

Last edited by 91_4runner; 12-29-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

I think I want to take the running boards off it... give it a bit higher look and a little less weight. It's not quite high enough to need em, and I dont like stepping over something I don't use... I'm tall enough that it really doesn't do much for me (6'1").
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Congrats kid! Looks just like mine, now if I could only figure out why it's stuttering ever 300 miles or so! Enjoy it. My first car was an '87 Toyota 4Runner. Man I loved it. My dad still has it and is working on a bottom to top rebuild only because he wants it cherry.

JJ
Old 12-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Know of any good "trails" (in an area like this ) around San Antonio? I could always go mudding down at my farm or at a friends house.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:36 PM

I just took off mine. Super easy, be sure to hit the bolts with some penetrating oil the night before and then before you start to unscrew. They are 13mm. You will want to go out and get some mud flaps for the front. PepBoys or Autozone has them for about $10. Just use the running board as a template for the holes. I then used some silicone caulk to fill in the edges where they are not tight to wheel well. When you do it, you will see what I mean. The tech section has a great how to with pics.

It looks like you have A.D.D. which means you have live axels. Little different than auto locking hubs. I converted mine to manual hubs for the aforementioned reasons. Easy to do if you have any mechanical experience. Do a search on google for A.D.D. I can't remember where, but there is a great explanation of the system out there.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

*runs upon a plethora of "Attention Deficit Disorder" websites * Can you give a brief description?

NVM: found the site when i specified my search more.

Last edited by 91_4runner; 12-29-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you suggesting I do this?

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 91_4runner
Know of any good "trails" (in an area like this ) around San Antonio? I could always go mudding down at my farm or at a friends house.
OMG yes. Have you heard of "The Den" or "Devil's Den"? It's out near Ingram Park and it is a ton of fun. It gets written up a lot in off-road magazines; supposedly it's a fairly popular spot.

It has medium-to-hard trails, so make sure you make those upgrades before you go out there, and always, always take a buddy with you that can pull you out if you get stuck!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Never heard of it, but I'll be sure to take my bud out there with me when I check it out... You ever been there/have any pics?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 PM

Yeah I've been there twice and it's a ton of fun...I don't have any pics on me but my friend has some video he shot. I'll try to get a hold of it and post it here.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

rpeAMP, get on AIM.

Quick Reply: 91 4Runner