Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4runner 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4runner 3.0

Need help! 91 4 runner starts sputtering after hot i can start it drive it and its fine shut it off let it sit for a bit start it back up and its sputtering, it has new fuel filter plugs wires cap and rotor 6 month old fuel pump new 02 senseor cleaned cold start injector timing belt 2 months ago please help
Old 07-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
some punctuation would be nice!

is it "starts sputtering after hot"?
or, is it "after hot, i can start it, drive it...."?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by thook
some punctuation would be nice!

is it "starts sputtering after hot"?
or, is it "after hot, i can start it, drive it...."?
After its hot from driving it when i start it back up its sputtering
Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 PM

that's a common problem for a bad fuel pressure regulator under "heat soak" conditions.

start it up, let it run a minute or two, then see if there's fuel in the vacuum line going to the regulator
Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM

that's a common problem for a bad fuel pressure regulator under "heat soak" conditions.

start it up, let it run a minute or two, then see if there's fuel in the vacuum line going to the regulator
i checked the regulator there was a small amount of fuel in the vacuum line, i changed the regulator and the cold start injector and its still doing it
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 AM

Need a fix asap please! I'm trying to pull haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Armyross27
i checked the regulator there was a small amount of fuel in the vacuum line, i changed the regulator and the cold start injector and its still doing it
what's the age/mileage on the engine? have you ever had the injectors reconditioned? could be one or more leaky injectors.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jacobfarms
Need a fix asap please! I'm trying to pull haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
maybe the connector under the console cover
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM

what's the age/mileage on the engine? have you ever had the injectors reconditioned? could be one or more leaky injectors.
245,000 miles. I've had the truck for 5 yrs put 100,000 on it and never had them reconditioned. I was wondering if maybe they were leaking too so i pulled the intake off and checked them all they dont seem to be leaking. I also did a drop test on all the cylinders and when i pulled the #2 there was no change but i do have spark to all 6. But again it runs fine when i first start it up. But once its warmed up it sputters and runs rough.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM

I'm trying to haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Old 07-10-2017, 03:32 PM

245,000 miles. I've had the truck for 5 yrs put 100,000 on it and never had them reconditioned. I was wondering if maybe they were leaking too so i pulled the intake off and checked them all they dont seem to be leaking. I also did a drop test on all the cylinders and when i pulled the #2 there was no change but i do have spark to all 6. But again it runs fine when i first start it up. But once its warmed up it sputters and runs rough.
well, it wouldn't hurt to have them reconditioned at that age

then, maybe test your coolant temp sensor. not the sending unit for you dash gauge. the one for ecu fuel trim/timing
Old 07-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobfarms
I'm trying to haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
did you not see i gave a possible answer? try the connector see if it's dirty. or, maybe the switch itself in the selector handle
Old 07-10-2017, 07:28 PM

well, it wouldn't hurt to have them reconditioned at that age

then, maybe test your coolant temp sensor. not the sending unit for you dash gauge. the one for ecu fuel trim/timing
I replaced the temp sensor last year, im going to replace the injectors this weekend and see how it goes if that dont work i might just have to do an engine swap, This truck ran perfect up till this last year and im getting irritated with it thanks for the advice
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 PM

did you not see i gave a possible answer? try the connector see if it's dirty. or, maybe the switch itself in the selector handle
the handle doesn't seem to want to come off. But yeah sure I'll try again. By its a 93 4runner 3.0
Old 07-11-2017, 01:18 PM

I replaced the temp sensor last year, im going to replace the injectors this weekend and see how it goes if that dont work i might just have to do an engine swap, This truck ran perfect up till this last year and im getting irritated with it thanks for the advice
engine swap? hehe...extreme solution, i would say. unless you've just been looking for an excuse

there's other possible culprits. how'd you check the injectors for leakage? where'd you source your fuel pump? i've gotten lemons in the past and had to replace not long after installation. of course, the two i had probs with were china made shown to have probs in internet reviews. didn't learn that, though, until i had started having problems. anyhow, you replaced the temp sensor? with a new unit? brand?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 PM

Fixed it

engine swap? hehe...extreme solution, i would say. unless you've just been looking for an excuse

there's other possible culprits. how'd you check the injectors for leakage? where'd you source your fuel pump? i've gotten lemons in the past and had to replace not long after installation. of course, the two i had probs with were china made shown to have probs in internet reviews. didn't learn that, though, until i had started having problems. anyhow, you replaced the temp sensor? with a new unit? brand?
got it fixed it was the #2 cylinder fuel injector, so i went to the wrecking yard got one and it worked so i went and bought all new stock denso injectors and had the intake and throttle body all cleaned and it runs good now. Also to answer about the temp sensor it was just a stock denso temp sensor, the fuel pump was delphi i had an airtex and went through 2 of them but its running good now