Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

90 4runner V6 unique auto tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 4runner V6 unique auto tranny problems

*I combined 3 posts to form this post*

So I've been working through the nonsense this truck has thrown at me over the last week

Sometimes I start it, go to drive, it's fine.

Sometimes it's slipping, but I can throttle through it, then it'll be fine until I cut it off

It hadn't worked in 2 days, then I reved it to around 4K(first time I broke 3K) and it just took off.

This morning I had a non related issue, had to pull over, cut the truck back on, wouldn't move again. I waited about 30 mins while cutting it on and off, revving it tryin to get it to move, finally I cut it on and it just went.

I've been searching and reading everything I can about this, can't find anyone having the same exact issue.

Right now if I go outside, run through R to D and such, you'll feel the tranny kick, so I know it's got pressure, it has fluid, I've played with the fluid levels plenty so I know it's not a fluid issue, especially since it drove fine on the amount it has.

Revving it doesn't help, going back and forth through R to D with a little throttle doesn't help, cutting it on and off hasn't given me a working drive since this morning.

Since I know the tranny CAN work properly, and HAS worked properly for me, I don't see why it won't work all the time.

Seems to be something electrical, tranny throws a code for the VSS(speedo doesn't work) and engine throws a code for knock sensor, that's it.

I've read about the solenoids, and how they can cause erratic shifting, selective shifting, whatever you want to call it, but this seems to be entirely different as when the truck works, it works fine.

I just don't know what could cause this, I've spent so much wrench time on this thing I'm losing motivation quick.

I'm fairly certain the solenoids are working properly though, as with every gear selection, I can hear/feel a change in engagement.

From my understanding anyways, faulty solenoid would cause it to not engage properly.

The times I've driven it, it runs fine, shifts good, as with the last time I had. Drove it fine about 5-10 mins away, let it idle out front since I was picking up on the issue at that point, then drove back home fine.

I parked it, and it hasn't moved since.

It kicks good and hard into each gear, so I know it has pressure, I feel like the torque converter isn't turning though.

I remember when it was slipping but I throttled through it and it cleared up, I could noticeably hear the sound of fluid moving from the drivers seat.

I just revved it through, got it rolling, stayed on the throttle some and it built pressure and was moving fine on it's own.

I literally don't have any idea what else to check, I read up on the piece on the throttle body that is suppose to control pressure to the tranny(I think that's what it does anyway) but I don't see how it's apparent function controls anything.

With the throttle closed, the cable is pulled all the way out, when you open the throttle, the attachment piece just slides the opposite way, not moving that cable at all.

Just for kicks I unplugged where that cable leads to in front of the driver side firewall close to the fender, no changes.

So I went out and cranked it this morning, tried it in gear before it warmed up, nothing, let it warm up, still nothing.

I drained some more fluid now the level reads perfect on the stick, let it idle some, even cut it off and back on, still no changes.

Just too far out of my ballpark at this point...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was having a problem like that one day and then the next it wouldn't go anywhere. so i decided to not mess with it and pulled the trans and put a 5 speed in it, so for a fix im not sure what could be the problem, but i do think the solenoids are the problem or clutches where my thought when mine went.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be lead to believe it is the solenoids as well, but from what I've read, I should be able to skip down to L or something, or R will work, but nothing else.

The solenoids act very selectively so you can "skip" one to get something out of it, I however get nothing out of it.

I honestly haven't paid that much into this truck, and nor do I want to.
If it comes down to parting it out, or just selling it as is, I will do so in a heartbeat.

I got conned into buying it by my uncle and a friend of the family because it "ran good"...Nothing about it ran at all when I first started on it.

Put a new battery in, had to beat the starter to get it to turn, switched the 12V regulator out and put a Honda alternator on, put the new tranny filter and fluids, did an oil change...and this is where I stand.

I suppose switching the solenoids isn't a problem, but I also don't throw a code for any of them, nor have I at any point since I've had the truck, just the VSS.

Getting to the junkyard is the bigger problem for me, as this is my only vehicle, so I'm trying to exhaust every option I can as is.