Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 Pickup sitting for 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
89 Pickup sitting for 10 years

Hey all,

I just purchased a 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd w/ 184k miles.
It's all stock and was really well taken care of, but it was owned by a really old man that stopped driving it in 2009.
I don't know a whole lot about it, just that it hasn't been driven in a decade.

I'm wondering what I should do to this thing to before I put miles on it?
It runs great, the oil and oil filter looks like it was changed.
I know the head gasket was replaced via recall.
No accidents, clean title, body is perfect and no signs of repaired damage.
It has new tires.

I'm thinking:
- Timing Belt for sure + tensioner, idler pulleys, seals, water pump... other drive belts...
- I know it's a non-interference engine so no big risk but I'd hate to be left stranded on a camping trip.
- Transmission fluid?
- Rear diff fluid? Or don't touch it ("ain't broke")
- Brake fluid / flush ? they work fine...
- Radiator fluid looks bright green, looks new to me.
- Spark plugs, wires, distributor ? At least check for corrosion? Seems to run fine, no misfires.
- Probably intake filter
- Cabin air filter?
- Fuel gauge is broken (always empty) -- probably the sending unit? Should I replace the fuel pump while I'm down there?
- New injectors?
- New Fuel Filter ?

Anything I should spot check?
- No rust underneath
- No creaks from the body
- Suspension feels solid
- Steering is pretty sloppy, probably normal (I'm used to driving a newer car) ?

When do you replace valves and valve springs?

What else? I'm not worried about restoring the whole car -- I just want to make sure I take care of the big things, or things that could cause damage if I don't check it out now.
I won't be doing any rock crawling with it but I did buy it for some light-off-road camping with my family. I got it for a good price so I don't mind throwing a little money at it.

I will probably do (or at least try to do) most the work myself (minus the timing belt & related).

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: PS - I would also appreciate recommendations for things I should do while I have I have the car apart...

Last edited by Truckn; 09-18-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:05 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Heater hoses, radiator hoses, vacuum hoses. You might lift the bed and pull that sending unit out of the gas tank. My tank had an inch of rust and Lots of degraded gas unmentionableness in it. It will also let you see how the frame and such is doing. Fuel filter and rubber lines, plus everything you listed.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbittle:
old87yota (09-19-2020), Truckn (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 04:09 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
And tires, and bleed the brakes.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (09-19-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:58 AM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
"- Transmission fluid?" Yes, 10 years of sitting and building up condensation would be plenty of reason to change it even on a 5 speed.
"- Rear diff fluid? Or don't touch it ("ain't broke")" Yes, same reason as above and you won't know if it's broke until... well... it breaks!
"- Brake fluid / flush ? they work fine..." Yes, most definitely flush the brake fluid. if water has collected in the system you will likely find leaks soon from the corrosion. keep checking your rear wheel cylinders for leaks unless you replace them since you can't see them easily and won't likely notice until the brakes break.
"- Cabin air filter?" I wasn't aware of one in this model year.
"Should I replace the fuel pump while I'm down there?" Not a bad idea if you can do it without destroying the fuel lines (rust and super tight fittings make it tough sometimes)
"When do you replace valves and valve springs?" Never, unless you have evidence of failure. If you ever take the heads off for a gasket change (only if needed) have a machine shop look them over and check the valves.
"Anything I should spot check?
- No rust underneath" Check the rear leaf spring mounts where they attach to the frame, very common spot for them to catch water and dirt inside the frame and completely rot out.
"What else?" Grease everything that has a zerk fitting, check wheel bearings and suspension components for play, drain and fill the t-case, make sure hubs lock/unlock like they should and 4x4 works.
If you are having the t-belt and water pump replaced the fan belts will already be removed, get new ones. radiator hoses will be removed or very close to it, replace them. new thermostat. the coolant will be drained as part of this procedure, flush the heater core before refilling.
Other than that, check the lights and hit the gas!

Last edited by akwheeler; 09-18-2020 at 09:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by akwheeler:
13Swords (09-21-2020), old87yota (09-19-2020), Truckn (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you! Very helpful!