86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 4x4 pickup transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4x4 pickup transmission problems

Hey, all! I'm new Yotas and your forums. Very excited that y'all are here! I just (ecstatically) bought an 89 4x4 pickup with 205k on the odometer. It has a 22re and w56. It has a few problems, but moves and (i think) was well worth it for $1500.

So let's start off. The first thing I noticed was that it makes a strange noise in every gear but 4th. It seems to be a semi-loud mid-pitched whine. From scouring your forums, I believe it's a tranny issue due to the lack of sound in 4th, which seems to be direct drive. This throws me off because it stays in gear and shifts and runs well. The only tranny symptom I can find is that it takes a small amount of extra force to push the shifter into 1st, but nothing difficult. I've only driven newer manual transmission cars, so that may not even be out of the ordinary. The clutch and shifter only make the usual vibrations, not anything out of the ordinary.

Any clue what that might be? Pops thinks it's the throw out bearing, but says that's just a wild guess since he's never worked on a Yota.

My second problem may or may not be an actual problem. Yesterday I took it out to play in the mud a bit. I was going down a mud road in 4-high at around 25mph. I played on that for about 15 minutes and noticed heat on my leg coming from the crack in the worn out shifter boot. I've never done off roading, so I don't know if that's regular or not. To be clear, the boot inside the cab is cracked, but not the one coming out of the transmission. Is that heat regular?

I'm hoping I just need to flush the tranny. No clue when's the last time it got serviced as the previous owner had no service paperwork. I tried to check the fluid, but couldn't get the fill cap off even with wd-40 and a small breaker bar. I'll have to go muscle around with it a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for your responses. Here's some pics of my new toy:

(note: in the second pic the steering wheel is off. I left town for a week and figured that was a great theft deterrent. It has one of those steel aftermarket wheels, so it comes off easy.)

Last edited by Weneversleep; 09-30-2012 at 03:18 PM.