Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 pickup very slow

Old 01-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 pickup very slow

Hey all i have a 1988 toyota pick 222k on her. I knew my truck was really slow but i didnt realize how bad until i drove my buddies truck. Mine will not go up a hil unless dropping into third gear, its on worn 31 inch mud tires with aluminum wheels and a flat bed. bed is lighter then stock as well. ive done a head gasket,stock cam and tps on it a few years back, Also put a new used computer in it because i sunk it in a river and fried it. I checked the timing on it yesterday its spot on, also checked compression. about 165-175 on all four. Thinking i may have a clogged cat or fuel supply issue. Are there any common issues that would cause this issue? how could i check the knock sensor? thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what gears do you have??

I mean really a little over a 100 horse power what do you expect .

Your comparing it with another truck with specs just like yours

Then just what kind of hill I need to be in second or first to get out my driveway
Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would compare your compression ratios. Weak compression will start slowing your truck down.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I don't like the variance on that compression, ten pound swing is getting very close on the 10% limit. But that's just me being picky somewhat.

It's just not a fair comparison, even given the same running gear and mileages after they have left the factory. 100k put on by Grandma, 100k put on by ____. You get the idea.

There are plenty of things you can do to help mitigate it. Give it a good tune, do all the checks and adjustments, cleaning and lubrication.

Know what you have and drive accordingly. If you want it to peg you to the back of the seat you need to stay near peak torque.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
PS.
head gasket, new cam, new TPS..

What about the chain, doesn't take much stretching to alter the cam timing by a degree.

The VAFM and TPS work in conjunction. The VAFM has two wear points, circuit wear and spring fatigue..
Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what gears do you have??

I mean really a little over a 100 horse power what do you expect .

Your comparing it with another truck with specs just like yours

Then just what kind of hill I need to be in second or first to get out my driveway
i under stand its not going to be a fast truck. i get that, completely. this thing is almost dangerous to drive. it wont break 65-70 on flat ground.

So far ive checked,
Rolling resistance- all good, no locked up breaks
Compression- good
Changed fuel filter- no change
Dropped cat- appeared clear and drove with out, no change
Found knock sensor wire down to a thread- repaired harness- no change
Checked fuel pressure- right around 42 psi at idle
Checked fuel supply- seemed to have plenty

Im thinking of maybe swapping his mass air flow on to mine and seeing if it changes
I cant even haul a load of wood. And forget about pulling a 4x10 trailer with a atv.

Search this Thread