Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Rough Ridin' -- Sound Familiar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 87 Rough Ridin' -- Sound Familiar?

Just bought an '87 runner a few months back. When I got it everything was running decent, it would run a bit rough under slight acceleration and periodically while idling, but would run fine under harder acceleration or higher speeds. Fast forward...I took the beast to Turkey Bay OHV on a trip through Kentucky to do check it out. Whilst being an idiot and such I took 'er through a puddle that happened to be a bit deeper than I had originally thought. She paddled through and steamed up a bit but then started to sputter out and die during idle. Needless to say I drove it around for another few hours after having some guys check it out and getting it started and it consistently got better. No problems the rest of the day wheeling in the OHV or on the 350 mile drive home.

Within the next few weeks it progressively got worse to the point that under full throttle it would rev up but would not go over 45 and would die during IDLE no matter what. The only info the previous owner relayed was that it would idle ˟˟˟˟ty when it was really hot and that this was due to some wires heating up near the block???? idk.. anyways....tried to start her once more and that was it. Very rough, so obv. did my research and there are so many things it could be. I started with plugs and wires--however noob idiot here snapped plug 2 as it was seized (despite trying various methods to lubricate/loosen). So now i am at an impass--i have my noob idea of what the next step is, but I thought I'd let the pros give a crack at it.

I am guessing rather than using an EZ-Out while the plug is still snapped off in the block would cause (More??) ceramic to crumble in the block--i should just take the block off and in the meantime change/check O2, MAF, Vacuum lines, Change Distributer cap, maybe new manifold/gaskets?? As I said, I am very new at all of this, but willing to learn. Thanks for any help, pictures soon to come!