Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner, Driver seat is TOAST... help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
The last video in my post, above, is the most up to date.

As I said, and I hope anyone who really knows me will attest to, .... I'M NOT A QUITTER~! lol. Jk, but really, I just don't have a lot of time, and the simple fact that the Scion Seats are set up SO differently, ....then with having a problem with the passenger seat being too tall.... I'm just not sure, that's all... Not saying it's not gonna happen.

1st; The Passenger seat is NOT so high that it would be a problem for 'MOST' people... but anyone over 6', ... well, yeah, it could be a lil unnerving to be that much closer to the ceiling! hahaha.

2nd; I had it all planned out, as I said, to pull the Scion tC seats off their frames, plant em on the 4Runner frames(driver and passenger are MUCH different in the 1st Gen 4runners, keep in mind)... but unfortunately, the Scion tC seats are "dual stage" sliders... and use 2 different mechanisms regarding sliding forward while sitting in it, and then sliding forward further when pulling up on the lever for people to get out(either lever on the side works this way). Both ways, causing a coil inside the elbow of the seat to rotate and then make contact with ANOTHER lever that is actually securely and specifically placed in the Scion tC frame, below... This makes it a LOT more difficult to just swap out the 'PART WHERE YA SIT' hahaha.

3rd; .......NOTHING! I love them, and I WANT to use them....But when something is too tall, it's just too tall. I'm having a buddy who's 6'2" stop by, he will let me know if it's bearable. I DO NOT have many passengers, compared to many, so it's not that big a deal... Plus, they can SIT IN THE BACK if they are too tall, right? hahahaha.

But seriously, I'm around 6' and my upper body is taller than my legs in proportion to the 'average', I suppose? This is VERY critical in choosing seats, and I HIGHLY recommend that anyone thinking of swapping REALLY think it out before accumulating a bunch of "Movie Time Tush Cushes" for the garage, eh? hahahaha. Again, JKKKK, .... Trial and Error is fine, I get it... But MY TIME? Yeah, it's limited, like many of you.... so I would just reiterate, ..... TAKE YOUR TIME picking out seats, TEST fit them, and keep in mind, for those who will just read this post..................

THE PASSENGER SEAT IN 1ST GEN RUNNERS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT in the frame than the driver seat. Mounting holes are 12.5" apart, front to back, in the Passenger seat... 15.5 in the Drivers. 15.5 in the Passenger seat, under the floor, is LARGELY an area where the Body Mount is.... YEAH, that's what I said! hahaha. Of course, it can easily be moved up with a bracket, etc., .... But again, IF IT'S TOO TALL.... WHATCHAGONNADO? lol.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TruckeeToy
Subscribed - needing to replace the seats in the '84 truck. Thanks for keeping the details and pics coming.
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about in my very last post, Truckee....

The 84 'TRUCK' seats are DEFINITELY different than the 4Runner seat frames... At least on the Passenger side, they are, ya know? In all reality, you could probably get away with MANY more options, because you can use a REALLY cushy/stylie seat from a 4 door! I can't.... it just doesn't roll forward enough to let out the passengers in back.... especially if there's a wreck, etc, ya know?

For the pick up, my buddy Ian did 94 Mustang GT seats, and HE LOVES EM! He's in a 92 xtra Cab, but, the point is... you have more options, ya know?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Civic seats or any small import have the best small seats.
i think mine came from a 93 maxima, and they fit PERFECT. granted i'm going to go back and make new brackets if i ever get the chance (they sit angled in)..

anyways, i ended up having to fab up some stuff for the rails to actually work properly, because most car seats have rails designed to be elevated off the floor, whereas our trucks basically sit on the floor..
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Hey Peow! Sup!!!

Well, .... I mentioned it a couple times, ... Pick ups don't have the same issues as the 4Runners... The 95 Maxima seats are SUWEEEEEET! lol. I would love to use the ones I have... but they don't move enough forward, plain and simple, ya know? I could probably use the passenger seat on the 4runner frames... but they're just not as comfy as the Scion tC seats... which obviously have the benefit of rolling forward a LOT, lol. Oh, and the handles on the sides for the person in back to let themselves out the back.

I hear ya on the Civic Seats... ALMOST grabbed some, but they're just not 'ergonomic' for my build, ya know? 56" chest, Peow, poses problems for me in the upper portion of most seats..... Especially with the racing seats, I could NEVER use most of them. Corbeau Touring seats? SURE, maybe, ...but for how much? lol.

Anyone in LA Proper any good with interior stuff's?(Scoob is close enough, ...but I would HOPEFULLY like to get totally sure on what to do, first, before wasting a day of his 'looking at it' with our chins in our hands! lol.) I'm gonna throw them in the back of the rig and ask Torrance Upholstery what he thinks... But he is VERY busy, all the time, so I'm not sure he'll wanna go too into with me, ya know?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Anyone???? lol. Beullerrrrr? lol.

Found a couple more possibilities, Civic and Impreza 2 Door seats(both 40$ for the pairs of fronts), ...but one is a BIT far(Impreza) and the Civic HBack seats are gray leather and in compton. 92-95 Civic applicable.

I swear, I'ma have an aneurism here! hahahaha.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Had this done and clicked the firefox close tab instead of 'NEW'... FUUUUUUGLESTICKS!

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY>>

tC seat on driver side is in. It was a LOT more work than I thought. 3 of the 4 bolt locations needed new holes. Lots of shaving/heating and bending, cut off of portions of the tC mounting feet/shaving down, etc.

First, I pulled it out of the garage in the nice sunny day to get started(Of course, I ended at 8:00! lol. But that's besides the point! lol. .............

Then, started getting tools/hardware & safety equip. out.....

Picked up this sweet set of bits for 18$ at Lowe's..... (keep in mind, even if they're not the greatest, I was about to spend 8$ on a single one of those very bits. lol)

Then, started drilling out the rear mounting holes after making sure where the fronts would be(The second pic's how I used a punch to mark the drill mark...did the same on the first one, but I'd already drilled that one when I took the pic)........

Then shaved off some of the front mounting feet, including on the inside of the inner mounting foot/all of the taper on the edge and then some beyond that as they were hitting the floor up front...... I'll do some before and after so you can see how they looked........

Before...

In this before you can see the inner/rear seat mounting holes(it has 2, floor and trans hump.... I shaved off that hump mounting portion....you'll see in the after pics)

After.....

Dowels gone and mounting feet edges and tapers cut off and ground........

Inner front...

Outer front...

Then, the inside front mounting hole stayed the same... I used it. But this is the outer one/hole location....

Both fronts installed........

Both rear installed(I carefully cut the carpet and it's under the mounting feet now, carpet back where it was..).........

Seat installed in the truck.......

When Installing these, you have to remove the CAT shield under the rig and drill through a Chassis Ruffle. I did so as cleanly as possible and then bent it out to where I could get a nut and lot washer in there.

Also, when drilling into the front/outside mounting bolt location, be sure you reach in and pull back the wiring harness under there. I almost drilled into it, then stopped and pulled it back(was getting tired, I suppose).

I nicked myself with the grinder on the fingertip(left pointer), right down the middle, when the grinder caught and kicked back very strongly. I think I probably hit the bone and I split the end of the nail(that's how far in it cut, lol).... I know, STUPID! lol.... But from now on, I will NEVER use that thing without the COMPLETE safety wear. I had on REALLY strong rated goggles... just not the gloves, DANGIT! lol.

I have to be honest, .....they're not as comfy as I thought, .... lil tight on the bolsters and thigh to thigh... but not bad. Just a lil firm, too. (I guess until they're in the rig, mounted down, with the people in them, leaning back a bit, it's hard to tell EXACTLY how they're going to 'FEEL'.... ODD<<<< but true, I swear! lol) ....BUT, time will tell. And, at least I have a much better idea of what will work/not work, ya know? The driver one, at least, is NOT too tall... And it goes forward and back a lot. Only a moderate road trip will tell. My left arm is killing me for some reason, above the elbow.... so I guess I'll wait on a longer trip to test them out... and for now, see what they're like on the 'lotta turns' city style driving.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info there ChefYota4x4. Job well done.

Soon as i get the HG issues fixed on my 95 pickup I'm gonna have to do the same thing. My seat is shot. The good thing is my family owns three separate junkyards. There are no good Toyota seats to be found in any of the three but I'm sure i can find something to rig up.

Last edited by Metal Man; 10-17-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the information. It will come in very useful when I upgrade my seats in my '87 runner too.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks, guys! ........... That's largely what it's about for me, honest!

So, ... Zombie..... I have to let you know..... I've heard that many Zombies have issues with these seats because they're, in essence, fabric. They complain of fluid seepage.... etc. I would go leather, were I a Zombie.........but then, I'm not a Zombie, ...you probably know better! hehehe. JK,..... and if anyone would like more detailed info, I'll get to it asap.

One thing I would like to clarify, first off; WHEN you're test fitting these or any seats.... make SURE that you're getting all the feet to sit where they will have to in order to mount. Sitting in it isn't enough... You need to REALLY get it in there and push on each side and see if you have any off balance issues/play/slop, etc. THESE DO, as they sit, up front, different on each side. As you can see, the factory/inside mounting hole was fine... but the outside/front one had to be drilled, higher, otherwise the seat would have been leaning downward/front, toward the door. I can't be SURE, but I think it's actually the tC mounting front feet aren't perfectly level with one another. The outside one is a lil higher, as it probably mounts that way in the tC's. I would check another tC, but don't have any buddies with them.

I need to get the mounting lock nuts shots from underneath.. just haven't had time. To be honest, when I do, I'll POSSIBLY be installing the other tC seat. I say "POSSIBLY" because, to be honest... I don't care if I have to go through 10 sets of seats to get the right ones for MY COMFORT, ...I will! lol. Not saying these wont do.... they seem ok.... But the 'firmness' of them is already bothering me a lil. See, in a tC, you probably sit more reclined, taking the weight off the coccyx/tail/bone, placing some more of said pressure on the lower back. At the same time, it keeps the body from gravity slumping downward til the floating rib is often in contact with the bolsters.

Anyway, I'll be back with more, ...just wanted to say thanks for the props. I usually do more detailed write ups.... but I'm really slim on time lately. Sorry. And again,thanks

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-18-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM

great info! are u willing to share the upholstery guys contact
info in long beach? tks and take care.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Hey Pholife..... Which guy on Long Beach? lol... I know many, and my mind is oatmeal right now with being overwhelmed by life! lol.

Just to update a bit, ... I updated my build thread, regarding the seats, and I will update this one as well. I just thought I'd leave this one alone, as I don't want to 'dis' the tC seats. However, .... I will just share, I did re-install my original SR5 seats after having a great welder repair the broken support brackets, etc., .... I've also installed some 1" Extra Dense Foam that I cut out to fit the entire area of the backrest, .... which keeps the bolsters out of my ribs/scapula! YAY! lol. I then installed covers over the foam under the but and back... I'm pretty darn comfy now... Just have to get a larger head rest cover so I can insert foam between the head rest and my head under the cover, to make up for the back portion being further forward<<<< Make sense?)

The Camry Headrests are FANTASTIC, much better built than the stock ones and they DO NOT fall apart... Best part, they DROP RIGHT IN! Who doesn't like hearing that, right? lol. Just a thought for those battling with disinegrating head rest foam! (Tired of orange dust on your back and hair????> GET 86-91 CAMRY HEADRESTS!!!!) hahahaha.

I'll get pics of the covered/modified SR5 Seats over here, as well as my build thread in my sig.

PS> Just a heads up, ..... As I said, the tC seats are FANTASTICALLY built! They just don't agree with the ergonomics of my physical build, ya know? I still would recommend them as a fairly easy swap in(at least the driver side... The passenger side would be a bit more work, as the bolt holes are directly over the body mounts on the outside/rear, ya know?)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just realized you had a thread on seats. Dude if i knew you back then when you had done this i would have helped you out. I know i didnt go into detail on how to upgrade seats from another car/truck on my build thread. But i did mine. It was a very successful job. I installed some 1994 SR5 4runner seats into my truck. And best thing of all they matched the carpet job i did exact. For the driver side; all the screws fit except one so i had to drill a new hole in the front part of the chair. and on the passenger side, i had to drill 2 new holes on the truck itself to fit the chair.
All in all, I love them. they came out great. They feel nice and cushiony and are slightly higher then the stock chairs so i get a better view of the road when i drive. Whenever we hit up a trail together i'll show you the job i did.

BTW... Did you end up installing the passenger side seat after all? i noticed in the last picture that you had 2 different seats, or atleast it looked that way.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 PM

Hey Buddy,

Yeah, actually, I've mentioned 2nd Gen 4Runner seats on this and my build thread. I step bit drilled out the hole(the one that ALMOST fits, lol), and I installed the driver side donor I picked up at Pick-Your-Part(in great condition).... They are just not comfortable to me, compared to the 1st Gen seats. Sure, the 95 Seat I found had padding that was in better shape, no doubt.... but the bolsters are more narrow, and they run higher up into the shoulders. In both ways, that begins to dig into my lats, just below the arm pit(I have really wide shoulders) and the bolsters, themselves, dig into my floating rib. One day and I was in worse pain than I ever was in my 1st Gen seats. I ALSO said, many times, "DO NOT hesitate in getting them if you are not a bigger guy, like myself". They're just not ergonomically optimal for me, ya know?(I'm not just a 'big' guy, ...I honestly do have a pretty wide chest/rib cage and shoulders...so MOST seats, especially newer ones, just don't work for me). These 1st gen seats, I've read many times, are the most comfortable seats they put out, especially mentioning, in most cases, that "the bolsters spread wider and stop right where the lats are".

I appreciate you mentioning it, Richard... AND the offer to help me out. I REALLY liked the Scion tC seats... even riding in them... FOR A TIME... And very quickly, they started digging into my ribs. Not to mention, those, like many newer seats, are solid bottom or LARGE springs.... with very firm padding. That feels great when I first sat in them....but on 500+ mile trips? Yeah, weren't gonna work for me, either.

Just got back from 750+ miles in them, round trip, visiting Pops in AZ.... Other than my already spasm riddled middle back, due to disc injuries/fractured vertebrae, etc., from that bad accident and more.... I got home and felt just fine I added padding in the back and put a coccyx pillow under the seat cover..... it's like riding on a cloud, comparative to most other seats without it... and/or just seats in general(like that CRV I drive.... HOLY RUMP ACHE! lol. They're just too firm for me.... OH, and once again, those Bolsters dig into my floating ribs like a son of a bugger, too! lol.)
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM

That's how my 2000 Toyota Corolla seats are. Way too in comfortable. I find myself constantly moving up and fixing my pants lol I honestly feel like the seats I have in my 4runner are probably the most comfortable,for me, seats I've ever had on a car/truck.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
That's how my 2000 Toyota Corolla seats are. Way too in comfortable. I find myself constantly moving up and fixing my pants lol I honestly feel like the seats I have in my 4runner are probably the most comfortable,for me, seats I've ever had on a car/truck.
Yep, I hear ya! That's why I try not to dog anything that I'm not POSITIVE is going to cause a problem for my Yotatech-Brethren! lol. The tC seats are INSANELY nice! I mean, seriously VERY well made, too. Plus, they had the release handles on the sides of them.... would have been perfect.... IF THEY DIDN'T DIG INTO MY RIBS! grrrr! HAHAHA. Anyway, glad you found those particular seats comfy... They ARE nice... just too high on the bolsters for me. I still have a 95 4Runner seat in the back yard under a tarp... if you ever need a part off it, lemme know, k?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Sounds good man. Are your seats the same color as the seats i have in mine now?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM

The spare 2nd Gen 4Runner SR5 Seat I have in the backyard? It's Gray.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM

ah. its probably te same as mine then. I was just asking because the left side of my driver seat is ripped from so much getting in and out of the truck.
I mean i bought it like that but it was still way more confortable then the seats i origionally had in there.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM

I hear ya.... And listen, if you want to try out the tC seats when you come by.... don't be shy to ask to see em! lol. I'm PROBABLY selling them.

BTW, part of the 'seat portion is too firm for me' is due to having broken my tailbone/coccyx fairly badly. Fracture, actually. After 300 miles or so, ....EVEN IN MARSHMALLOWS, hahaha... my tailbone injury STILL ends up hurting to where I have to start shifting around. Using the stock seats, being lower, it's allowed me to add a coccyx pillow and that leaves my tailbone from touching the seat, pretty much.(it's the type like a wedge pillow with the back most portion cut out like a horseshoe. And actually?>>> I've got those for around 10 of my buddies who drive, .... THEY LOVE THEM, swear by them and have never had any tailbone injury or otherwise. They also help with lower back pain, etc.

Anywhooooooooo, .... I just want someone cool to wind up with em, hahaha. AND, I would help any Yotatechie install them/or at least show them how I did it(I still have all the bolt holes I did, just filled em).. And they DO sit a lil taller. How tall are you, Richard? I'm close to 6'.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 AM

Ok try them out whenever I go. And Damn! You're freekin' tall! I'm 5'8. Lol

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner, Driver seat is TOAST... help...