Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner Cruise Control.... :roll:

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
87 4Runner Cruise Control.... :roll:

I KNOW, I know... "the diaphragm" and sometimes "clutch pedal sensor", etc. but in mine, you will see in the video that the "VACUUM DIAPHRAGM" in the actual unit is screwed up. IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE TORN... But again, as you will see in the video, the diaphragm is, well, 'tweaked', like it's been bent in a weird position for a LONG time and it's stuck that way. The rubber seems to be IN VERY good/soft condition with NO cracking, etc. I'm not sure if there are tears, but I can fix those if so.... My question is;

CAN I FIX THIS 'KINKED' PORTION in any way? If not, how can I get this solved(And, if not, is there a swap on this to a later year cruise that is NOT ridiculously evasive?) >>>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbLs...2&feature=plcp
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try to find one at a junkyard or eBay. I have an 86 4runner sr5 and the cruise works but its not perfect. I wouldn't get crazy on a retro fit but I would try to find the whole diaphragm unit.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CHEEZE
I would try to find one at a junkyard or eBay. I have an 86 4runner sr5 and the cruise works but its not perfect. I wouldn't get crazy on a retro fit but I would try to find the whole diaphragm unit.
Thanks, CHEEZE....

Yeah, I hit the yards quite often, but there is a group here in the L.A. area that have a deal with the Pick-Your-Parts for ANY 1st Gen 4Runners or 2nd Gen PU's(seemingly only 4WD) where they buy them all up before they hit the lot and ship them to Egypt(yeah, figure that one out... Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know they're shipping them over for parts for their 'rebel' trucks)... Those that DO make it into the yards are IMMEDIATELY stripped of their 3rd Members, Injectors and so forth(you know, the most commonly needed/wanted parts) by yet another group of 'gophers' that then sell them to the surrounding yards in L.A. County. The Diaphragm is something they might not likely take, but the chance that one of those will actually make it to the yard? SLIM!

I do see TONS of 2nd Gen 4runners and Pu's, even some 4WD, very rarely.... BUT, .... as you know, that Cruise Control system is different. hahaha.

I will keep fishing Ebay and CList for a parting out runner/pu... Hopefully I'll find one. Maybe at the actual dismantling yards, we'll see, I have a call in to my trusted ones that ACTUALLY LOOK for things for ya, lol. "Japanese Truck Dismantlers" and a couple others.

Did you repair yours, CHEEZE? Did you see, in the video, how tweaked it is? lol. STRANGE, .... seems as though the guy(PO) popped that open at one point, then didn't bother to seat the rim-seal of the diaphragm when reinstalling it
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM

PS> Is that part called the 'Actuator'? Or is the actuator in the kick panel/driver side(the lil module thing)? According to dealerdirectparts.... this is the price for that, whatever it is, lol.... 488$~! lol..... That's 30% off from Dealer price! lol.>>>>

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/198...nner-sr5-2.htm
Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call Ferman Mini Truck in Santa Ana. It's about 40 miles away from you. I made the 190 mile round trip up there a few weeks ago to get some parts for my first gen 4runner. They had twi at the time, one of which being turbo. I know the turbo one had cruise control, not sure about the other. Hope this helps!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Chef, PM me your address, I'll have to check, but pretty sure I got one hidden away in my shop. For the price of shipping, its yours (if I still have it, of course). Off of an 87 SR5 4Runner. Worked when it was pulled.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Tried spraying a ton of silicone spray on it to loosen up (soften) the diaphragm? We used to use the spray for airline work and restoration stuff all the time. Spray it and let it sit soaked for a half day or so then roll it down into position and put a big vegetable rubber band around the thing and let it sit for a few more days. As it dries up it should hopefully hold to the proper shape. If you decide to heat it up a little bit, wait until it's soaked as much silicone spray in as possible or you'll dry the rubber out further and it'll actually then crack on you. Let me know if it worked for you.

Last edited by KelleyC; 06-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Call Ferman Mini Truck in Santa Ana. It's about 40 miles away from you. I made the 190 mile round trip up there a few weeks ago to get some parts for my first gen 4runner. They had twi at the time, one of which being turbo. I know the turbo one had cruise control, not sure about the other. Hope this helps!
THANKS, Stryker! Very much appreciate the lead! I will keep it in mind, no doubt!

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Chef, PM me your address, I'll have to check, but pretty sure I got one hidden away in my shop. For the price of shipping, its yours (if I still have it, of course). Off of an 87 SR5 4Runner. Worked when it was pulled.
DUDE, PM is on the way, post haste! lol. Very stoked for ya on the 3.4 btw..... SICK! I have REALLY wanted to slap it in cruise, many times, but NOW I know why it's not been working, in spite of the light coming on, etc., yeah? ^^^^^ hhahaha. See what I mean by "the STRANGEST crap happens to me!" ???? Lol. I would be VERY grateful, Jason, ....THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by KelleyC
Tried spraying a ton of silicone spray on it to loosen up (soften) the diaphragm? We used to use the spray for airline work and restoration stuff all the time. Spray it and let it sit soaked for a half day or so then roll it down into position and put a big vegetable rubber band around the thing and let it sit for a few more days. As it dries up it should hopefully hold to the proper shape. If you decide to heat it up a little bit, wait until it's soaked as much silicone spray in as possible or you'll dry the rubber out further and it'll actually then crack on you. Let me know if it worked for you.
That's a great idea, actually.. Silicone might actually allow it to be manipulated/force it into pliancy, right? Thanks for the instructions... I will give it a try as a spare(if I can get that from Kiyo) or maybe, if it can't be found by him, I'll have to find one or make at least an attempt at this trick. The rubber on mine is like, well, BRAND NEW condition. It literally feels like it's NEVER ONCE touched air..... That's what kinda throws me. I mean, why is it still ok if it was not actually sealed like that? Anyway, thanks, Sir, I will definitely keep this in mind, too.

I will find Rogers(4crawler) thing on this, post it up... Hopefully this will help a few guys out there, when said and done.

THANKS, GUYS!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 AM

I've definitely got one on my parts runner if you still need it. Same offer applies, pay shipping from BC and it's yours.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mental
I've definitely got one on my parts runner if you still need it. Same offer applies, pay shipping from BC and it's yours.
Wow, you guys ROCK! lol. I will letcha know, Mental... Thanks much. Hopefully KIYO, above, will find his and slap it in the mail...... Until then, I will remember this in case

I wonder how many are tweaked like mine in there. I know they tear, but that's usually from pulling against where the lip-seal sits, or by the actual cable eyelet on the outside. Pretty simple design... makes sense now.. But I wish I could slap in an electric one that did the same thing and plugged right into my system! lol. I KNOW, DREAM ON, right? lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great vid Mark - you have the worst luck on your truck - I'm sorry!

My CC works until a point, and then cuts out....usually when I start going up any kind of grade. Seems abnormal so I'm curious to see if you're able to solve this so I can repair mine.

Good luck!!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Mental.... Could you let me know if you do have a working one? Kiyo tried to find his, but it's not to be found... (Thanks, Jason, I appreciate it, man! Lemme know if you need something, I might have one/I grab random stuff at Pick-Your-Part off every toyota I see! lol Coils/Ignitors from 3.0's, relay's, etc., etc., lol)

I would really be grateful, Mental... I'm just not sure what shipping would be from BC to 90274? Could ya lemme know?( If you have one, of course )
Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Great vid Mark - you have the worst luck on your truck - I'm sorry!

My CC works until a point, and then cuts out....usually when I start going up any kind of grade. Seems abnormal so I'm curious to see if you're able to solve this so I can repair mine.

Good luck!!
PHILBERT! Sup, buddy? I know, eh?(the bad luck thing< lol)...

I'll do my best to fix it, however, you know that, right? I've heard the 'cuts out' thing for DAYZ! That has lots to do with it's ability to maintain vacuum it needs on those hills. I think Roger(4crawler) was the first to tell me of that. I sure hope I have ENOUGH vacuum to operate it, even if I DO get one that works? hahahaa.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you still need one, I've got two in the garage. One off my 87, and one in my 88 parts rig. Same deal as above, for you Mark. I'll never use them.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 AM

PM's Sent! lol...

WOW, I'm REALLY grateful, guys! I'm really trying to get my ole Ruby back in Factory Condition, some day(as much as that's possible, lol)... and adding a bunch of cool things, too... But it's the 'comfort' things that I really can use, ya know? (Like I need to do something about the rear end suspension being a lil too stiff/Probably should have went with the 14"x100# coils rather than 125#x12"... But I'm sure the Rancho 5000's aren't helping! lol.)

I've been through some physical trauma from hell, lol... But grateful I've healed as much as I have... Just nice to not have assistance, believe it or not, like Cruise Control(to be able to move legs around more often, etc.).... I'm sure many of those who know me have seen my wreck pics, etc... that's about half of it! lol.... And that was 32 Broken Bones, Fractured Skull, Spinal Trauma, etc... I'm VERY grateful, as I said, to be able to 'ACT', for the most part, like nothing of the sort had ever happened Sorry, seems unrelated, but trust me, IT HELPS! I LOVE using it on the CRV I borrow..... I click that cruise on every chance I get, lol.(Course, those seats, ironically, SUCK, compared to my 87's, which is what, nearly 20 years older? hahaha.

Thanks again, guys, I hate to repeat myself so much... but I'M VERY THANKFUL!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 PM

FWIW A good trick to keeping the CC active on a decent grade is a 1 way vacuum valve plumbed into the line. *Also, ChiefYota, it's Ma'Am, not sir..common mistake b/c I use a screen name w/ an extra "e" to keep people from horn-doggin on me.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by KelleyC
FWIW A good trick to keeping the CC active on a decent grade is a 1 way vacuum valve plumbed into the line. *Also, ChiefYota, it's Ma'Am, not sir..common mistake b/c I use a screen name w/ an extra "e" to keep people from horn-doggin on me.
Ahhhh, good idea! OH, and yeah, I didn't think about it, ma'am... lol... Sorry bout that. BTW, it's CHEFyota, but that's ok... Unlike Dane Cook, I don't mind being called chief, it happens all the time! lol

Again, really good idea... Have you done this? I know the Brake System uses a stop/1-way valve... For different reasons, I suppose, but still, this might help in maintaining a certain vacuum when the hill load hits?

PS> Where may I get these valves? Any autoparts store?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 AM

OK;

Looks like I should have an actuator in the mail, maybe tomorrow. Not sure when I'll see it, but looks like it MIGHT even get here before my trip(WHAT A RELIEF that would be )

ADAM, .... you rock, sir! Actually, you all do, especially grateful that people offer to help me out like that with offering ones they have/aren't using. Don't have to do that and I appreciate it.

Hopefully, seeing that this one seemingly passed the FSM tests.... I might be in biz... Just hope and pray nothing is wrong with the big Cruise Control Box in the driver side kick panel ...... whatever that is! lol. Like a mini computer, right?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM

"got my cruise on!"

SOLVED; "GOT CRUISE CONTROL?"

Hahaha...

Firstly, THANKS TO MALTESE4RUNNER!!!!!!! He found 2 he had, one tested fine, got it in the flat rate box the next morning, USPS dropped it off this morning!!!! WOOT! hahaha.

Funny thing; When I opened the box, Adam? It seemed to look a lil different(You know, when you're so anxious to see if something is right/will work, etc. ,right? haha)... It was the area that the cable nuts tie to the actual actuator... On my 87, it's a "U" type support, as you can see in the videos.. In the one Adam sent, ...it was just an "L" shape. I figured, "Meh, can't be an issue, same distance I bet"... THEN, ... I looked at the plug....... <<<< I thought, lol. It was 3 prongs in a triangular type connector.... I COULD HAVE SWORN my 87's was a 2 prong(More like the 'LOOK' of one that plugs into the back of a portable stereo, ya know? ) .... For 10 minutes, I'm thinking, "GOTTA be a way to make it work, right? Hmmmmm" then finally went out there... IT'S THE SAME PLUG! hahahaha. OK, then I'm thinking.... "Knowing my ratio of 'it worked out great' to 'oh crap!' .. it'll probably be my cruise control module in the kick panel, etc., etc."... You know, being negative due to my past track record! hahaha.... But man, I think I set a record for getting that thing installed! 30 seconds? hahahaha. Drove up the block, put on Cruise control.... Held the actuating button on the wiper lever for a couple seconds.... let go.... AND IT STARTED TO DECELERATE! HAHAHA.... But 1.5 seconds or so later, 'VROOOOOOOOOM', got back to the speed I'd set!!!! And, ADAM, I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW STOKED I WAS, MAN! THANK YOU, SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ Heck, in fact, hahahaha.

Just thought i'd share that, cuz it was SO FUNNY, minutes later, looking back on how I reacted from the time it got here! hehehe. I AM SO looking forward to setting the cruise at 65mph on the 40HWY and relaxing my legs while listening to the new MP3 book I've been DYING to get into! (Wont hurt that I've also refreshed my entire AC system and charged it up with some 'R12', new seals, drier, etc.... ME NEEDS AC FOR AZ! lol)

ONE MORE TIME; THANK YOU, ADAM, YOU'RE A VERY SOLID DUDE! And equally as much; THANKS TO ALL THAT OFFERED! That really made me feel good, especially right now... Things haven't been, well, 'GREAT'? haha.

One more thing to check off the list in the "restoration" story!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Maltese........... WOOT! hahaha.....>>>>

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner Cruise Control.... :roll: