Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4-Runner gets a 22RE to 3.4 swap - auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done some swaps, none into this chassis before, I did one straight across 3.0-3.4 swap on my 89, did a solid axle 85 4-runner, did a solid axle 84 runner and this being an IFS rig will be easier to swap, the frame is a lot easier to work with. We can do yours after I finish this and the 28 other cars I have at the house
Old 11-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
hehehe, busy guy
Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ship me the gay bumper c.o.d.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Looks good. I've got an 88 also, but with the 3L V6. Did you get the trans with the motor?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 PM

I re read the posts and you did keep the tranny from the 3.4L, sorry.
What kind of rims are those on the 87? I ask because I have a shot at some 03 Tacoma SR5 rims to put on my 88 4Runner, 3LV6. They are 16x8 w/5" of backspacing. I'm thinking the 5" of BS is too much unless I get spacers. Do you recommend spacers for this?
Thanks
Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM

I think the backspacing on the rims on the runner are 5 inches, they came off a 98 tacoma that showed up at a local wrecking yard, the backspacing sucks badly, these actually rub the frame pretty hard, they are 15x8 with 33/13.50/15 tires, I am dropping to a 15x8 with different backspacing with 32/12.50/15 cooper stts as soon as this thing is back on the road, the 33's are too much hassle, even with 2 inch body lift, much cutting and tubbing they still rub everything, the backspacing and tire width make a ton of difference. I can check the backspacing when I take the tires off to replace the torsion bars.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM

Okay, I checked tonight while the rims were off, the rims on the runner are off a 98 tacoma, they are 4 inch backspacing and I hate them. They are 15x8, with 33/13.50/15 tires, if the tires were a decent width then they would probably work ok, I wouldnt go 5 inch backspacing after seeing how badly these rub, unless you are running some super skinny tires. I have 33/12.50/15 cooper stt's on 3.5 inch backspaced 15x8 rims on my 89 pickup, they work a hell of a lot better than the 4 inch backspacing. The rims and tires on the runner wont bolt onto the truck and be driveable, you can even steer it half way with those on there, tacoma rims are just asking for trouble, just my 02 cents from my experience.

And to update the thread with some actual tech, the t-100 transfer case is out of the question, it wont bolt onto anything but a t-100 tranny due to output shafts being different, so I went ahead and used the adapter and the gear driven case as originally planned, pics will be updated tonight.......ITS IN THE HOLE!!!! engine and trans and t/case are all in, now to tack the mounts in place and remove everything again and clean and paint everything.....YAY!!

Last edited by slater442w30; 11-25-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Its in the hole......The engine that is, I got it in last night, got some pics today. I used the air chisel to cut off the old mounts, worked better than anything else I have ever used, then used the grinder to prep the frame for the new mounts

Here are the stock 3.0 frame mounts after cutting the old frame chunks off of them, a lot of work but worth every second in the end, they fit awesome.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM

Here is the exhaust, fits pretty nice, not bad for a guess, the red paint is all spots that I am going to "massage" a little for more clearance just to be sure, nothing is actaully touching, but I am a little crazy about small things, its what I do :p

Also, one more thing, the 4 cylinder anti sway bar is shaped different than the v6 sway bar, it hits the tranny pan, I can either lower this one with some brackets or get a v6 one, probably just going to get the right one from the junkyard.

Also found out that you cant use the T-100 transfer case with anything but a T-100 trans, so I used the gear driven case with the Inchworm adapter (yes I know advanced adapters makes them for inchworm, but Jim kicks ass, super nice helpful guy, I would rather give him my money, he deserves it) and I am going to get the skys transfer case disk brake for the back of this case, I used the stock crossmember and had to cut a slit in it, I can use two of the stock mounting holes in the next spot forward on the mount (if that makes any sense) and will have to figure out where the two others will bolt up unless I make a new crossmember.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Got the V6 Torsion bars mounted in, and while they were out I took off the upper control arms off I welded the motor mounts in completely, I also ground part of the rh front inner control arm to clear the ac compressor better.

I also removed the brake line T that hooks the rear brakes to the front and replaced it with a 90 degree fitting off the 97 Runner since I am removing the rear balance valve when I go disk brakes.

Dirty

Clean

Just have to scuff the whole engine bay down with scotchbrite and undercoat and paint everything.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Looky here what the Ups man dropped off.....Pretty, Its Orange candy powdercoat, looks awesome in the sun.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah orange, looks great!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:48 AM

been real busy with that whole life and finding money thing, but here are a few updates, I stripped the engine bay and undercoated and painted the whole thing along with the frame, much better now

Here is the 89-95 toyota pickup v6 radiator

The 2 inch body lift brackets put the radiator down lower than I wanted it ot sit, so here is where I made new holes about a half an inch above the stock holes, fits very nice.

plenty of room up front with the V6, that is the 97 runner fan and clutch, it wont fit the 89 V6 radiator shroud, not sure how I am gonna work that out quite yet.

here is the stock 3.0 lower hose with the thermostat housing off the 3.0 all mounted in the truck, no special hoses needed here at all.

The upper hose to use is the stock 97 4-runner upper hose, or any tacoma with the 3.4 upper hose.
The power steering hoses are all off any 89-95 toyota v6 truck or 4-runner with the 3.0 and non proportional power steering (or whatever the hell the 4 runners have back in the day) and the pump needs the banjo bolt off the 3.0 ps pump to mount the hoses, no special power steering hoses are needed at all for this swap.

Last edited by slater442w30; 01-16-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM

now for fuel lines, I tried to use a stock V6 4-runner bracket to mount the filter next to the torsion bar like stock toyota pickups have but it wouldnt fit, all 4 cylinder toyotas have the filter on the block, so you have to add a filter in the system, I work on cars for a living, and trust me, the car makers must laugh their asses off when they are thinking of where to mount the filter, "oh yeah watch them try to get that off" bastards.....so I put my filter in a very serviceable spot, on the firewall. I used a stock 3.0 fuel line to fuel rail fuel hose, I just cut the end by the rail off, re-flared it, and bolted it to the frame fitting, then used half a stock v6 truck filter bracket and mounted it on the firewall, I used some rubber padding behind it so it wont vibrate in the cab from the pump running, the other side is the stock 97 Runner fuel hose with a junction I built hooking it up to the filter. In the cab you cant feel the pump running, no leaks, ready to rock and roll.

And for heater hoses, no special hoses have been used on all 4 swaps I have done, I dont know what toyota these are off of, They are either 4-runner or taco or t-100 with the 3.4, I tried to get the numbers off the hoses, toyota said the numbers on the hoses arent part numbers and cant help me, sorry guys, one fits very nice, the other needed some help, but its okay, I wanted to add a flush tee into the line anyways, I flush my vehicles several times a year with the machine at the shop, helps keep the acidity level down and makes a good spot to bleed the air out of the system.

Also got the V6 antisway bar in the truck, the 4 cylinder bar is very different, had to make two more holes in the frame, used the front two stock holes to bolt the back of the new brackets to, and made new holes in the front to match up, other than that, pretty straight forward, you can see the difference in the pics.

it looks close to the driveshaft in the pics, but its just the camera angle, it looks just like my 89 pickup with factory V6, and with ifs the driveshaft doesnt move up and down so tolerances can be much tighter.

Last edited by slater442w30; 12-30-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Got most of the wiring done, the 97 harness was no big deal, did that in my bedroom in about 2-3 hours, the 87 harness is built by the devil :evil: If toyota had kept their trucks like this they would not have made it this far. I have four, yes count them 4 wiring diagrams for the 87 and none of them are right, even the factory service manual is wrong and half the wires toyota even lists as one color or possibly another with no rhyme or reason for it, and some wires will change colors three times in three feet and the service manual only lists one of the colors that it could be, and half the computer wiring goes through the passenger fender, the other half goes through the drivers side to the engine. I had to chase all the 87 wires down by hand all through the dash to figure out what colors were what since toyota wiring sucked ass in 87. Another problem is the 87 will have 3-5 wires in the truck all the same color that all run totally different things, something my 89 truck did not have, it makes the wiring really hard on this rig. I went through and pulled every wire that this runner will not need from the harness for a cleaner look and to make it easier to repair in the future.

I used the 97 4-runner cruise control since the 87 didnt come with cruise, I mounted it on the pass fenderwell and mounted the cruise ecm in the center of the dash, the wiring on that is pretty easy, not sure if I am gonna use the 97 cruise switch or get a mid 90's yota steering wheel with cruise buttons on it.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM

also figured out where I want to mount the evap canister which will set codes if it is not in the system and it must match the engine since the sensors are looking for a certain amount of flow and pressure in the system.

Also it is almost looking like a real vehicle, it runs great, I fired it up two weeks ago using three wires to a battery, steering pump works good, cooling system is tight and dry, fuel system works good.