86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Pickup wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup wheel fitment

Was hoping to find a sticky because I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but...

I need bigger wheels, not because I'm going offroading, but simply because stock-sized tires are too hard to find. 15x7 seems to be the way to go, but I don't want to get new ones. I have an 86 2WD and three questions:

- how much backspacing can I have on an otherwise bone stock setup?
- anything wrong with car rims other than looking funny? Am I correct in assuming they're weaker than ones made for trucks?
- what are some common 15x7-8 OEM, or cheap yet decent aftermarket wheels? I see 90's Heep and various GM and whathaveyou rims selling all day for pretty cheap; any of them known to be compatible (or not)?

Thanks

By the way, what do yall call these trucks casually? I don't see their official name "Pickup" used much, but plain old "truck" doesn't seem descriptive enough. Hilux, even though that wasn't used in the US?

Last edited by moroza; 10-28-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by moroza
Was hoping to find a sticky because I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but...

I need bigger wheels, not because I'm going offroading, but simply because stock-sized tires are too hard to find. 15x7 seems to be the way to go, but I don't want to get new ones. I have an 86 2WD and three questions:

- how much backspacing can I have on an otherwise bone stock setup?
- anything wrong with car rims other than looking funny? Am I correct in assuming they're weaker than ones made for trucks?
- what are some common 15x7-8 OEM, or cheap yet decent aftermarket wheels? I see 90's Heep and various GM and whathaveyou rims selling all day for pretty cheap; any of them known to be compatible (or not)?

Thanks

By the way, what do yall call these trucks casually? I don't see their official name "Pickup" used much, but plain old "truck" doesn't seem descriptive enough. Hilux, even though that wasn't used in the US?
yes indeed, a very much talked about subject

I myself am in the market for some new tires; not new wheels anymore because I just scored some procomps off craigslist wrapped in some ATs, but they don't have too many more miles left on them.

now I'm not sure what the stock rim size is, but if I'm not mistaken, the backspacing on stock rims is right around 3.5 or 3.75, but don't quote me on that...

now judging by how far my tires stick out, my old rims (not the stock wheels) and my new procomp wheels are the same backspacing, which I believe is 4, but again, I'm not 100% sure.

15x8 is probably going to be the most common size you find, and you can run 29's (pretty much stock size) and 31's on them with absolutly no issues. stepping up to 33's may bring issues not only with rubbing, but gearing, but that's another story.

I think the issue you might find with car rims are going to be that backspacing. not only that, but good luck finding any car with a 6 lug pattern the size of a Toyota's. even if you did, you have to consider the size of the center hole; needs to be bing enough to clear the hubs and protruding portion of the axle flange on the rear drums.

you can find some pretty low priced steel wheels on the net, or even check places like eBay and craigslist; you might be able to find a deal like I did where someone use to own a Toyota, but the put the stock wheels and tires back on it before they sold it and had a good set of wheels left afterwards that you then know for a fact will fit on you truck.

easiest thing to do to find a wheel that'll fit a stock setup, is check out places like tirerack.com and other sites that'll give you a selection of wheels and tires that will fit your truck; then you can just look at the specs on the wheel, and then you know what to look for

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM

He has a 2wd not 4wd man he can definetly not fit 31's. I am not sure the biggest size on a 2wd but I am sure someone will chime in.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by eightnine
He has a 2wd not 4wd man he can definetly not fit 31's. I am not sure the biggest size on a 2wd but I am sure someone will chime in.
oh, I over-read that, lol, thanx

yeah, 31's might be pushing it unless you crank the t-bars and maybe shackle the rear, but IDK, never owned a 2wd Toy...

and in that case, aren't the 2wd 5 lug as well? that would open up a whole different box of options... I should have just kept my mouth shut, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-28-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oh, I over-read that, lol, thanx

yeah, 31's might be pushing it unless you crank the t-bars and maybe shackle the rear, but IDK, never owned a 2wd Toy...

and in that case, aren't the 2wd 5 lug as well? that would open up a whole different box of options... I should have just kept my mouth shut, lol
lol yeah dude they are 5 lug thats why he was comparing it to jeep and gm bolt patterns. I think the biggest tire you can 215-75-15, could be wrong though.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rim wise, I'd do 15x7 with 3.75" backspacing, the backspacing will push the wheels a little further out over stock. 4" backspacing will give you a little more clearance to avoid rubbing.
225/75R15 (slightly larger than 28") will fit with decent chance of rubbing depending on suspension condition (fatigued bars, bad shocks, etc.)
235/75R15 (slightly smaller than 29") will fit but will rub under almost any compression with wheels turned

Keystone has some decent steelies, as does cragar.

my wife's truck is 235/75R15 yokohama geolanders on keystone 15x7x3.75 rims
keep in mind it has about 3" susp lift so you can tell it would rub without the lift.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Yep, I definitely have a 5x4.5" boltpattern, and stock 3.75" backspacing. Sounds like I can go up to 4" without rubbing?

The main question is - is there anything more to a rim than overall dimensions, boltpattern, and backspacing? Center opening diameter? Strength (hence the question about car rims)?

I've been eyeing stuff like this. Could anyone tell me if they'll work?

Last edited by moroza; 10-30-2008 at 03:19 PM.