Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 pickup engine issue 22r

Old 06-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 pickup engine issue 22r

I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find someone who's had the same problem or a fix to it. History is I picked it up about 3 weeks ago for a grand. 310xxx. Body was beat, frame was solid and engine ran. Good bush truck in my opinion. Anyway the next day I took it up in the bush. Ran great the whole time till I hit a few small puddles. Then the rpm proceeded to drop and it bucked like a mule when I tried to pull up the hill and back onto the Forrest service road. It died 3 times trying to get up the 50 metre long hill and was fine after that the whole way down (about 10k) but as soon as I hit the highway and tried to gain speed it would start bucking like mad again and slowly drop rpms and I'd have to downshift to like 40 and be light on the gas. Ran like crap the whole night. Next day go to start it and ran fine for two weeks. Just first initial start takes a few pumps of the pedal and a 10 second ish turn of the key. After that it'll start instant all day. I'd have to be fairly easy on the gas if I went to romp it I could feel the bucking coming. So not being my daily driver I decided I probably sucked in some dirt and water with the horribly designed stock air intake. I thought maybe the diaphragm for the second barrel was blown. Bought a carb. Rebuild kit and got to her. It wasn't horrible but found a quarter tsp of sand in the float bowl. Cleaned the whole thing out. Found a blown seal on the slow jet. Found a piece of something clogging the jet from the accelerator pump cleaned it all out and put it back together reinstalled it and idled about the same as before roughly 1000-1250rpm I waited for it to warm up (about ten min as the guage is broken or sensor is gone so I don't know the actual temp) eased it down the road and the idle would drop and it would die as soon as the choke would disengage. Next day I go to start it. Idles at 1000 and drives around the street. I'm wondering if the throttle body is dirty, There's crap in the carb again, fuel lines have crap in them or filter/pump. Any help would be much appreciated!! As I have been banging my head on this one. Also as I side note when cleaning the carb I didn't want to break the plastic piece to get at the 2 main jet. First was clear and I blasted everything with carb cleaner. And I did not remove the airmix screw I didn't want to break that plastic cover out.and I didnt get into or replace anything with the choke assembly
Old 06-13-2015, 12:35 PM

Update:
Idles at 1000 when shifting or accelerating I have to ever so lightly start then after that I can accelerate to whatever degree I want with no bogging. On corners when shifting if I shift before and accelerate through its fine. But if I start the corner downshift and try to accelerate it boggs. And finally slowing down when I apply the brakes the rpm drops to 750 if I brake hard ( a little above average for the regular driver) it drops completely and the engine dies
Old 06-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What was the story had this vehicle sat before you bought it ??

Bad gas clogged fuel filter?? The bouncing around could have knocked the rust loose clogging the filter.

Mud in the Air Filter ??From the factory these air intakes were not that bad.

Water in The Distributor wet spark plug wires

It never hurts to give new vehicles a good tune up.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM

It was the guys daily driver. He tried to sell me on it so hard I figured for a grand whatever motor goes I'll swap. But it seems decent just a ittle mistreated. 1 owner. Today I'm thinking I'll blow out the fuel lines and change the filter. I'm thinking maybe remove the carb again. I only put 10k on it and see if there's sand again. The original owner had replaced the factory carb with another factory. Seems like he just got one from a scrap yard over rebuilding the original (I have both)
Old 06-13-2015, 02:09 PM

The air intake isn't bad. But more poorly designed. Right behind the grill it could easily suck in some water I'd think. And the air filter is horrible as well. Can't see a spec of light through it. But I also have the filter cover off so it should breathe fine I will be getting a new filter there aswell
Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Need help with a 22r power loss.

Ok I'm new to the forum world. So what I have is a 1992 Toyota 4x4 with a 22r
The truck seems like it loses power(giddy up) when pressing the gas pedal down to floor. I can let up a little and the truck speeds up.. I know my break booster is bad cause it's hard pedal and is like stopping a log truck.. Everything I have read about break boosters only effects the idle . Nothing was said about the power. I'm hoping it's maybe a vaccume issue.. Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM

check your float and make sure the fuel level is right. That helped mine a little im still having trouble with whenever i stomp the gas it bogs down and dies.