Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4Runner won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Runner won't start!

Hey guys I am new and have had the truck for a year now as my winter savior. Now that I want to drive it it won't start. I bought a new battery for it because during the summer it would only start with a jump or when my buddy put his redtop battery into it.

I got a Duralast from Autozone last sunday and put it in. The lights work and the horn works, but nothing else will. When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens, no ticking or any noises at all, the gas gauge doesn't move either nor does the radio turn on.

My father and I checked the fuses and replaced on of the 15 size fuses. When we were checking the fuses in the engine bay they all "looked" good. When I took out the 30A and the 40A fuses they came out fina and appear ok, I will probably change them anyway just in case. When I went to take out the 80A amp all crap happened. It broke and broke again and we could not get the rest of it out of the socket. It is almost like it was fused into the fuse box. That is as far as we got, we did not want to cause too much (more) damage. So I need at least a new 80A amp and a new Fuse box it looks like (part #7124-2510, I think), where can I get a fuse box?

If you guys have any insight or ideas that can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I need my winter truck back in order, she is too fun to not be driving. Thanks in advance!

L.J.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The 80 amp fuse is screwed into the fuse panel via a 10mm and 8mm bolt, one on each side. You have to remove the top off the fuse block, then release the clips holding the fuse and fuse holder in place. It will then slip out the bottom of the fuse block, thus giving you access to the two bolts. Once you remove those two bolts, you can take that fuse out.

ONce that happens, if nothing happens still, check your fuses under the dash. There should be a 15A ignition fuse which may have gone out. That block is located in the left kick panel.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
The 80 amp fuse is screwed into the fuse panel via a 10mm and 8mm bolt, one on each side. You have to remove the top off the fuse block, then release the clips holding the fuse and fuse holder in place. It will then slip out the bottom of the fuse block, thus giving you access to the two bolts. Once you remove those two bolts, you can take that fuse out.

ONce that happens, if nothing happens still, check your fuses under the dash. There should be a 15A ignition fuse which may have gone out. That block is located in the left kick panel.

You are the man! I have already replaced one of the 15A amps under the dash, now I will attack the 80A Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Ok so I got some problems fixed now. I replaced the Fuses and put in new spark plugs and cleaned out the K&N air filter. But the truck won't start still. It has ran a couple of times, rough as hell, and with starting fluid being prayed into it. But most of the time She just turns and turns without starting up. What else should I attack? I also just put in 4 gallons of 93 octane gas on top of what has been sitting in the truck for the last few months.

Also, I am an idiot. I put the battery in the wrong way to begin with. Who knew that the side with the black post cover would match up with the red post and the side with the red tape on it would match up with the black post, lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 PM

when your buddy jumped started the truck in the summer did it run ok then?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 PM

did u check relays too under the hood. Or it also might be ur starter.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:08 PM

It turns over but doesn't fire and it's been sitting for along period of time? Assuming it's efi, could be your fuel pump is dead.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Staff

You hooked up the battery backwards?? It is possible that you fried a lot of electronics. Usually the fuse stops that but...its still possible.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Just Learning
when your buddy jumped started the truck in the summer did it run ok then?
Yes it ran fine when after he jumped. He also just threw in his red top battery for the few days he used it and it ran just ducky with no problems.

Originally Posted by sprince
It turns over but doesn't fire and it's been sitting for along period of time? Assuming it's efi, could be your fuel pump is dead.
I am going to attempt to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, How do I get to the fuel pump? It is under the passenger side seat right? I tried briefly, getting the seat to come out but it wouldn't bugde. I think I need to un bolt it under the front of it, right?

You hooked up the battery backwards?? It is possible that you fried a lot of electronics. Usually the fuse stops that but...its still possible.
What could I have fried for electronics? I replaced all of the fuses, is there a fuel pump fuse or anything type of fuse for the fuel system? The radio does not appear to work, so I may have fried that, or it is just a POS, it is the original head unit.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Staff

Easy way to tell if your fuel pump is working is to crack the 12mm Banjo bolt for the cold start injector. Just crack it open a bit, and have someone turn over the engine. If fuel sprays out, then you know the pump is working and you can worry about the EFI system. If No fuel comes out, you know something is preventing the fuel pump from working. If thats the case, then you should bypass the whole system and jump the fuel pump wiring to see if the pump works at all. If it does, then youo know you have a system related problem, and that its not the pump.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juice33
What could I have fried for electronics? I replaced all of the fuses, is there a fuel pump fuse or anything type of fuse for the fuel system? The radio does not appear to work, so I may have fried that, or it is just a POS, it is the original head unit.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/battery-reverse-polarity-101279/

Rob
Old 12-17-2006, 12:07 PM

Hmm, I have replaced all of the fuses, including the 80a (I don't have a 100 amp fuse like the 96), I also put in new 30a and 40 fuses too. The truck turns over but won't start. I am going to look at the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I hope the problem is one of those two things.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:10 PM

Easy way to tell if your fuel pump is working is to crack the 12mm Banjo bolt for the cold start injector. Just crack it open a bit, and have someone turn over the engine. If fuel sprays out, then you know the pump is working and you can worry about the EFI system. If No fuel comes out, you know something is preventing the fuel pump from working. If thats the case, then you should bypass the whole system and jump the fuel pump wiring to see if the pump works at all. If it does, then youo know you have a system related problem, and that its not the pump.
Where is the cold start injector? Is it with the fuel pump under the seat? Do I need to unblot the seat to get to the fuel pump or should the seat pop out more easily that it has for me, because when I tried to pull the seat out it didn't budge, so I assume I have to unblot it in front of it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:36 PM

Ok, I am not getting any current running to the 30a and 40a amps. What do I have to do for those to start working? DO i have to replace the wires?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Staff

Cold start injector is in the middle of the upper intake. Looks sorta like a mini-injector. You do not need to unbolt the seat, but you need to reach in and find the little strap that attaches to the latch.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM

Cold start injector is in the middle of the upper intake. Looks sorta like a mini-injector. You do not need to unbolt the seat, but you need to reach in and find the little strap that attaches to the latch.
I was yanking on that thing and the seat wouldn't budge. I guess i need more leverage.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 AM

heres a link for a online FSM

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

Last edited by CyMoN; 12-22-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Staff

yea sometimes they are sticky, but it should come out of there. Try pushing down on the seat while you pull up/put on that latch mechanism.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:38 PM

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is back and running once again. Thanks for all of the help fellas. You guys rock, don't let anyone tell you different!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Staff

what was teh problem?

Quick Reply: 86 4Runner won't start!