Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

#6 blew again...What would you do???

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#6 blew again...What would you do???

Hey all,

Been a couple of years since last posting after replacing HG's on sons 1995 3VZE.

Almost got 20,000 miles on the HG replacement and this past weekend it went again. Got gaskets from Rock Auto and replaced all the "innards when doing the HG last time. Also had both heads cleaned, vacuum tested and surfaced.

Runner now has 167,000 miles (149,000 when HG changed last). Should I...

1. go in again and replace HG's again?

2. Go in and only replace driver side HG

3. Reaplce the head and driver side HG

4. Any new developments since 2007 on #6 cylinder for this year Runner?

5. Part out and look for something that doesn't start with 3VZE?

6.Consider other means. Has anyone tried any of the snake oil additives and they work?

7. Am looking $1500 for mechanic to make repair IF the head isn't cracked.

8. Could a bad exhaust gasket stress a head gasket enough to cause it to fail?

I can't make the decision because I really like this vehicle but don't want to face the same thing again in only 20K.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas,

DJ
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well...you could re-route the crossover pipe UNDER the transmission..(or buy a set of headers..like DOUG THORLEY..or NWOR...or others lol) that would get rid of the heat problem from the exhaust...which is what i've heard is the cause of the headgasket failure.

since the heads are aluminum and the block isn't..they expand at different rates and therefore it blows the gasket...soooo...get rid of the heat (the exhaust crossover)

so in short..replace the gasket..(have the head checked out course)..and redo the crossover..and call it good
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM

also replace both HGs not just one if heat caused that one to go out odds are the other one is bout to go too. its also cheap insurance aswell
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM

yea i started to say replace both of them...but since he posted up replacing just the blowed one..i figured i'd post up that option...it would be very wise to just go ahead and replace both of them!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
and go toyota OEM head gaskets, heard people having probs with rock auto head gaskets fer some reason
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey Camo - Are you really in Vian? I am in Ft. Smith. I been looking for an 86-89 Runner for myself ('95 is my sons) but might comsider the PU if still available.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM

wow for real!?!? lmao i didn't even check out to see where you're from!

yes it's actually still available..it has a vacuum leak right now so it idles funny..and i'm working on getting the blower motor workin again..cuz it's COLD LOL

price is a little high compared to most around here..$3500 takes it though dude.

my brother in law wants it but we still aren't sure if he is going to take it....he has a new chevy..but his dad needs a vehicle..so they are gonna trade around and he might just buy the '86..but first come first serve LOL

does not come with a stereo lol..

rebuilt the 22r and didn't do anything to it performance wise except put the Cam in it (261C) and i put the header on it when i first got it last year.

has a new set of tires on it, that are NOT cheap LOL..X-terrains are expensive..but i found these with about 2000 miles on them for $350..no rips, no plugs, allll good

bought it for $2950, and it's on it's 3rd head (original, then 2 more) first was a blown headgasket, next was a manufacturer defect, and now it's all good with the cam in it.

speedo cable is broken, truck has about 195,000 miles on it, with about 4000 miles on the rebuild.

it's a little sluggish in the cold weather..but once it gets above freezing..she'll really open up!

anymore questions you can PM me
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Yup same here...

I saw where u was from and thought, I didn't know they had electricity in Vian. JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously though, I used to sing with the school superintendant in Vian, Rick Watson. I also have a scuba tank I need to pick at the dive shop in Cookson. Thought about making a dive over at Pine Cove but will wait till a little warmer. Small e-world, huh?

The pickup sounds great but a little more than I can afford right now. I also looked over some of your older posts and read some of the things you have done with the pickup. It is definately worth what your asking.

I guess my son will try listing his Runner on Craig's list. It's in really good condition inside and out. I just don't have the time right now to replace the HG again. The first time was during the peak summer months and you know how miserable it is around here during the summer, ie. not the heat but humidity. If not for the fuel economy I would have had the mechanic make repairs. Didn't think $1500 was too bad a price.

If he can't sell it with the blown HG, I imagine I'll keep it and work on it at a later date.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff
Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
just a thought but has anyone ever put some header wrap on that crossover pipe or had it ceramic coated to keep the heat down that goes into the head?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP, did you replace the head bolts when you did the head gasket?

The head bolts are Torque To Yield, they cannot be re-used, on time use only. If they are re-used and torqued with the factory procedure (angular rotation for the final torque rather than a torque wrench setting). If you reuse the bolts you will get a lower than required clamp force on the head, as the bolts have started to neck down and you will push the bolt material over the top of the stress strain curve.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason it blows isn't because of heat, it's because all the exhaust gasses flood #6, the 3VZ-E has one of the worst exhaust designs possible.

The reason the headers fix the headgasket problem is #6 doesn't get blow by since each bank has independent exhaust flow until around the transfer case.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM

well even with the stock manifolds...each cylinder get it's individual pipe to flow through..until the manifold dumps into the pipe lol

i get what you're saying though..but i think eliminating the exhaust crossover right there behind the head will fix the problem..and the exhaust GASES have nothing to do with the headgasket failure..it's the heat of the gases lol
Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM

header wrap will keep the heat off of the head (supposedly) but it will also "bake" the crossover..and will eventually cause heat cracks and such..and you will have to replace the crossover.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM

how much are ya thinkin about listing it for???? lol
Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The design does two bad things.
1) pushes exhuast gases back into 4th and 6th cylinders burning the valves.
2) "bakes" the corner of the head causeing head gasket failure.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

I know the dealer had updated style hg for the 3.0, and we always had to tear the block down and have the block resurfaced due to erosion. Seen and been involved with probly 75 or 100 hg done this way and never a come back, just a thought....maybe its the block side thats holding you up. And definiately replaced the head bolts, cheap insurance....way too much work not to.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Yup, replaced the TTY bolts...

Hey,

Outlaw Mike - Yup, I did replace the TTY HB's. If memory serves, I torqued each to 40 Ft. Lbs, painted a mark on each then turned each bolt 90 degrees twice (180 total).

Camo I don't know if he has even though of a price yet. I figure it's not going to be much. He has a kick-azz stereo system (that I installed) and I don't know if he will want it or not. As soon as I know I'll shoot you an IM. I can tell you this for sure and for certain, it will get headers if I do replace the hg's again.

DJ
Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM

I had the V6 redone in mine by a toyota master tech. (ask ME about jiffy lube! the one time I don't do it...) Then about 2yrs later hg goes. I had the 'recall' done on it. about 2yrs after that the valves needed redone on the heads because of a leak on #6 (burned). Put in headers that time. About 3yrs later hg goes again. I pulled motor out, fixed it, sold it and put in a diesel. Couldn't be happier. I'd swap in a 3.4 or a 1KZ if you can find it and not look back. It looks to me like some of these motors have no issues and others are repeats. Keep in mind all of the hg issues I had were fixed by the 'factory' and the surfaces on the block and heads were redone/or checked.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Anything I need to know before buying headers for this puppy? Do you all run dual pipes out the back or do most of the header systems include a pipe that connects the headers under the vehicle?

I noticed that Doug Throrleys cost around $600 and pacesetters around $200. Since I'm not concerned about performance would the lower priced headers be alright?

DJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #6 blew again...What would you do???