Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

5th gear whine & Marvel Mystery Oil

Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear whine & Marvel Mystery Oil

An independent shop replaced the manual tranny in my 88 SE5 with a rebuilt 10 years ago.

1 through 4 were always quiet. 5th was loud after the swap (quiet before).

I’m finally sick of the noise (it’s still the same, not louder).

I would like to avoid an input bearing job or replacing 5th due to missing teeth (two possible causes of the noise after a web/forum search).

Has anyone drained the tranny, filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil, drove around just a bit, and then replaced the gear oil?

Obviously, it won’t do a thing for missing teeth.

But, if it is an input bearing or misc. part, will it penetrate and clean ‘something’ related to 5th allowing fresh 80/90w gear oil to coat and help reduce the noise.

Does MMO have a chance at quieting the problem (or is this a stupid idea)?

Thx,
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I vote stupid.

:wabbit2:
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 10 years, drain and fill with MT90.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yep, stupid.

Took you 10 years to get sick of it? You'd think you be used to it by now...

Anyway:

1. What's being done during a transmission rebuild is replacing the bearings, synchros, and if necessary the gears. How could it be the input bearing or gears missing teeth then? They fixed those right?

2. There's no real way to thoroughly flush a manual transmission. If you want it to be clean internally it needs to come apart. Then everything get's disassembled and ran through a parts washer. Been there, done that.

3. NEVER put anything in there but gear oil.

4. Marlin Crawler HD Shift Lever Ball Seat.

5. Marlin Crawler HD Shift Lever Socket.

6. The reason for #4 & #5 is because they made my transmission quit making that noise in 5th gear. And that wasn't even why I bought them, just a nifty side-effect.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-05-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

6. The reason for #4 & #5 is because they made my transmission quit making that noise in 5th gear. And that wasn't even why I bought them, just a nifty side-effect.
These work for my daughters 1991 3VZE 5 speed?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Rebuild the tranny, its not that big a deal.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
Do you know of a good guide for that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy

X2 I installed both in my 89 5 speed and it got much quieter and the shifting was easier.

Originally Posted by xtremewlr
These work for my daughters 1991 3VZE 5 speed?

You'll need to know what transmission you have. Hit the links and check it out. They are a great low-cost upgrade/improvement.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Can I install these without dropping the tranny (i.e. is there enough room to work if you take off the boot and come from inside the cabin)?

Any theories on why/how shifter parts lessen 5th gear whine?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used lucas oil treatment in my old tranny to get rid of whine it worked great
Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i used lucas oil treatment in my old tranny to get rid of whine it worked great
if you want to try a quick fix before opening it up, i'd recommend the Lucas product as well. no draining and refilling though. follow the instructions on the bottle. additives condition the existing fluid, not the internal parts.

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
really?????? man that's some helpful advice. should he use the I DREAM OF JEANNIE HEAD NOD or the BEWITCHED NOSE TWITCH?

hey, why don't you stop over and do it for him? in fact, i'll even pay for it. $20 should cover it, SINCE IT'S NO BIG DEAL N' ALL.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lululalalu
Can I install these without dropping the tranny (i.e. is there enough room to work if you take off the boot and come from inside the cabin)?

Any theories on why/how shifter parts lessen 5th gear whine?
You can install them from the top of the tranny, no need to drop it. Takes about 10 minutes.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Mine has whined in 5th gear all its life... The sound has changed a bit over the last couple of years, which may be contributed to a deteriorating clutch.

If there's 1 thing I've learned during my rebuild, it's that there's 2 important things to keep in mind.
1. Take lots of pictures. Just when you think you have enough, take more. (Doesn't apply)
2. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.

If your truck makes "too much noise" then maybe you shouldn't own a Toyota. OK not trying to be an a-hole so let me put it in kinder words...

If your truck makes "too much noise" then perhaps your entertainment system is "sub par"

Eh......... Personally I like the Toyota one more...
Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
if you want to try a quick fix before opening it up, i'd recommend the Lucas product as well. no draining and refilling though. follow the instructions on the bottle. additives condition the existing fluid, not the internal parts.
Why no no draining and refilling? I’ll need to make room bc it is full. Do I add a whole quart of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer? How hot does the gear oil need to be to mix with the lucas?

Originally Posted by Junkers88
You can install them from the top of the tranny, no need to drop it. Takes about 10 minutes.
Got it. Thank you. It’s right inside the shift lever retainer holder (after looking at the pictures again).

Originally Posted by Badger62811
If your truck makes "too much noise" then perhaps your entertainment system is "sub par"
Absolutely love my 88 se5. Another old runner honked a salute to me and the wife while driving to my cousin’s funeral (I mean wedding) just yesterday.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 AM

You don't want to use a full bottle of lucus just a part of one . I added to much lucus to my trans and it made it difficult to shift in cool weather.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM

I'd get a sample of the gear oil after it runs for a minute or two. If the oil has sparkles in it, then you know something.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by lululalalu
Why no no draining and refilling? I’ll need to make room bc it is full. Do I add a whole quart of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer? How hot does the gear oil need to be to mix with the lucas?

go to the Lucas website. Do some reading and see what others have done. You may find some tips in there.

The site specifies to add it as-is. But I'd drain only as much as you needed to fit it in if you're concerned with overfilling.

What i wouldn't do is drain existing oil out, add something to use like a "rinse treatment", then drain again and add gear oil, which is what it sounded like you were asking originally.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 05-24-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: edited to remove bad advice!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
I'd recommend their "Trans Fix" product for your tranny issues. go to the Lucas website. Do some reading and see what others have done. You may find some tips in there.

The site specifies to add it as-is. But I'd drain only as much as you needed to fit it in if you're concerned with overfilling.

What i wouldn't do is drain existing oil out, add something to use like a "rinse treatment", then drain again and add gear oil, which is what it sounded like you were asking originally.
No no no no......you don't add Lucas Oil Transmission Fix to gear oil, you add it to ATF.

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...D1F42F1FEF.pdf

You do add Lucas Oil Heavy Duty or Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to gear oil, ATF, or engine oil though.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-09-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM

My 81 with a stock 5 speed shifts great, there is no play in te shifter when it's in gear, but the bearings sounded like they were going to turn to dust any minute. It howled down the road in every gear but 4th and that was just compared to the other gears. I got the thickest Redline gear oil I could find, I think it was 140 (you need the NS or maybe not the NS- read the bottle and it will tell you if it's for a limited slip or not, u want the normal one) or something and a quart of their manual transmission oil and it quieted down a lot put the 1 quart of MT oil and the rest of the thick stuff. I mean a night and day difference.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
You'll need to know what transmission you have. Hit the links and check it out. They are a great low-cost upgrade/improvement.
How do I ID my tranny so I get the correct ball seat?

The plate is engraved with W56 but there is no series letter.

About a quarter inch over from the engraving in the bottom right corner of the plate is a printed black letter B. Spurious…?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th gear whine & Marvel Mystery Oil