Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

$50.00 paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tortis
you have been following this thread long enough to know that if i, tortis, the Y/T dummy can do it, you, or any one else can. it is like rolling a panel door, you have to make sure to get in the creases and brush out the runs before it tacks up to much. plenty of light helps. it really is a snap. it looks like you are where i was last month, getting new parts to replace brken stuff
Yeah dude, SEE WHAT YOU DID!!! Nah, jk, I had been wanting to fix it since I bought it. You know how you see a diamond in the rough when you are going to buy it? Then you read about all these cool rigs and do it yourself projects, but don't get your @ss moving to start it? Well that was me til I saw the "$50.00 paint job". Thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Yeah dude, SEE WHAT YOU DID!!! Nah, jk, I had been wanting to fix it since I bought it. You know how you see a diamond in the rough when you are going to buy it? Then you read about all these cool rigs and do it yourself projects, but don't get your @ss moving to start it? Well that was me til I saw the "$50.00 paint job". Thanks!
blame Y/T. i was going to sell my junk till i found this forum a couple of months ago, and decided to fix it up and keep it. i just don't want to spend a lot on my junk. don't forget the pics.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
The guy that fixed the rust on my truck told me the same thing. I began to sand/scuff the paint on the drivers side rear with 220. It knocked the clear off and felt pretty good for catching paint, but he said sanding it with water would work MUCH better... You guys agree?
i wet sanded mine with 400 grit if my mind serves me well.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robert m
i think im going to try and spray this stuff. anyone know what to use to thin it? that part of my can is covered with paint so i cant read it.
it should look awesome if you spray it on.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 AM

awhh the good old roller paint job, theres a good write up on honda-tech
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

i think im going to try and spray this stuff. anyone know what to use to thin it? that part of my can is covered with paint so i cant read it.
I read on TTORA to use regular mineral spirits. Odorless will work too, but I read regular helps the paint cure faster....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

High Density Roller

Hey, I just got back from Home Depot. The biggest high density rollers they have are 6", then theres 4", & 2". What size did you use???
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

here are the steps for my paint job.
1. wash the truck
2. do body work
3. remove door hardware, rear lights, wiper blades, gas door, and antenna.
4.sand truck with 220 sand paper
5.wash truck, and take leaf blower to blow water out of all the cracks
6.i let my truck sit over night in the shop to make sure all was dry
7. go over truck with rag soaked in oms. fold the rag so you can keep flipping it to have a clean side when one side gets dirty. if you go over it with glass cleaner then oms that would be better.
8.tack rag the whole truck
9. wet the floor to keep dust down
10.pour up the paint and get your 6" high density foam roller and i used a 3" foam brush
Duh...nevermind. I just re-read and saw this...

i wet sanded mine with 400 grit if my mind serves me well.
So was it 220 grit or 400??
Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Contributing Member

my mind did fail me. 220 grit. read the can and make sure. i think you can use 220-400 grit. wait a minute i don't have any wetsand 220 grit only 400, so it was 400 that i wet sanded with. i used 220 to knock down the bondo.

Last edited by TORTIS; 09-28-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Once again tortis, THANK YOU!

Anyways, I was trying to pull the handles and key hole off and what a pain. I took off the door panel and pulled the bolts off, but there is that wire lever attached to it, with a plastic clip. I don't wana break anything and screw that up. How did you take it off? I'm thinking of just taping the handles...
Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

get a flashlight and look and you will see that the metal rod passes thru the plastic clip. the clip hinges on the rod. once you see which way to push it it pops right off. you should be able to feel the rod on the open side of the plastic piece, push it back and it comes off. it does not take much pressure. picture a horseshoe and that is what that plastic piece is shaped like. i will be in cell range till about 3 this afternoon. good luck and again, lot of pics.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
well i sprayed the brightside paint and it worked a lot better then rolling it IMO. i just have to fine tune the gun. i got a few runs in the paint because (1) i thinned the paint to much and (2) because the gun was throwing out too much paint. but this stuff is great when sparyed. leveled out really good has no light or dry spots. im just going to have to order more of it to do the rest of my car. seems like you use a lot more paint when you spray then when rolling this stuff.

EDIT: i am by no means a painter and this is the 3rd time i have ever sprayed anything through a gun.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM

what do you use for a clear coat????
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

well i sprayed the brightside paint and it worked a lot better then rolling it IMO. i just have to fine tune the gun. i got a few runs in the paint because (1) i thinned the paint to much and (2) because the gun was throwing out too much paint. but this stuff is great when sparyed. leveled out really good has no light or dry spots. im just going to have to order more of it to do the rest of my car. seems like you use a lot more paint when you spray then when rolling this stuff.

EDIT: i am by no means a painter and this is the 3rd time i have ever sprayed anything through a gun.
pics. we need pics. i wanna see the results of this paint sprayed.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by shoes138
what do you use for a clear coat????
no clear coat, it's glossy enough and it's made to be submerged in salt water so it's pretty durable.

the guy that originally started this rolled on paint thing says that clear is doable but useless as it just makes it harder to fix dings and scratches.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Exclamation different type of paint

hey guys my friend just recently got his motorcycle line-x. so i was thinking if I could do it to my truck, i was thinking hey no scartches ever again and it would be solid, what yall think?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's lots of threads about doing this, try searching for them. Some people here have used bed liner as their exterior paint, typically on their rocker panels. It would definitely be an expensive paint job if you chose to go Line-X for the full truck instead of DIY kits like Herculiner.

I chose against it because many say it's more difficult to clean due to the texture, and it can fade in the sunlight.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM

yeah but its a toyota with 36in tires and 6 in lift it needs mud on it all the time
Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Bed Liner would do great.

Mono has valid points.

I am about to paint my 85 with rustoleum, and roll some clear on it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM

I painted a couple pieces using different Alkyd enamels with a foam roller. It can deliver amazing results. It's all in the prep. Using progressively finer grits is best. Don't jump from 100 to 400 grit. You'll get too many sand scratches. Wipe down the panel with mineral spirits prior to sanding with the next finer grit. Once you get up to 400 grit and finer you should use the wet /dry paper and wetsand. It keeps the paper from loading up. I've sanded up to 400 and polished with the No. 7 polish and it really shines. Finer grit will produce finer gloss.
I also experimented with Duplicolor's rattle can engine enamel, since it was a color that was real close to a color I was wanting. The nice thing was it dried real fast and no cleaning brushes or rollers. It has a great gloss without polishing so just experimenting with a few coats and I was getting real good results. Compared to maybe four coats of the rustoleum. And no mixing with rattlecan paint. Tomorrow I gets some pics in the daylight

Last edited by kellhammer; 10-07-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: $50.00 paint job