Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4WD won't disengage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD won't disengage.

1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 5Spd

recently had to put my truck into 4wd after getting stuck on a hill. After getting out of being stuck and nearly rolling off a cliff I managed to get home safely with Zero brakes. Two weeks goes by and I'm ready to change my brake booster and master cylinder. As well as my power steering pump, inner and outer tie rod ends , ball joints ( upper and lower) , also rear main seal. After repairs were complete my mechanic mentioned that I more than likely have either one or two of the front auto lock hubs still locked up. Up in the driver seat I have the 4wd shifter in 2H. The shaft between the Transfer case and tranmission does not spin in full circle only a quarter ways. Please help, don't know where to start too begin troubleshoot. Any and all info helps, Thanks you!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
If your truck is still in its factory conformation, it has no 'automatic hubs' Only permanently connected drive flanges

Take a look at a factory manual for your year and model and in a minute or two you will know more about your 4wd than your mechanic does.

Either your ADD mechanism is stuck locked, or perhaps the transfer case is not disengaging. Either could cause the front drivshaft not to rotate.

Sounds like your rig has suffered neglect and has multiple problems.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happens to me periodically. I just put it in first gear and softly jostle the car back and forth a few times with the clutch. Seems to loosen everything up. That being said, something is wrong with it and I suspect
itīs the same thing thatīs wrong with yours. Could be the ADD mechanism.