Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4Runner won't turn over

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner won't turn over

I just got a 1995 4Runner and have been doing some work to get into a little better shape. Part of that work included changing the 3 drive belts in the engine. After getting the belts installed I replaced the battery and got everything buttoned up. When I went to start the truck it made no attempt to turnover. The interior lights and accessories all are working properly but the car is unresponsive when I turn the ignition. There are few clicks initially in the engine but I cannot find the starter or the solenoid to see if that is where the problem lies. I don't believe I messed up any components when changing the belts and the tension on the belts seems fine, also the batttery is fully charged and I have tried jumping it and charging the battery seperately. Any help with pictures or guides to locate the starter or solenoid would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would look at your battery terminals not cracked or broken since it must have worked before I would look into the battery you just put the cables back on.

Did you get a lot of sparks and arcing when you put the cables on??

I hope not !!

crawl under your vehicle on the right side (passenger side) find where the engine and transmission meet .

Your starter should be up there just above the oil pan it will have a nice thick cable coming from the battery.

You might also tell us .

Just what engine you have???

We all need to learn somehow.

Welcome to Yota Tech
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM

If its clicking when you turn the key the starters hooped.

But yeah, we need more info!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Forgot to include a few things. I have the 3.0L V6 with 4WD and the 4-speed automatic (sadly) . I've taken the battery to get tested, it seemed to be in good working condition and there was no large reaction at all when I was taking the battery in and out. I plan on getting it off the ground today and either giving the starter a wack to try to get it to turn or taking it off and getting it tested to see if that's the issue. The terminals were a bit corroded but with a wire brush and some dieletric grease that won't be and issue any more. If it is the starter gone bad, why did it decide to coincide directly with when I was messing with the belts and is there a way to fix a busted starter or only replace it?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Try the hammer trick, I doubt your going to ever get a hammer in there and hit it so get a long pry bar or something and put it on the starter and hit the top of the prybar with the hammer. The starters on these are a real PITA to get at. That trick works all the time but if your starter is really gone it wont work. Starters are one of those things that just go out of no where with no warning.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Been trying everything it doesn't seem like there is even power getting to the starter yet all my other components seem to cutting on and the interior is working great.

Could it be the cable taking power from the battery to the starter? How do I test something like that?

Also I'm reading to check the starter solenoid, where do I look for that?

Last edited by mattrkraft; 01-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM

You can try some other trouble shooting too:

Run a jumper straight to the starter to see if you can get it to turn over (pay attention to +, -). If it does it could be an ignition/key wiring problem. Although, since you said it's clicking the wiring is probably good. Have someone near the starter when you turn the key and really be sure that the starter is the part clicking.

Pull the starter and get it bench tested. Lots of auto parts stores or shops will do this for you. And, if it's busted (which is probably is) you're already halfway done with the project!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Found out the starter isnt clicking at all. It's just unpresponsive when I turn the key. My dad suggested trying to jump the starter itself as well. Where do I hook up the jumpers on the starter, take off the wire connecting it to the battery and use that lead?

I've taken the front right wheel off to get better access to the starter but I want to wait to take it off until I'm sure I've tried everything else mainly because it's a bitch and a half to get that thing out.

Last edited by mattrkraft; 01-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM

yes. jump straight from your battery positive to the starter positive terminal. and ground the starter's negative terminal
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Ok so I have replaced the starter, tested the battery, and gotten made sure everything was in the right place and nice and tight. When I try to start my truck there is still zero response and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Any other good things to try before I have to break down and take it to someone?

Going out to get a voltmeter today to be certain it isn't any of the wiring.

Also, where is the fuse box located for all of the interior stuff?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM

just to review....
what exactly did you do for work on the truck before the no start issue? replaced the belts, but anything else?

can you jump directly from the battery to the starter and get it to start?

when you turn the ignition to on, does anything happen at all? can you hear the fuel pump turn on and prime, do your interior electronics (radio, courtesy lights, etc) and headlights/tails/turns work?

when you turn the ignition to start does it make ANY noise? a click from the starter, and sparking noises under the hood?

have you checked all fuses/relays, particularly your ignition fues (7.5 amp I believe) under the dash, and your starter relay under the hood?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM

try checking the acc wire that goes to the starter it has a little wire with a square tip sometimes they do not make good contact or it may be cut if that doesn't work try starting it directly get a 3 foot wire cinnect it where the small wire is at and take the other end of the wire and tap it to the + terminal from your batt make sure your you don't leave it connected as you will fry your starter if it works buy a switch and bypass it so you can have it inside your cab if it ever gives you problems again. Instructions have wire running fom a continous power source or your+ batt cable connect it to one of the terminals of the switch and have another wire running straight to your starter (small wire) just make sure is one of those puch in puch out switches like something like your horn once you let it go it will cut the current going to your starter
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 AM

Ok initially I aimed to replace the 3 drive belts (2 V-Belts and 1 Serpentine). In the process I had to remove to battery to get access to the power steering mount. The belts went in smoothly and I replaced everything. When I went to start the car there was no response at all when I turned the key to start. So far I have replaced the starter and the battery cable running to the starter. I hooked the switched power on the starter which runs from the ignition to a cable and and tapped the battery like you said and my car did turn over and we got it to start by placing the key to the on position. By now I have narrowed it to either the ignition switch or the wiring. Should I try replacing the ignition switch or just rig my own wire?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM

so i'ts your starter if it did not start directly it has to be that, or are you sure you connected the cable to the + terminal on the batt to the stat, and is the "big wire connected where is supose to and is it tight sounds like your starter is not getting current from the "big wire"
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM

he said it did turn over and run when he jumped straight to the battery, therefore starter=good. Battery is also clearly okay, so matt, you are correct, ignition switch or wire.

I have to ask again, did you confirm all switches and relays are good? if they are, then my guess would be a wiring issue, as that's the only thing that makes sense that you could have damaged working under the hood.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM

my bad guess i saw "did not turn over" duhrr
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM

Have you checked the 80amp alt. fuse in the engine compartment?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Test the starter relay, the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, and the wires.

Nobody mentioned the safety switch
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Finally figured out what the issue was after replacing nearly the entire ignition system. During the installation of a new ignition switch (old one was in rough shape) I noticed some wiring which was going to the relay had been spliced off to some off color wires which were running behind the steering wheel. Seems that the previous owner had installed some sort of security box which controlled the power from the ignition and when I removed the battery the box unswitched the power. So after a couple hundred dollars worth of parts it turned out to be a security system I never knew was in the car, boy do I feel like an idiot, but a new starter is never a bad thing I guess. Although, I wish he would have mentioned the little black box when I was buying the truck it sure would have saved me the time and agony. Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate your time. I definitely know my way around the old girl a hell of a lot better now.

On a different note, I'm looking into getting a new muffler and tailpipe run. Any recommendations on a good muffler that fits nice and has a good sound?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Hope everyone got the lesson. if it ain't broke don't fix it, if you ain't tested it it's not broke yet.

On a semi related note, does anyone have or know where to get the documentation for the factory/dealer optional security system.

On a different note, I'm looking into getting a new muffler and tailpipe run. Any recommendations on a good muffler that fits nice and has a good sound?
This reminds me I still need to weld up the hole in mine. I don't mind my oem one personally. toyotapartsbarn lists it at 100$ for my model, for about 30% more I can get a stainless one locally however.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4Runner won't turn over