86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Runner values

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
4Runner values

I'm kind of looking at getting a 4Runner and I'm wondering what y'all think is a good price for:
a 90s (2nd Gen) 4Runner 4x4, MT, 6 cyl (there seem to be more 6 cyls available than 4s)
in good shape body and chassis wise,
running, but I'll assume it would need a little work
with less than 200k miles.

Thank you
Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
Every truck is an individual, just as owners are, and will have its positive and negative attributes.

It would help to take a friend with some truck savvy along when you are looking. A critical eye and second opinion can help.

Look at dozens of examples and try not to get 'the fever' about one particular truck while overlooking its shortcomings.

Az is a good place to buy one because there are many completely rustfree candidates.

I looked at 50 or more over a years time before I bought my '95 with 108,000 for $3800 several years ago.

I ultimately limited my potential choices to MT '94 and '95 models because I wanted an AC that had been R-134 from the start.

I really wanted a 22re 2nd gen, but it just was'nt in the cards; I'd probably still be looking for one today. 4 cyl 2nd gens are hard to come by. Well kept ones even more so.

I saw many junky and thrashed 'Runners that people were asking Big money for; and barely running project trucks for $1200 to $1500.

Take your time and you should be able to find a decent one in the $3000 range that you can build up a little.

Good luck!!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^ What Millball said ^^^

And, IMO, it all really depends on your budget and/or how badly you want one. I just went through the ordeal of considering an A/T overhaul for my wife's '92 4rnr with the 3vze. It was going to be $24-2500. Then, we discovered we could just as easily find another 2nd or 3rd gen 4rnr for a little less in some cases, and as much or a little more in others. Considering what we'd have to pay for the tranny, those prices were looking really good for just getting another entire vehicle. And, this is on a budget limited more than most people's. As well, all the vehicles we looked at were running and in good to really good shape. But, for what you're looking for, I'd say around $2,500 would be the most I'd pay. It would really have to need very little work, though. Personally, I'd even broaden the mileage range to 250k at most IF the engine and other major components were really well managed.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Every truck is an individual, just as owners are, and will have its positive and negative attributes.

It would help to take a friend with some truck savvy along when you are looking. A critical eye and second opinion can help.

Look at dozens of examples and try not to get 'the fever' about one particular truck while overlooking its shortcomings.

Az is a good place to buy one because there are many completely rustfree candidates.

I looked at 50 or more over a years time before I bought my '95 with 108,000 for $3800 several years ago.

I ultimately limited my potential choices to MT '94 and '95 models because I wanted an AC that had been R-134 from the start.

I really wanted a 22re 2nd gen, but it just was'nt in the cards; I'd probably still be looking for one today. 4 cyl 2nd gens are hard to come by. Well kept ones even more so.

I saw many junky and thrashed 'Runners that people were asking Big money for; and barely running project trucks for $1200 to $1500.

Take your time and you should be able to find a decent one in the $3000 range that you can build up a little.

Good luck!!
I didn’t realize the 4 cyl 2nd gens were rare(ish); guess I’ll scratch that off my wants list, unless I get lucky. I won’t be getting a non- runner I have too many other projects to go that route right now, and too many things can be wrong with a non-runner. I can deal with something in rough condition (except for bad rust) and bring it up, but it’s gotta run/drive well. I have plenty of test and repair tools.

Thanks mill
Old 12-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by thook
^^^ What Millball said ^^^

And, IMO, it all really depends on your budget and/or how badly you want one. I just went through the ordeal of considering an A/T overhaul for my wife's '92 4rnr with the 3vze. It was going to be $24-2500. Then, we discovered we could just as easily find another 2nd or 3rd gen 4rnr for a little less in some cases, and as much or a little more in others. Considering what we'd have to pay for the tranny, those prices were looking really good for just getting another entire vehicle. And, this is on a budget limited more than most people's. As well, all the vehicles we looked at were running and in good to really good shape. But, for what you're looking for, I'd say around $2,500 would be the most I'd pay. It would really have to need very little work, though. Personally, I'd even broaden the mileage range to 250k at most IF the engine and other major components were really well managed.
Well, I like Toyotas in general and having a 4Runner would be good for a number of reasons. I avoid A/Ts if I can and for this I will - unless a really sweet deal shows up. Yeah, as I typed out 200k miles I hesitated a bit since I’ll be looking at 30 year old trucks – so the miles will be a bit open and considering how the vehicle was up kept and records (if any).

Thanks thook
Old 12-30-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
X2 on many factors and depending on region you live in. Seems many selling them believe they are sitting on a gold mine and will get rich selling it. Good luck and shop wisely.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
X2 on many factors and depending on region you live in. Seems many selling them believe they are sitting on a gold mine and will get rich selling it. Good luck and shop wisely.
"shop wisely" THAT is a big part of my plan. Thanks MP
Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
"shop wisely" THAT is a big part of my plan. Thanks MP
you got right attitude. Local guy was selling a1st gen 4rnr with rusted out frame filled with foam and bedlined for $4000. And someone bought it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
My '94 is pretty close to what you want (it's not for sale) and if I was going to sell it I would probably list it for $3000 and accept $2500. Just one data point for you.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM

Well, I like Toyotas in general and having a 4Runner would be good for a number of reasons. I avoid A/Ts if I can and for this I will - unless a really sweet deal shows up. Yeah, as I typed out 200k miles I hesitated a bit since I’ll be looking at 30 year old trucks – so the miles will be a bit open and considering how the vehicle was up kept and records (if any).

Thanks thook
You're welcome. Question, though....why avoid the A/T's?

Right. It's getting harder and harder to find these vehicles with less than 200k on them, but it's not impossible. I've been surprised at what some of these YT cats have managed to turn up.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I paid $400 for mine after a relative hosed a front brake job
Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by thook
You're welcome. Question, though....why avoid the A/T's?

Right. It's getting harder and harder to find these vehicles with less than 200k on them, but it's not impossible. I've been surprised at what some of these YT cats have managed to turn up.
why avoid the A/T's? Biggest is the cost of repair (I haven't done a rebuild on any A/T), I can choose gears if I want to make a change, and I prefer to clutch/shift (racing habit I guess),
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
My '94 is pretty close to what you want (it's not for sale) and if I was going to sell it I would probably list it for $3000 and accept $2500. Just one data point for you.
Originally Posted by dropzone
I paid $400 for mine after a relative hosed a front brake job
You guys are just messin with me now.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
you got right attitude. Local guy was selling a1st gen 4rnr with rusted out frame filled with foam and bedlined for $4000. And someone bought it.
I don't want to be "that guy"
Old 12-31-2016, 03:13 PM

I don't want to be "that guy"
I knew of the guy selling it. Was even gonna help him out with a smoking deal on a front bumper. But once I saw the Craigslist add and he told another yota buddy about rust on his rig and what he did. I wiped my hands of him.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

With the age of these vehicles I don`t care how well maintained they might have been.

Every one of the 10 plus Toyota 4x4`s I bought even the best maintained took a $1000 in parts

There is always areas that get neglected .

My 2 87 4Runners I bought for less then $800.00 each and drove them both for years after bringing them up to my standards .

3.0 Timing belt 2.4 timing chain and guides both something to think about
Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I do not like an automatic transmission in the 22 or the 3.0, the transmission robs to much power from the motor in my opinion. Chances of finding a 22re in a 2nd gen runner is hard to find, I have only seen one and I have seen numerous Toyotas. Test drive a manual and automatic Runner to see if the power is going to be an issue for you. There is a difference. You see the 3.0 called the 3 slow, I feel it is the transmission that gives it the name and not the motor.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
With the age of these vehicles I don`t care how well maintained they might have been.

Every one of the 10 plus Toyota 4x4`s I bought even the best maintained took a $1000 in parts

There is always areas that get neglected .

My 2 87 4Runners I bought for less then $800.00 each and drove them both for years after bringing them up to my standards .

3.0 Timing belt 2.4 timing chain and guides both something to think about
Thanks for the info W. I was reading here about the 3.0 and the varying opinions and experiences with them and I noticed some references to the timing belt.
I experienced the 22R timing chain and guides thing a couple times now.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I do not like an automatic transmission in the 22 or the 3.0, the transmission robs to much power from the motor in my opinion. Chances of finding a 22re in a 2nd gen runner is hard to find, I have only seen one and I have seen numerous Toyotas. Test drive a manual and automatic Runner to see if the power is going to be an issue for you. There is a difference. You see the 3.0 called the 3 slow, I feel it is the transmission that gives it the name and not the motor.
I have the same dislike of A/Ts for the same reason, I'm not even gonna consider an A/T unless it is a fantastic deal.
From reading here about the 3.0 it does seem like the trans is a significant factor.

Thanks Terry
Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 AM

why avoid the A/T's? Biggest is the cost of repair (I haven't done a rebuild on any A/T), I can choose gears if I want to make a change, and I prefer to clutch/shift (racing habit I guess),
Repair.....it's true, they don't like heat. I suppose in AZ an A/T would be riskier. And, once you put coolers on them and mod them (valve body, manual shifter, ect.) they get costly that way, too. I'd always thought I'd like to swap in a 5spd to our '92, but the more I look at it the better the A/T's look for my usage. They do make it easier on the rest of the drive train for towing. And, even for crawling/offroad from what I read.

Anyhow, good luck on your vehicle hunt!