Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Hummer S.U.T. with Can-Back idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4Hummer S.U.T. with Can-Back idea

OK Here's the idea

My 93 runner has an S.A.S. and I have always liked the H1 Hummer so like a few other's here I thought that I would do the rear chop job this spring.

So I started looking at the few chop jobs done here and how they were done , I have the back of a 2000 Taco and figured that once I cut the rear off my 4runner I could cut the rear section off the truck and mold it to the rear of the runner and close it in and get the 4hummer look with a rear sliding window as a bonus.

After looking at the runner for awhile and planning it in my head my friend drives over on his way to his boat canvasing shop and asks me what I was up to so I told him my idea and showed him a few pic's of the 4runner's done on here and he said he liked the look as well.

Some how or another we got to looking around at the Tacoma's because he has been thinking about getting one for his shop truck and we see this silver Tacoma with a can-back on it and he Say's stop right there. He studies the truck for a few minutes and Say's "that's really nice for a cap on a truck" and asks if I can find any better pic's of the Can-Back so off to E-Bay we go.

As we search for any on E-Bay he proceeds to tell me how he got this new bender for doing canvas top's for boat's without them and it hits me.

I look at him and say "Frankie do you think you can build one for my truck after I cut it up?" He looks at me and Say's "Find me a few good shot's of how they are put together and it should be no problem" and off to re canvas the boat top he go's , and the search intensifies quick like.

Well I find the only one I can on E-Bay and copied these picture's to show him

3 Hours later he stops back by and asks if I found any usable pictures and I show him these and looks at me and says that's going to be so easy to build I can do it in about a day or two after getting all the measurements the sewing is going to be the hardest part oh the excitement! Anyway I got to playing around with MS PAINT to see what it might look like if we did it and this is what I came up with , let me know what you all think of this idea am I crazy? or doe's it look like something you would drive yourself?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 AM

Jeez, you're as giddy as a school-girl with a lollipop....
I think that will look very nice! I would drive a 4runner with something like that! I always love the look of chopped second gens
So it will be collapsible or what?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I would drive that thing in a heart beat. I would love to have some one make a top for my Trekker like that.
Spring needs to get here soon, I wanna see the chop.

I think it was Mossyrock's that started to make a removeable hardtop for his...having both the hard and soft top would be cool...

I know you have a connection knowing the shop owner, but curious if he gave you a price range for doing the soft top?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Jeez, you're as giddy as a school-girl with a lollipop....
I think that will look very nice! I would drive a 4runner with something like that! I always love the look of chopped second gens
So it will be collapsible or what?
Yea the idea is to have it collapse and the windows to roll up but if not possible then just like a truck camper/topper have the frame set up like the one in the picture's.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Start

Old 03-01-2009, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good idea and with tints and such, canvas comes in alot of colors.