Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.88 or 5.29 on a stick???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.88 or 5.29 on a stick???

Hello guys,

I know this question has been around more than enough, but it does not matter how much research I do, I can not find the right answer regarding my truck.

Look, I have a 1991 toyota pickup SR5 5sp MANUAL 31x10.5 (not my daily driver), which is in perfect shape and using a healthy 3vz. Right now it runs perfect, until I get on a hill, it becomes gutless, when I load it up and go to the farm (once a month) it also becomes gutless and when using H4 it is gutless. The only time which it is like a mad dog is L4.

Even though I do not do rock crawling, I use it to go mudding in it, so I am planning on installing 33x12.5 and I need to regear in order to get more response from it an spinning those heavier tires. So, since you heard the use of the truck, I would like to know which ratio you would recommend, 4.88 or 5.29 and if there is someone with the truck on 33s and using 5.29 please feel free to leave your feedback.

I am inclined on 5.29, because it gives me room for a 35s (just in case, not really pursuing that), I have heard it will get better MPG, I will get better response from 0 and last, I do not mind going 70-75 MPH tops.

Your help/advise will be pretty appreciated.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
with 35's you're going to want to install a lift of some sort. unless you already have one, something to consider. and, changing your gear even to 5.29's isn't going to help much with bigger tires. really it isn't. you're only improving on one aspect of the powerband.

i personally don't expect much from the 3vze. it's a fine motor for what it is and does what i need it to, but it simply doesn't have a lot of gumption regardless of health. you could spend a lot on performance mods, but if you read just about anywhere it's a lot of money for not much return. that said, the 4.88's should be adequate for what you want to do. just don't expect it to do a lot. i guess it's all relative, though.

perhaps there are other things you can do to improve the power. tune up? injector servicing? any vacuum or exhaust leaks? just ideas...
Old 05-20-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
If your going to spend $ on gears. Just go 5.29 and dont look back. Haha. And just get the 35s from the start, you know you want them. Theyll fit with a mild lift, or stock with a bit of trimming and hammering. Haha.

Are you sure the engine is running as it should be? I ran 33 on my v6/5speed ex cab truck for a few year, and it it loved it. It would turn 31s no problem all loaded up on the highway. Even pulled a mower trailer with it for a few weeks. It had 4.30 gears, but thats still pretty low. Maybe do a compression test to get a base idea of the engines health.. Sometimes just turning up the timing on the ole veezeee helps alot. Factory is 10, but you get a good power jump by going up to 14ish.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM

First of all, than you very much for your answers/advises. I will gor for the 5.29, if it is tol slow, there would be nl otjer way tahn bigger tires.

Btw, since making comparisons between 4.56/32" and 5.29/33", while running 2H, the only difference is less than 200 rpms, 2nd to 5th gear, but in 4LO, do you have any idea how different (higher rpms) would the truck be?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM

I have 5.29 and 33x12.50

I have that combo and a 1987 turbo pickup 22rte. I max my speed at 60-65 while still being careful I am planning to switch to 4.88 and 35in tires since freeways are scary with my combo. Just my 2 cents. it has plenty of power for anything just don't take it on the freeway. I have the 151f 5speed manual transmission.

Last edited by Thehands; 05-22-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more info