Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE top dead center thread? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE top dead center thread? Help!

Hi,
Transfering parts to new rebuilt long block and its time to put the timing belt and pulleys back on. The toyota service manual says to find top dead center, but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone direct me to a thread that can walk me through it?
Or just tell me if its easy enough. I did a search of this forum but could not find what I wanted.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's easy enough......

To find TDC on the compression stroke, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the #1 piston is at it's top most travel and the CS pulley notch is aligned with zero on the timing marker. The #1 piston will be at it's top most travel at the point just before it begins to travel downward again into the cylinder. Probe a screwdriver or flashlight into the plug hole to check it.

Then, rotate each cam clockwise until each pulley notch is aligned with the marker on the rear timing cover or backing plate.

There's an easy way to get the belt on, as well. When you have the belt on the crank and valve timing is set (everything's at TDC on the compression stroke), turn the LH (driver's side) cam clockwise just a hair past the timing notch. With the belt already on the crank gear, weave it around the idler pulley and stretch it over the LH cam teeth. Then, pull the LH cam pulley counter clockwise back to it's mark and you now have tension on the belt. Then, weave the belt under the idler pulley # with the water inlet, over the RH cam, around the tensioner pulley, and then set the tensioner. Once done.....if you've followed/understood this....rotate the timing belt at the crankshaft clockwise to see if the three timing marks stay aligned. If not, start over. If so, set the distributor. Have instructions for that?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:53 AM

I don't think the service manual spells that out either.
So, no I don't have the distributor instructions.
I don't want to f*** this part up.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Don't worry. The worst that can happen is the truck won't run. It's not like the 22re with an intereference style engine <<<<valves collide with pistons<<<< if you get the valve timing off. It's still a PITA, though.

Give me a minute. I'll find the FSM instructions for you so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Okay....it's somewhere in the "cylinder head" section for the 3vze.

Here's the '93 online factory service manual:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Download it and/or print it out and file it into a binder.

Anyway, click on "engine". Scroll down to 3vze/engine mechanical/cylinder head. It's in there somewhere's.

Note that are plenty of other sections for you to refer to....namely timing belt. You should use this FSM as your guide for most major mechanical work. I don't know what manual you have, but if doesn't cover distributor installation it can't be very helpful. Or, maybe you've overlooked it???
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 AM

OOOOPSSS!!!!!!!!

It's under ignition. Reference is under cylinder head.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...13distribu.pdf
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM

The #1 cylinder is closest to the front on the left when facing the motor ?, or passenger side all the way at the front ?, my sparkplug wires are not on.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Ooops again......terribly sorry.

I'm crossing over 22re info with 3vze. So, nevermind about the piston position.

As long as you have the crank at 0* and the cams aligned on their marks, you are at TDC on the compression stroke. Cam positioning determines compression stroke on this motor.

Look on pg EG2-43 under timing belt in the FSM link I sent. It shows you how to set it. It's really that simple.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:59 PM

thanks, It really wasn't hard at all. The Factory Service Manual the I have is the same as the one on line I just didn't know where to look in there.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Yep. I found the same thing when I first started out and rebuilt my 3.0. Wow.....it's not as hard as I'd thought it'd be!

And, I completely understand. It's a thick ass book. Lots to get familiar with.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Ooops again......terribly sorry.

I'm crossing over 22re info with 3vze. So, nevermind about the piston position.

As long as you have the crank at 0* and the cams aligned on their marks, you are at TDC on the compression stroke. Cam positioning determines compression stroke on this motor.

Look on pg EG2-43 under timing belt in the FSM link I sent. It shows you how to set it. It's really that simple.
what if the marks don't line up? My engine runs fine, I'm trying to get to the water pump.