Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze pinging/knocking? timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze pinging/knocking? timing issue?

Ive done some searching around and have not found any great info, just looking for a little more help.

i own the Haynes, Chilton and an online version for '93 manuals.

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup with the 3vze, i bought this truck around the 1998 time frame from my uncle. (i believe that he replaced the head gaskets himself or had it done by someone else?) (i adjusted the valves shortly after i bought it)When i joined the navy in 2000 i gave the truck to my brother.(he beat the crap out of it, i know he had to replace the clutch) At some point my mother bought it from him and she had it up until 2009 time frame.(she barely drove it)

About a year ago there was this slight pinging/knocking that developed(not at idle, only at about 2000-3000 rpms and the check engine light would pop on occasionally, i dont remember which code) i didnt really pay it any attention, the truck was mostly driven around town with no freeway driving also got smog check done (california) passed. Was able to do timing at that time(will come into play later.) Adjusted TPS. Shortly after i decided to go on a road trip in celebration of getting out of the Navy.

I found a great deal on a used Total Chaos caddy kit (the old Downey kit was in pretty rough condition) while i was ripping things apart, i decided to replace the timing belt and adjust the valves again

-removed Downey grand slam kit and installed Total Chaos caddy kit with Downey torsion bars, Fox 8" remote Res. shocks and t100 axles.

-removed all AC related parts

-replaced the upper idler bearing, tensioner bearing and all belts.(idler bearing was toasted, but belt looked good)

-intake plenum gasket, i noticed that a small piece of the gasket was missing(this was the cause for the check engine light.)(replaced gasket)

-adjusted the valves which were still pretty good (replaced the pcv valve and valve cover gaskets.)

-wouldnt go into gear unless you mashed the clutch pedal, turned out it was the clutch pedal bracket (replaced with new)

-compression test all cylinders in spec.

After getting everything put back together, timing marks lined up everything good, the pinging/knocking seemed to be a little worse(i cant honestly remember if i was able to time it or not, its been a while.) On my trip EFI fuse blew(turned out to be o2 sensor wires grounding out on exhaust.) Made it to Alaska, then flooded it out in a river (pulled plugs and turned over then started right up, changed all fluids) pinging/knocking seems worse than ever(again not at idle only in the 2000-3000 rpm range) decided to try and check timing to see if that was the issue (placed jumper in proper location and hooked up timing light, timing marks jumped all over, pulled jumper no difference-i know thats not right.

so far ive checked
-no check engine light or codes.
-TPS (good)
-AFM/VFM (good)
-coil (good)
-spark plug wire resistances (good)
-o2 sensor (good)

going to check
-distributor pickups?, i need a diagram for a 1991, 1993 is different.
-knock sensor?
-ECM, not sure exactly which circuits to check?
-need input on what else?

-replaced plugs (old still looked good)
-going to replace spark plug wires, cap and rotor.

Current problems are pinging/knocking (not positive which) higher idle (idle screw turned in all the way) and an oil leak on the passenger side (probably from valve cover gasket, just a pain to get to) besides all this still runs great.

Sorry for making you read through all this and thank you for any input.

-Andy
Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more info i forgot, while in Alaska i kept losing power steering fluid, rebuilt the pump and realized that the air valve was sucking the power steering fluid up, removed the air valve(idle up valve) and plugged and capped vacuum ports. i also tried a higher octane but that seemed to do nothing about the pinging/knocking.

i keep having this feeling that its the distributor, but i would like to check it before i replace it.
i would think that if a bearing was going out that i would have noticed some shavings after an oil change?
Also i cant imagine that a bearing going out would have lasted a year on a road trip?

thanks again for any input.

-Andy

Last edited by keepdiscoevil; 01-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.