Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE Low Idle, driveabilityissues HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3VZE Low Idle, driveabilityissues HELP!!

Hello all,
I've have scoured he internet on this issue and have tried everything I can think of or read up about and still have not cleared he issue. So, here's the low down. I have a 94 toyota 4runner with the 3vze. Solid ale swap, dual cases etc. Got it put together last summer and went camping. Motor has out 180k on it blew a head gasket in the hills. Got it home nd let it set in the garage for about a month. Started the tear down for the repair and wound up throwing some upgrades at it. Item 1. Brand new head castings ported with over-sized valves and new custom ground camshafts. ( still non interference) ARP head bolts and felpro head gasket kit. Also threw in the doug thorley header kits and a new set of balanced injectors, plugs, cap, rotor and wire as well. ( NGK R), aisin water pump and toyota timing belt kit) Got it all together and couldn't get the timing right. It was at what I would guess as being at 30 btdc for it to run ok. Started to look into it further and noticed dizzy would not line up on #1 when ll the marks are lined up on the timing belt. tried to restab dizzy, either comes up 12 degrees off in either direction depending on what tooth i put it on. So I decided to advance the river cam one tooth. walla! Dizzy lined up on #1 rotated twice to check marks marks were lining up half a tooth inside towards middle of the block on both cams. figure that should be good to go. Rn motor seemed to idle good, but after warm up had sight non consistent idle and at what I am guessing is about 500rpm once warm. no power on rev up. replaced tps, knock sensor, knock sensor harness, 02 sensor upstream and back, still had low power until about 4000 rpms also almost acts like it had a miss. Checked cylinder, #5 was running cooler thn the rest via a laser temp gun. checked spark ( good) pulled intake, replaced all of the injector connectors, they looked in bad shape put back together miss cylinder is now running at but the same temp as the others but still feel hesitation off of throttle. Also smells to be running rich. Tried to adjust afm to lean it out, seems to run better and not hesitate on throttle but also felt loss of acceleration. Checked vacuum and its running abut 13-15 needle bounces around between those at cold idle, warm idle when it drops its hovering at 10. rev it up it drops to zero the shoots up to around 20-25. then drops back down to about 10 once low idle resumes. Not sure what to do from here, I have been scratching my head. Wheeling trip is coming up at the end of the month and Im hoping I can get this figured out by then. Any ideas out there???
Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you positive that the TPS is adjusted properly?
Some symptoms you mentioned, erratic idle change, running rich.
IMHO if your messing with the AFM your masking a problem, not fixing it.
I would check your TPS to make sure it in spec. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I thought I did a good job setting it before. I will double check again this afternoon when I get home and see if it makes any difference. Any thoughts on the cam marks not lining up right in order for the dizzy to be lined up on the #1 post?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dixyboy69
Any thoughts on the cam marks not lining up right in order for the dizzy to be lined up on the #1 post?
I'm wondering if your TB is not lined up properly. Also did you remove the dizzy multiple times?
I would pull the cover and start checking for the belt being off a tooth.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoops sorry didn't mean to reply here. My bad.

Last edited by beard_thicc; 01-05-2023 at 09:37 AM.