86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vz turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vz turbo!!!

Before I begin.. I wanna start by saying this..

I KNOW ITS A 3VZ AND I KNOW THEY HAVE A BAD REPUTATION BUT I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING ANY SORT OF CONVERSION OR 3.4 SWAP, SO DONT SUGGEST IT!

You may be asking yourselves, "why are you going to do forced induction on a motor that makes minimal power and has a bad reputation for blowing head gaskets". To simplify things, im doing it because I can, and because I want to. If done properly and without cutting corners, the 3VZ could be a great motor if put under forced induction.

Unfortunately nobody makes a turbo/supercharger kit for the 3.0 (at least to my knowledge). I found a guy who makes great bolt on kits for the 5VZ and they are reasonably priced. The kit includes everything you need including headers, which is the real issue here.

My question to all of you is this..

Will headers that fit a 5VZ fit a 3VZ? I understand that the exhaust ports are different, but is the bolt pattern? Will the difference in exhaust port size/shape really be an issue here? If they wont bolt right up, what modifications must be done? Would it be easier to just fab a flange for the turbo on the stock 3VZ manifolds?

I appreciate all feedback on this. I know the information is limited because only a few guys have done this but im sure we can all figure it out.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly packaging either a single setup or twins is going to be a major obstacle. There just is not alot of room under the hood. Then you have an intercooler to think about. Then there is the fuel system that needs to be addressed. Is the ECU capable of adjusting itself for the additional requirements that a turbo/turbos entail. How adaptable is the stock ECU???? Will need a custom set of stainless steel headers. The VAFM would most likely be need to be converted to some type of mass air meter since it would be a blow thru design. There are many more variables involved in a properly set up turbo system.
A top mounted positive displacement supercharger bolted to the lower intake with custom manifolds would be a better choice packaging wise.
Then you have centrifugal superchargers........
Not trying to dissuade you just alot of things to think about.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 3.4 swap with a supercharger would be better in just about every way.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 AM

Im all for doing things 'just cos' they can be done. Ive done it myself numerous times. And now i regret it because it was alot of time, money and effort for not much more than self gratification. I hope u have a very deep back pocket and alot of patience. As mentioned u will need a maf setup, aftermarket computer for tuning, ability to do fab work. Make up ur own headers out of steam pipe and weld on the turbo flange of choice once u find a good place to mount it. Top mount intercooler will probably be the most viable option with a big bonnet scoop and body lift for clearance....thats just a few small things to consider.

Custom grind cams, compression ratios, oil/coolant feed and drain lines to the turbo. Will the fuel system be able to keep up? Will the cooling system be sufficient?

What happens to the systems operate by vac when the boost kicks in and u have +pressure, will there be any issues caused by that?

As much as u dont want to hear about it, why do u not want to consider trd 5vz or even a s/c l67 buick? Could go all out and do an LS1/2/3/A/X conversion. Then bolt a turbo to that lol...but in that case i hope uve got a contact in both the tyre, and driveline component industry

Last edited by Turtl3; 06-13-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is sadly right on. There is no cheap or easy solution for the 3VZEs low performance. Gearing and a 3.4 swap are probably the best options. There is a lot to consider when going forced induction on a motor like this. The compression ratio is perfect for forced induction and the bottom ends are decently strong. However that's where the good ends and you have a motor that is prone to head issues, with very limited engine and air fuel management abilitys. The injectors will need to be upgraded at a minimal on the fuel side and your going to have a hell of a time routing your hot side piping for the turbo. It's definitely not impossible but for that amount of time, money, and effort you could probably have a running 3.4 swap with a supercharger on top. If you are dead set on turbo then swap a 3.4 and boost it.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a 2jz swap would be cheaper. i did mine around 3k the first go around

if you want a boosted 3.0 this is the way to go. i looked into boosting a 3vz many times and while i started to put together a kit i swapped a 2j instead as it was less money and a lot of horsepower in stock reliable form
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 AM

I understand its not going to be an easy feat and I will probably run into a lot of problems, but theres a guy on here who turboed his 3VZ for $700 and its been running like a dream for over two years. 11psi of boost and all he did was injectors. Theres just no way a 3.4 swap would be cheaper because I would have to pay someone else to do it, I do not have the resources or expertise available to me to do that in my garage. If theres someone in the phoenix area who can do a 3.4 swap for a reasonable price im all for it.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
a 2jz swap would be cheaper. i did mine around 3k the first go around if you want a boosted 3.0 this is the way to go. i looked into boosting a 3vz many times and while i started to put together a kit i swapped a 2j instead as it was less money and a lot of horsepower in stock reliable form
Thats badass and I wouldnt mind a 2JZ in my runner if i had the capabilities to do something like that, I just dont have the resources available to me to do any kind of engine swap.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You can`t do a 3.4 swap which is easier then turbo charging the 3.0

With all the fabrication work needed .

Are you having someone else build the 3.0 Turbo charger vehicle ??
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't know why you would declare that you don't have the resources to do an engine swap, while at the same time thinking that you could accomplish a turbo project on a 3vz.

There is much more troublesome fabrication involved in the 3vz turbo than in most complete engine swaps.

There are precious few folks who have ever got this done for any amount of money.

The guy that claimed to have spent only $700 on his turbo job, had to be a consumate fabricator, and problem solver of exceptional ability with access to first rate cutting and welding equipment, ect.

Please start a build thread and show us how you done it.

Last edited by millball; 06-13-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Also most likely never figured labor costs or the hours he spent figuring out how to do something

Also did not mention all the failures all the days of trail and error
Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Summit racing sells headers for the 3vz which are made for it. Ive never seen a turbo or super charger for this engine.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You can`t do a 3.4 swap which is easier then turbo charging the 3.0 With all the fabrication work needed . Are you having someone else build the 3.0 Turbo charger vehicle ??
well it just so happens that my best friend fabricates for MGI motorsports out here in AZ. And the guys over at Street Standard in scottsdale owe me a favor, so custom work will be dirt cheap for me if not free.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by millball
I don't know why you would declare that you don't have the resources to do an engine swap, while at the same time thinking that you could accomplish a turbo project on a 3vz. There is much more troublesome fabrication involved in the 3vz turbo than in most complete engine swaps. There are precious few folks who have ever got this done for any amount of money. The guy that claimed to have spent only $700 on his turbo job, had to be a consumate fabricator, and problem solver of exceptional ability with access to first rate cutting and welding equipment, ect. Please start a build thread and show us how you done it.
Im not saying is going to be plug and play, or easy at all for that matter. I dont know why everyone overcomplicates forced induction on these forums, it really is such a simple thing if you know what you're doing.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:12 PM

It boggles my mind that i explicitly mentioned in my first post to not tell me how difficult it will be or tell me that a swap would be a "better" option, thats not what im looking for here.

So lets go back to square one and try to answer my original question..

WILL 5VZ HEADERS FIT A 3VZ?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mreagen
Im not saying is going to be plug and play, or easy at all for that matter. I dont know why everyone overcomplicates forced induction on these forums, it really is such a simple thing if you know what you're doing.
Engine swaps are too.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM

As to the headers, you would be shooting yourself in the foot trying to use any sort of tube headers in conjunction with a turbo.

Turbos want high exhaust heat and velocity in order to function half way effectively.

Both are largely lost in long tube thin-wall headers.

Most turbo setups use plain cast iron exhaust manifolds with the turbo close as possible to the exhaust heat source.

No one who offers 3vz headers claims that they will fit a 5vz.

Last edited by millball; 06-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I remember reading about a 3.0 that with turbos https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...08/#post539441
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by millball
As to the headers, you would be shooting yourself in the foot trying to use any sort of tube headers in conjunction with a turbo.

Turbos want high exhaust heat and velocity in order to function half way effectively.

Both are largely lost in long tube thin-wall headers.

Most turbo setups use plain cast iron exhaust manifolds with the turbo close as possible to the exhaust heat source.

No one who offers 3vz headers claims that they will fit a 5vz.
Originally Posted by Turtl3
...ability to do fab work. Make up ur own headers out of steam pipe and weld on the turbo flange of choice once u find a good place to mount it.
yep...exactly y i said steam pipe...u may need to upgrade ur front springs once the steam pipe headers go in tho lol...heavy stuff

Last edited by Turtl3; 06-14-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by mreagen
It boggles my mind that i explicitly mentioned in my first post to not tell me how difficult it will be or tell me that a swap would be a "better" option, thats not what im looking for here.

So lets go back to square one and try to answer my original question..

WILL 5VZ HEADERS FIT A 3VZ?
Summit racing sells headers for the 3vz which are made for it. Ive never seen a turbo or super charger for this engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d.../model/4runner

Quick Reply: 3vz turbo!!!