Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZ Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZ Problems

I bought a 1995 4X4 pickup DLX about a month ago. It has the 3.0 with an automatic. All in all...the truck is great, was a 1 owner with 112K miles. I noticed that when you start it up....it runs a little rough for 30-45 seconds and then smooths out and runs fine. I put new plugs and wires on hoping it would resolve this, but it didn't help at all. I was thinking it might be the cold start injector.....the other problem is the coolant....after driving 20-30 miles...if you stop...you see a little coolant on the ground. I have looked every where under it and I can't find where its coming from....I also hear, in the cab, what sounds like "rushing water" where the heater core is....any help or ideas would be appreciated
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 AM

I'm working my own 3.0 (3VZE) issues, which I'll update once I figure it out, but I can tell you this as far as the coolant leak: check your lower radiator hose at the block (that's where the thermostat is) and the radiator. I have small leaks at both. There's an o-ring for the thermostat, it could be losing its seal. Or the hose clamps could be loose or just old enough that they're not providing a good seal.

Many things could cause the rough running, so I won't speculate. Best bet is to do a keyword search here on Yotatech. You'll find hours of reading to help you troubleshoot.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
USUALLY, if you're losing coolant & can't find it, it's the water pump weep hole. YOU NEED TO FIX THIS SOON to avoid an overheat issue which willl cause you major issues. Read the Epic 3VZE thread in my sig line!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
what TNRabbit said OR you could be burning coolant, then that is a head gasket, could be water sitting in the cylinder and blowing out after a few seconds from start-up..smell the exhaust?
Check for codes first, that will get you started on why it runs rough.
The rushing water sound is the fact you are either low on coolant or your heater core has some obstruction.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM

no codes.....I checked.....exhaust dosen't smell sweet......I'm thinking the water leak, and the rough idle at start up, are 2 seperate problems....I had planned on changing the timing belt, just for my own peace of mind...might as well put a new water pump on.....thanks guys...for all the replies
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
what TNRabbit said OR you could be burning coolant, then that is a head gasket, could be water sitting in the cylinder and blowing out after a few seconds from start-up..smell the exhaust?
Check for codes first, that will get you started on why it runs rough.
The rushing water sound is the fact you are either low on coolant or your heater core has some obstruction.
X2 on possible burning coolant in one or more cylinders upon cold start.
I would do a block check for exhaust gases in coolant.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Dont forget that there are some small are to see coolant hoses in the back of the engine that could be causing your coolant leak. Just something else to check... good luck
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Parker2510
no codes.....I checked.....exhaust dosen't smell sweet......I'm thinking the water leak, and the rough idle at start up, are 2 seperate problems....I had planned on changing the timing belt, just for my own peace of mind...might as well put a new water pump on.....thanks guys...for all the replies
There's a small, upside-down u shaped hose behind the passenger side of the plenum that is a common location for a leak. Remove the hood to make your life easier, start the engine, & run it up to about 2500 rpm while watching that hose.....
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
"G"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you replace cap and rotor?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Hey Parker, any update?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM

@G....I didn't replace the cap and rotor.....when I put the new plugs and wires on, it ran smooth....I really haven't had time to do much to it.....thankfully, I have been really busy with work....I do volunteer work at my local VFW....between that...work...and the "ole lady" wanting to go camping....I just haven't had time....
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM

If you're still troubleshooting, the "rushing water" noise with the heater is normal enough. Mine does that every time but with no issues. Maybe it's a precursor to something else but it does not mean you have a leak.

I second the U-hose on the back, mine burst and smoke poured out of the engine. Just take a flashlight when it stars leaking again and follow the train of coolant, it should lead to a hose somewhere (unless it's leaking out of the weep hole of the water pump, then it's come out of the front of the engine). With some careful attention to detail, you'll find it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
"G"

Rushing water is probably the drain for the hvac system is clogged. Especially if it swishes on turns. Water (condensation) will build up and pool in the system if the drain is clogged.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by "G"
Rushing water is probably the drain for the hvac system is clogged. Especially if it swishes on turns. Water (condensation) will build up and pool in the system if the drain is clogged.
Please excuse my thread jack.

Where's the plug located? I haven't worked on my HVAC system yet, one thing that has worked fine since I got the truck. I only get the water sound when the heater is first turned on, it goes away. A/C does not make any noise. Pretty sure this is the same thing the OP is experiencing.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
"G"

It's a drain tube at the passenger side foot well. It's attached to the bottom of the hvac housing. They always get clogged with leaves and gunk and back up the entire system.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM

OK....finally got time to work on my truck....the little "U" hose on the back of the motor was leaking....not bad though....I replaced it and put on new clamps.....while I was changing the hose I noticed a "valve" in the back of the intake with 2 small vacuum lines coming out of it....one was broken off....it appears one of the lines gets vacuum from the throttle body (the one that was broken) and the other line goes to the vapor cannister....I flushed the cooling system again, replaced the t-stat housing gasket, and re-filled with anti-freeze......now it is spitting water out of the radiator....and temp indicator is really high.....I can't win.....
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Also....I meant to ask if any one knew what the little "valve" was withe broken vacuum lines that I mentioned in the above thread was.....I don't know if I'm coming or going sometimes.....thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Parker2510
Also....I meant to ask if any one knew what the little "valve" was withe broken vacuum lines that I mentioned in the above thread was.....I don't know if I'm coming or going sometimes.....thanks
It sounds like BVSV or (Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve) or referred as TVV

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM

My TVV broke as well, I connected the vapor canister permanently bypassing the valve. No issues so far, but yours could be a vacuum leak.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM

OK....I tried to bypass the TVV and connect the vacuum lines.....the motor seems to idle faster....so I plugged both lines.....now the idle is back to normal....something else I discovered is that when I start it up....cold or otherwise....the rough idle I was experiencing is gone....I got some 5/32 tubing and was gonna try to fix the TVV....but I might just leave it bypassed.....on another note....I stopped the water leak at the "U" hose on the back of the motor....but I still have one in the front (passenger side)...that appears to be coming from around the bolts in the bracket the holds the A?C compressor on.....still scratching my head....

Quick Reply: 3VZ Problems