86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vz-e v6 valve cover issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vz-e v6 valve cover issues

Okay so some of you may know me and may have read my build which on a side note I have not updated in months and I really need too. Anyways straight to the point my trucks a 1988 3.0 4x4 Ext. Cab and my valve covers have been leaking and I've been putting it off and off and well now its biting me in the you know what. So to sum up any questions you may have, yes its leaking on passenger and driver side, roughly a quart within 3-5 days of daily driving, for sure not the head gasket, it is the valve covers so don't ask. I planned on doing it myself, I have the valve cover gaskets and I planned doing the PVC valve and rear cam plugs....Now here's the real issue today taking a closer peak at the valve covers I noticed a crack, now not in the gasket Im speaking about the actual valve cover or as some may say cylinder head cover. Anyways the crack that I can see is where the bolt goes through the cover into the head, now I've heard this is a common issue on the v6's people over tighten the vc bolts which cracks the holes on the covers. So I'm assuming they're cracked in multiple locations on the vc just by making an educated guess. Now here is where I run into more issues cannot find any replacement valve covers anywhere! So now I'll get too my actual questions, and please if you don't know what you are talking about don't reply.

My Questions;

1. Can I use valve covers off a different year 3VZ-E on my 88? I believe I can, but I've read too many things saying yes and no, so I decided too turn too the most trusted toyota community I know.

2. Can the cracks be fixed or should they not affect anything too much? Like I've read you can leave em or j-b weld them or some crap, but personally I don't wanna be doing this again in a couple months.

3. Can someone tell me where to order or buy replacement valve covers? like a link? Because I've only found 3 used OEM sets on Ebay in the last 5 hours I've been looking. And don't say wrecking yards or napa, I've already checked everything local with no results.

Also if I get a chance I will upload pictures so you can get an actual in-depth look at exactly what the heck I am talking about. Anyways thanks for reading hopefully y'all can lend me a hand.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve covers rarely go bad, so used would work just fine. I know you don't seem keen on the junkyard, but I would give it time. Toyota charges an exorbitant price and I don't think I'd trust aftermarkets to fit securely.

1. I don't think there's major differences... but there might be a slight difference from pre-89 to 89-95 trucks, so keep that in mind.

2. You could fix them with JB weld or an epoxy (they are plastic after all) as a small fix until you can find a pair. At least then you're not leaking oil everywhere.

3. They are hard to find...

Also, it is very important to put black silicon or FIPG where directed by the FSM. There's a few gaps in the cover near the front and back of the camshaft that is known to leak (though not as much as you are describing).

Try posting in the Marketplace here. I couldn't find a OEM chrome bumper for my truck for the longest time and within 1 week on here someone had one for sale. Think about it, every user on here has a truck with parts you can use! I'm sure you can get a pair.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 11-14-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM

3vz-e motors should have the interchangeable valve covers, whether from a newer truck or 4runner. I have taken parts of different years and they just bolt up to mine, from the junkyard. Be careful of electrical that would need to be changed or modified to fit yours.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Valve covers rarely go bad, so used would work just fine. I know you don't seem keen on the junkyard, but I would give it time. Toyota charges an exorbitant price and I don't think I'd trust aftermarkets to fit securely.

1. I don't think there's major differences... but there might be a slight difference from pre-89 to 89-95 trucks, so keep that in mind.

2. You could fix them with JB weld or an epoxy (they are plastic after all) as a small fix until you can find a pair. At least then you're not leaking oil everywhere.

3. They are hard to find...

Also, it is very important to put black silicon or FIPG where directed by the FSM. There's a few gaps in the cover near the front and back of the camshaft that is known to leak (though not as much as you are describing).

Try posting in the Marketplace here. I couldn't find a OEM chrome bumper for my truck for the longest time and within 1 week on here someone had one for sale. Think about it, every user on here has a truck with parts you can use! I'm sure you can get a pair.
Thanks man, really appreciate the advice. Just been really busy and had a lot going on lately and I've read a bunch of stuff the 3VZ-E and I'm gonna have to look into the whole valve cover swapping from a different year, because I'm honestly not sure on that but I've been wondering because my cousin has a 94 4runner 3.0 with a blown hg that I was thinking about swiping the valve covers from lol but honestly man thanks for the reply, I appreciate it and I'll give the marketplace on here a try because I need the parts by early next week so I can fix my baby cause I don't wanna be driving a damn cherokee or gas guzzling tahoe.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by KingsShadow
3vz-e motors should have the interchangeable valve covers, whether from a newer truck or 4runner. I have taken parts of different years and they just bolt up to mine, from the junkyard. Be careful of electrical that would need to be changed or modified to fit yours.
I'm thinking your right other than a T-100 3.0, I've looked at those and the passenger side valve cover does seem too look a little different.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I'll only leave some thoughts on JB Weld fix.

JB weld works well when you are joining two pieces together and the surface that is being glued to another surface mates cleaning and you are able to keep some pressure on it. JB welding cracks, in my experience has been a gamble. I've been able to succesfully do in on my dirt bikes radiator, and also unsuccesfully on other radiators. If you resort to jb weld, which I believe can work, prep the surface extremely well.

For my valve covers, I noticed various cracks due to overtightened bolts, but they weren't in a position to threaten improper installation or future leaks.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With as many dead 3.0's everywhere you thing you couldnt swing a dead cat without hitting a 3.0 valve cover.

How about.....you post on here in classifieds....want to buy...nice set of 3.0 valve covers? I bet there are a couple sets on here....just holding bolts in someones garage.