Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

35's no lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35's no lift

Well didn't really plan on it happening but when I went to the tire shop it was either a set of 33'' a/t's or 35" m/T's. So obviously I went with the bigger meats.

Didnt really think ahead about if they would fit or not just kinda went with it. Well these things are huge. Bottom line. 35" dick cepek mud countrys no lift. Looks slot better than the older tires which were only 245's.

When I put em on and started to drive around the yard I was rubbing on the mud flap bracket from where it was previously bent. Other than that they ride awesome. Even went and flexed it out as much as possible for ifs will allow. just can't turn real hard.

But if I were to drive on road only it could be done no problem.

I know yall hate it but I don't have any problems with a body lift so ima order me one up here soon.

If anyone wouldn't mind posting a pic for me. (on my BB. No net) shoot me an email at justmessin2003@yahoo.com it will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Body lifts sucks. Break out the hammer and the sawzall.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM

idk why but I actually like body lifts. but I have thought about it.

I'm in Georgia so I don't have to worry about tipping over on trails they r all flat lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Pics?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Don't have net at the new house yet. Just on my blackberry. If you wouldn't mind posting one for me send me an email @ justmessin2003@yahoo.com
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with a body lift. Have at it. If that is all you end up needing then more power to you.

Scuba might like to elaborate on why body lifts are so bad rather than just pronouncing them sucks with no further reasoning.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM

And while we are here. my truck is geared with 4.88's and going from the smaller 245/75/16's to the 35's I didn't really notice a drop in power. It feels the same as before. I honestly was expecting it to be worse as I've read on here that it will kill your performance but I couldn't really tell as you would think
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Absolutely nothing wrong with a body lift. Have at it. If that is all you end up needing then more power to you.

Scuba might like to elaborate on why body lifts are so bad rather than just pronouncing them sucks with no further reasoning.
Top heavy. More leverage on body mounts. Ugly.

1" BL, cool. 3", not cool.

Thats just my opinion.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM

bigswole... email sent.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 PM

35's and no lift? hmmm interesting
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 PM

here is the pic...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM

not bad
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 PM

thx Justin!

I drove it around for about an hour with no problems. So for the record it can be done just as long as you don't try to make a 100% locked turn. I looked at what's scrubbin briefly and a few small taps is all she needs to be no scrub a dub
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck making them clear at full lock- you're going to need it...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
Good luck making them clear at full lock- you're going to need it...
I agree , on my IFS set up the 35 x 12.5's on my 90 4runner rub still at full lock after trimmin and poundin and thats with 3.75 backspacin on the rims , on my 93 SAS 35 x 12.5's are not any kind of issue I think I could go 38 with no issues

4" IFS lift with 35's slight rubbin full lock L or R or stuffed all at pinch weld area around bottom of the plastic inner fender nearest the firewall , she's is a street queen now but she does pull the other one to the trails if I go playin and some easy/medium off roadin

35's S.A.S. 4" front 5" rear no rubbin street/daily driver 80 miles a day and all around 4 cylinder off road monster

Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
Top heavy. More leverage on body mounts. Ugly.

Thats just my opinion.

Top heavy? No. A body lift has the least effect on center of gravity of any type of lift. So if you are saying that any type of lift is unacceptable due to changes in center of gravity, then I would agree. If you are saying that a body lift causes worse top heaviness than other lift types, I disagree.

Additional leverage on the body mounts and hardware is true. The body mount stress can be somewhat mitigated by using the largest surface area of body mount spacer possible. I have yet to read of one catastrophic failure of a body lift due to this. I don't doubt that some folks have ecountered some body mount cracks through the years, but it's not like truck bodies are flying off of frames every month. Issues can arise from all lifts (all modifications for that matter) and should be taken into account prior to doing them.

Thats just my opinion.

Great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It was difficult to tell from the post if you were trying to state an opinion or a fact.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justin_4runner

here is the pic...
those are NEW tires?! they look bald to me!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Top heavy? No. A body lift has the least effect on center of gravity of any type of lift. So if you are saying that any type of lift is unacceptable due to changes in center of gravity, then I would agree. If you are saying that a body lift causes worse top heaviness than other lift types, I disagree.

Additional leverage on the body mounts and hardware is true. The body mount stress can be somewhat mitigated by using the largest surface area of body mount spacer possible. I have yet to read of one catastrophic failure of a body lift due to this. I don't doubt that some folks have ecountered some body mount cracks through the years, but it's not like truck bodies are flying off of frames every month. Issues can arise from all lifts (all modifications for that matter) and should be taken into account prior to doing them.

Thats just my opinion.

Great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It was difficult to tell from the post if you were trying to state an opinion or a fact.
Thank you for helping to seperate the facts from the oppinions, you have made all good points. People on this forum are always very quick to spout off they they hate BL's and that they "suck" however these oppinions are hardly ever supported by facts or experience. There is a right and wrong way to do everything, including a body lift. I will be the first to admit that they can be done improperly and be dangerous.

Keys to a properly done body lift
1) always follow the "as much as you need but as little as possible" rule to determine the amount of lift.
2) Be sure your factory body mount bushings are in good shape or replace them. If they are rotten then they will not hold up to the added stress of the BL spacers. You can buy a set of poly mounts for under $100
3) Buy a quality BL kit. The larger diameter the blocks the better, Grade 8 over sized hardware with large washers is a must.
4) Blocks should be made from UMHW, not aluminum and they should be solid with only one hole for the bolt.

@ Bigswole - Hit up 4crawler for you Body lift. He has everything you need, high quality stuff and years of experience.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-05-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

@ tofer - they do look bald in the picture but they aren't. And I bought them at a used tire shop. They have enough tread to last a good while.

@yotarob - I tried looking at the 4crawler lifts but I'm only able to get on the net from my BB right now. Does he have the bracket for auto transmission?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSwole
@yotarob - I tried looking at the 4crawler lifts but I'm only able to get on the net from my BB right now. Does he have the bracket for auto transmission?
Yes, If I recall he is the only place to buy the bracket for an auto.

Quick Reply: 35's no lift