Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.4L from unknown donor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4L from unknown donor

Hi all, I have searched and unable to find the specific answer I need. My truck is a 89 3.0v6 5spd. My 3.0 headgaskets are shot, and I have a friend with a 3.4L manual he was going to swap in his truck, but since has sold the truck. The 3.4L is 90% complete, has wiring and ECM, all accessories and MAF, all I can see missing the the EVAP box. I would like to purchase this for my truck, but my concern is that since I don't know the donor vehicle VIN, how will I be able to find the correct wiring diagram to complete the wiring? Is there a way to use the engine serial number to find the VIN of the original vehicle?

I know the engine was pulled from a 4Runner at a auto wrecker not far from here last year, but that is about it.

Is this going to make the swap difficult?

Thanks,
Ian
Old 12-14-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Let me see you can get the engine harness and the ECM from the ECM it is possible to figure out what year you have.

Unless it is just a random engine harness with a ECM in a box then it might be interesting.

I have a 3.4 not sure just what year just bought a new engine harness and new ECM now it is a 2000 with the sensors to match

Then you might be able to track down the records where the 4 runner was parts might still be there .

The thing is you can make the engine whatever year you want with the correct electronics

Will it make it harder who knows if things go wrong it happens to me !!

Could be building the cross over pipe and wiring the fourth ECM plug is more of a pain.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM

The harness and ECM are still connected to the engine. I could use the ECM code to tell me some info, but not the exact vehicle. That is why I am a bit concerned of the possible extra work this would cause withe the wiring.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:54 PM

I should be a detective, a few calls later and I found the auto wrecker it came from, found the records of the 4Runner it came from. 99 Manual, and they even had the VIN! If anyone know the answer to the question I posted, please answer for my personal knowledge and in case anyone ever stumbles on this post with the same question.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ianjadkins
I should be a detective, a few calls later and I found the auto wrecker it came from, found the records of the 4Runner it came from. 99 Manual, and they even had the VIN! If anyone know the answer to the question I posted, please answer for my personal knowledge and in case anyone ever stumbles on this post with the same question.
Congrats finding the actual VIN! To answer your question though, you really need to lookup the ECM part number; most of the engines are basically the same (there are a few small differences here and there).
1. Type the ECM part number into Google. For example, I'll use the ECM from my swap: 89661-3D310.
. Browse through the results and open the various online Toyota parts dealers in their own tabs.
3. Find 1 or 2 that have list vehicle application or part fitment. I have found good luck with toyotapartszone.com, now toyotapartsdeal.com: http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/t...661-3d310.html
4. Look at the date ranges where that part was used; sometimes they'll give you month/year (start) - month/year (end), other times it'll be just years. So in my example they gave a range of 1996-1998; which makes sense since it came from a 1997 4Runner.
5. Then look at the vehicle information; in my example they gave "5VZFE; VZN185." 5VZFE is the engine (but you know that), the VZN185 is the platform (I guess that's a good name for it), 4x4, M/T, etc.
6. You can stop there, since I think that will give you everything you need to find a couple possible EWDs. From there, compare the connections that plug into the ECM to that of the EWD to determine the exact specific EWD that best matches your ECM and harness.

There are a ton of ways to do anything, this is just one that I have used to track down various parts during my swap.