Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.4 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.4 Rebuild

Hi everyone, I have been posting like crazy on this forum because I am about to start a 3.4L swap in my 1991 3.0L 5spd 4x4 pickup. I just bought a 1998 3.4L with ecu, wiring harness, all accessories, transfer case, and transmission for $2000 shipped. Problem is that there is 101,000 miles on the engine. Once I get the engine how will I determine whether it should be rebuilt? If it needs a rebuild does anyone know what would it cost to do rebuild myself? Whether it is even feasible? And if anyone knows what would be the cost of sending it out for a rebuild?
Thanks for any information...again,
Marge
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Hello and welcome to YT. You'll find that this is a very helpful site. But it is even more helpful with the use of the search function.

With that said. I would not even bother with having it rebuilt for now. Just install the engine get it running and do a compression test. Because probably the engine is in good shape and should not need rebuilding. The Toy engines, if taken care of properly will last 2-300k miles.

Futhermore what are you going to do about the wiring and exhaust?

Good luck with the swap.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You spent $2000.00 without knowing the condition of the engine?

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM

Pozi:
For the wiring I think I am going to just buy the ORS conversion harness. Oh and I tried the search for 3.4 rebuild but it so far couldn't find anything. So if you know of a thread post it. The exhaust I have been thinking about. Here is the thread I started regarding that:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/3-4l-swap-exhaust-questions-91073/

DirtCheap:
Yeah I know, leap of faith and all but I wanted a project and it was the only package I could find (been looking for a few months and my free time is going to run out soon) that had tcase, transmission, all accessories, shipping etc. The guy I bought it from said the 4runner just came into his yard and ran great before it got t-boned and he seemed pretty honest. We'll see though. At least I have an engine etc. now.

Later,
Marge
Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtCheap
You spent $2000.00 without knowing the condition of the engine?

Good Luck!
Well he also got the "ecu, wiring harness, all accessories, transfer case, and transmission" not a bad deal if you ask me. Although the transfer case will drop the front drive shaft on the wrong side.

That mileage isn't bad, it's just starting to get broken in.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Yeah the transfer case is a bit of a problem, the guy said that he would only ship the transmission with the tcase. Don't really know why. So I figure maybe I can sell it on ebay/craigslist or maybe core it to marlin, who knows. My tcase on my truck is in great shape but I think my transmission is kind of screwey, pops out of 1st gear etc. I think the transmission coming with the engine etc. is the same as the one in my 3.0L truck so I am hoping I can just bolt on the new transmission to my old tcase and be ready to go. If the transmissions are not the same then I will take my old one to Marlin for a rebuild with a lower 1st gear put in.
Later,
Marge
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marge
Pozi:
For the wiring I think I am going to just buy the ORS conversion harness. Oh and I tried the search for 3.4 rebuild but it so far couldn't find anything. So if you know of a thread post it. The exhaust I have been thinking about.
I would not concern yourself with the engine rebuild right now. Concentrate on getting that engine in. Then determine if you need a rebuild. If you then would need a rebuild your 98 FSM can be downloaded from the TIS site for $10 a day. You cal also download anything Toyota/Lexus/Scion from 1983(?). Which includes the engine rebuild.

Good thought about the ORS harness. It is some serious coin to drop but it is worth it if you have never done the swap before. I bought the harness and power steering hose only from ORS (the only things needed from him IMHO). And frankly nothing is needed if you do your research.

If I was going to do a 3.4L swap again I would not buy the harness. After my swapping drama I now have a very good understanding of the 3.0 and 3.4 wiring mess.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Including pics.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

I've decided that unless I find an engine with less than 50,000 mile on it, I will replace the timing belt and water pump, as well as plugs, wires and belts.

I figure that this is just good preventive maintenance, and will give me a good baseline for the engine starting a new life in my truck. I also figure that it will be pretty easy, on an engine stand.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by breknraj
I've decided that unless I find an engine with less than 50,000 mile on it, I will replace the timing belt and water pump, as well as plugs, wires and belts.

I figure that this is just good preventive maintenance, and will give me a good baseline for the engine starting a new life in my truck. I also figure that it will be pretty easy, on an engine stand.
Did you know the interval for changing the t-belt on the 5VZ is 90,000 miles, not 60,000 like the 3VZ?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 AM

pozi:
I definitely need to get the fsm for the donor vehicle. I have it for my current configuration but I still need to get it for the donor parts. Most likely I will use the ORS conversion harness but I would really like to do the harness conversion myself as the ORS conversion harness is ~$650. I have heard that it is not too bad if you have all the factory wiring diagrams. Do you have any advice on the wiring? I am sure you have checked this thread out but this guy did the wiring conversion himself: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1

breknraj:
Yeah, I will definitely be changing the water pump, timing belt, plugs, and wires. I will check out the belts and determine whether they need to be changed as well.

mt_goat:
90,000? Radical. I like that.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM

pozi:
Oh yeah I will borrow my sister's digi camera for pics and post em.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

pozi:
Oh yeah I will borrow my sister's digi camera for pics and post em.
Take lots of pics, I am putting stuff back together now and I am always needing pics to see how it was before.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Did you know the interval for changing the t-belt on the 5VZ is 90,000 miles, not 60,000 like the 3VZ?

Thanks, Mt. Goat. Actually, I was aware of that, but I'd like to put myself in a position of (hopefully) not needing to do any significant work on the engine for a LONG time after the install. Routine stuff is all I want to have to worry about.

God knows if it will turn out that way, but that's my intent with the swap.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 AM

pozi:
I definitely need to get the fsm for the donor vehicle. I have it for my current configuration but I still need to get it for the donor parts. Most likely I will use the ORS conversion harness but I would really like to do the harness conversion myself as the ORS conversion harness is ~$650. I have heard that it is not too bad if you have all the factory wiring diagrams. Do you have any advice on the wiring? I am sure you have checked this thread out but this guy did the wiring conversion himself: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1

breknraj:
Yeah, I will definitely be changing the water pump, timing belt, plugs, and wires. I will check out the belts and determine whether they need to be changed as well.
Hey man,

Sure I looked at that site for that guy doing his own wiring. Plus there are several people here that have done it also. But for me I opted to buy the ORS harness for a quicker install (plus I was intimidated by it all). If you feel comfortable cutting, extending, slicing wires and want to jump into this thing with both feet to save yourself the $650 then go for it. You'll have a good understanding of your electrical system that is for sure.

It took me having to diagnose and fix my headache to have a understanding of the electrical system.