86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0vze no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0vze no spark

Ok here it goes. Little over a week ago after sitting over night my 1990 3.0vze 4runner was cranking but wouldn't start. It sounds different when I turn it over like a low hum or whistle. I did a spark test and confirmed its not sparking. I can smell fuel in the cylinder and fuel filter is new. I determine I have fuel. I tested my Mass Air Flow meter by unclipping the harness and trying to turn over and still nothing. So diagnosed down the line from there. Grounds first, passenger side valve cover, starter, driver side fender, have not found the one supposed to attach at the ac compressor mounting bracket and the ground from the fuse block to the battery is fine. Checked the fuses in the engine bay and by driver side kick panel all are fine. Plugs are relatively new and wires are brand new with good OHM resistance. Distributor points were corroded, minimal but it was an original part. So I bought a new one after installing TDC with the MatchMarks lined up as per the FSM. Still no spark. I put in a new ignition coil as well and tested again. Still no spark. You can test the coil and distributor for resistance as per the FSM before you buy to make sure that part isnt working. Dont do as I did and just run at the first thought. So I started multi metering the things I new. I double checked my new coil for resistance in primary and secondary coils. Both are in spec. I have around 12v power to the harness. I have read the most in depth analysis of Ignition modules/igniters https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/testing-igniter-287857/ and determined that it can be dangerous probing around in the wires while the turning the engine. They produce lots of power so I'm not 100% I want to test that while I'm turning the car but I did test the harness and i have 12v and 12v keyon to the igniter/ignition module and 5v at the IGF. I'm being told that the ECM and Igniter rarely fail. It's a lifetime part. Which is somewhat comforting because a new igniter runs close to 800$ from lordco.

So I'm neck deep and I'm running out of ideas. I'm potentially missing a ground connection but I dont see how that would just spring up over night. I have a picture of a part that grounds with the igniter coil combo. I have no idea what it is, if it's in the FSM it's not to obvious. My next step I think is getting a used igniter but I'm not convinced that's the issue.

This forum proves time and time again to be a fountain of information and I owe you Yota heads many thanks. I hope to learn from this and continue the network by passing on what I know to future generations if anyone has information on the part in the pictures that would be helpful or possible grounding locations I'm missing. Other suggestions I've had is crank position sensor and ignition relay. To the best of my research both those parts dont exist on the 3.0vze or go by a different name. I would of thought relay my best bet but I cant find one besides the starter relay. And my starter runs fine. 1 thread out of like 50 mentions briefly and IFC relay but I haven't gotten and good info on that either. I'll do my best to respond as quickly as possible thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
The part in your picture is a capacitor. The capacitor electrically filters out ignition noise that you would here in the radio unit, particularly on the AM band. It is there so you don't here the ignition system pulses through your speakers. Toyota calls it a condenser, which is an old-time name for a capacitor.

I will let someone who knows the 3VZ-E better than me to help with the no spark problem.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so sorry for the delay. I got another thread that turned me into the timing belt. I had shared all the teeth at the crank shaft pulley. So the dissy wasnt spinning to produce any spark. I had to turn the cams Independant of the crank pulley to re align TDC. Now best of my knowledge the 3vze is non interferance but I still was very un easy about turning cams. Re aligned and it fired up no problem