Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 To fix or to swap? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 To fix or to swap? That is the question

OK so I know this has been discussed but I need a lot of information and help deciding. So I have a 1991 Toyota pickup ext cab flatbed 4wd that I enjoy driving. Started having some issues with valve cover leaking then starting issues and finally the head gasket blown. So my question is fix it or swap it. I talked to my buddy at the shop and he said its gonna cost $800-900 for the head gasket. I also have a 3.4 on the line right now with all wiring intact for $700 with 184,000 miles. My 3.0 has 240,000 so I need help with this decision. What all do I need for the engine swap? Do I need a tranny as well or will my AT work? Is it worth fixing? Or should I jump on the 3.4? Advice and some knowledge would help and be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've asked one of the most controversial questions known to yotatech. Hahahaha
i am no guru, but I did stay at a..........
im presently rebuilding two 3vz's, so what I say is from this experience.
First question to you is...Are you doing this or hiring it done? $800-900 for head gasket replace seems steep (to me). What is included in this price? If this price includes head rework/resurface/valves/etc......to NOT do the bottom invites disaster....too much compression.
ive rebuilt my own and don't have $1k in the engine, this is probably not average.
for the prices you've stated...the 3.4 is, again just guessing, best money wise, others will chime in on the swap....I seem to remember a good detail on it a while back. Relax, read, count your costs......you can do this....
Defination: Adventure.......You don't know what's coming next.

just my 2 pesos (-2c)

bud
Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 AM

I thought the price was a little high too but I'm not doing it, the shop is. I really don't have the time not do I have the knowledge to get it done quickly.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The price is pretty accurate for removal and replacement, 8-12 hrs flat time. You need to ask for the hourly rate when shopping for a mechanic, 75-125/hr is what you will find depending on the market and how busy the shop is, and busy shops charge more generally. They will consult the manual for the time estimate to do the work and give you a price, you need to inquire about what thier policy is on going over or under that time. A good shop will charge you less if it takes less time, they will also not charge you more than the estimate if they get stuck on a bolt and go over the time.

Repair or replace is something you have to weight personally. You will not save any money over the repair, not even if you have all the swap parts on hand because of the shop time. Engine r&r bills at just a few more hours then a headgasket at around 12-16 hrs. It is generally faster to pull the engine to do the heads and restab the engine, just because of the extra access it gives and lots of the tasks overlap.
​​​
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jharris0172
OK so I know this has been discussed but I need a lot of information and help deciding. So I have a 1991 Toyota pickup ext cab flatbed 4wd that I enjoy driving. Started having some issues with valve cover leaking then starting issues and finally the head gasket blown. So my question is fix it or swap it. I talked to my buddy at the shop and he said its gonna cost $800-900 for the head gasket. I also have a 3.4 on the line right now with all wiring intact for $700 with 184,000 miles. My 3.0 has 240,000 so I need help with this decision. What all do I need for the engine swap? Do I need a tranny as well or will my AT work? Is it worth fixing? Or should I jump on the 3.4? Advice and some knowledge would help and be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
90 Toyota 4 runner, 4x4, with automation trans. Have same/similar issue; unfortunately, transmission went before the head gasket repair or would not be faced with the same dilemma.

As a total novice, if end up removing the engine, with 240k miles and have any concerns regarding the transmission may want to consider having it checked out, particularly, the transfer case, it is my understanding the transmission and transfer case are not separate units and majority of the labor is in the removal?

May want to inquire as to the cost in the worse case scenario, I was given approx. same quote for replacing the head gasket by shop; however, in my case, water got into cylinder's, since the condition of the engine was suspect, shop gave an absurd quote for rebuilding and/or swap, ended up towing vehicle home.

Anyhow, food for thought?

Last edited by lastcall; 01-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The price is pretty accurate for removal and replacement, 8-12 hrs flat time. You need to ask for the hourly rate when shopping for a mechanic, 75-125/hr is what you will find depending on the market and how busy the shop is, and busy shops charge more generally. They will consult the manual for the time estimate to do the work and give you a price, you need to inquire about what thier policy is on going over or under that time. A good shop will charge you less if it takes less time, they will also not charge you more than the estimate if they get stuck on a bolt and go over the time.

Repair or replace is something you have to weight personally. You will not save any money over the repair, not even if you have all the swap parts on hand because of the shop time. Engine r&r bills at just a few more hours then a headgasket at around 12-16 hrs. It is generally faster to pull the engine to do the heads and restab the engine, just because of the extra access it gives and lots of the tasks overlap.
​​​
This is great advice. Also, consider the shop likely won't warranty the work and/or parts on the 3.4 modification. But, you'd have to ask them, I suppose. You do you have a friend there.

Personally, if I trusted the shop/mechanics, and had the opportunity as you do, I'd make the swap. You'll the need the ECU for it. And, you'll need to look into an adapter for your tranny. I'm not the person to ask on that, but run a google and check Pirate 4x4. They do some great stuff over there. Unless someone from here can chime in and say more about it.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM

Ok so I'm in a dilemma. Was starting to lean more to swapping out the motor but mechanic that has truck right now said it wouldn't work. Talk to several other mechanics and can't find anyone to do this for me. I guess the only thing left to do is fix it. If anyone knows anybody in TN that does this at a reasonable price let me know or I guess I'm stuck with the 3.0.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jharris0172
Ok so I'm in a dilemma. Was starting to lean more to swapping out the motor but mechanic that has truck right now said it wouldn't work. Talk to several other mechanics and can't find anyone to do this for me. I guess the only thing left to do is fix it. If anyone knows anybody in TN that does this at a reasonable price let me know or I guess I'm stuck with the 3.0.
It's not a direct fit but if they were willing to do the home work it's money in his pocket. I'm pretty sure this conversion is doable with off the shelf parts and can be done without fabricating anything. Crossovers and motor mounts is all that I think of off hand, oil pickup and pan from the 3.0 to clear the diff ECT.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/how-much-would-cost-3-4-swap-124055/

Should probably read this.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head gaskets are an easy job, the question is what's the rest of the motor look like. With that many miles, you are probably due for a rebuild. Having done this a few times myself and poured a ton of money into the 3VZE, I wish I'd done the swap.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
are you saying the "turd polish" is overrated?