86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2wd to 4wd conversion

I have a '94 single cab 2wd toyota pickup with the 22re engine and want to convert it into 4wd. I know that it is challenging and can be spendy, but am still interested. I know that i'll need an SAS, w56 tranny/transfer case, leafsprings, and hangers. Thats about as far as i have gotten. A shopping list or short guide would very much be appreciated. Ive done lots of research and have looked through other forums where guys have done this, but dont give much description, thank you.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kroberts
I have a '94 single cab 2wd toyota pickup with the 22re engine and want to convert it into 4wd. I know that it is challenging and can be spendy, but am still interested. I know that i'll need an SAS, w56 tranny/transfer case, leafsprings, and hangers. Thats about as far as i have gotten. A shopping list or short guide would very much be appreciated. Ive done lots of research and have looked through other forums where guys have done this, but dont give much description, thank you.
Don’t know of a step by step guide. 4wdparts magazine had an article in ‘09 on a taco. Think you’ll have better up travel than a SAS’d 4wd. Pick an axle aftermarket, Toyota, Dana..... base lift off of tire size. Use a 4wd tranny and t-case (strongest 4cyl is the R151 but W56 is fine and an RF1 t-case). Going dual cases will replace front driveshaft angle but requires both front and rear driveshaft modifications. Plan on rear suspension changes to match front and a 4wd axle (or matching bolt pattern to front). Bigger tires will require regearing if driving on street. Might as well throw lockers in axles. Sounds like a fun build. Not sure of steering on 2wd would take some research.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Parts list !!

Buy a complete Vehicle otherwise you will spend Months chasing after or waiting for simple things that were forgotten

As both the front and rear axles are needed

About the only thing left of your Truck will be the engine the Cab and bed .

The frame will need to be modified to a degree it has been to long since I have been under a 2wd to remember in detail

Much easier and lots cheaper to find a 4x4 with a bad engine and swap yours in.

What is your end game here ??

If you don`t need or want the SAS you can go with the IFS

Think long and hard and do lots of reading on this subject .

As a project to keep you out of the house and spend lots of money on Tools and Toyota Parts go for it
Old 11-13-2017, 05:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Wyoming hits a huge point; what is intended use?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
do you know how to weld?
If not sell your truck and buy a 4WD