Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen 4runner hardtop convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen 4runner hardtop convertible?

Hello all,

First off, I want to thank everyone on this forum for bestowing upon me all the information in the world I've needed to work on the piece of crap 4runner that I definitely paid to much for via craigslist, but am now happily in love with. I am in no way a mechanic, but the info on this forum helped me change my knock sensor and timing belt and a few other things here and there. Now I'm moving on to valve adjustments and some suspension work and pretty much everything else on this dang ol truck. I hope to make some write ups on my work in the future to share.

Anyway, I wanted to pose a question that I can't find any information on, but thought it might trigger some ideas.

Has anyone on here ever converted their 2nd gen 4runner to be able to have the top removed? I know this would be a great deal of fabrication, and the backdoors pose some sort of an issue, but I've always wanted that ability to remove the top off the back and convert it into a truck. This website has a walkthrough for adding a flat bed, but I have never seen anything about people ripping the top off and doing it in such a way that will allow it to be put back on.

I work at an artist residency in San Antonio, TX, so I have access to a sawzall, grinders, welder, and pretty much anything else fabrication related.

Anyone got any leads?

-Charlie
Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Convert it into a truck (with small bed)? Some examples:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...n-top-off.html
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. And after seeing photos, it looks pretty whack, haha. I think I'll just by a 1st gen one day...I hope...or perhaps a pickup with a camper.

Although, if anyone else has other options or thoughts, I'd love to hear.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You want to haul stuff buy a trailer !

Buy a pick up or a First generation 4Runner

Why ruin something intact ??

Many more interesting projects can be found to get you out of the house and spend money