86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22rte to 22re

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22rte to 22re

i am swapping out my 22rte for a 22re. will my turbo engine harness work on the newer 22re? also will a automatic 22re ecu plug in my harness and work with my ect tranny? can i keep my turbo radiator with the 22re? also i believe if i get the 22re out of a 2wd i will have to put my oil pan off my 22rte onto the 22re is that true? basically i need to know everything involved with the swap.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes your turbo harness will work with a newer model 22R-E. Make sure you use the turbo injectors if you're keeping the turbo ECU too.

Yes you can keep the turbo radiator.

Yes you can swap your oil pan. Unlike a lot of other turbo motors, the oil drain for the turbo is actually in the block not the pan.

The swap is fairly straight-forward, more or less pull one motor out, and put the other motor in. You will need to get the intake pipe and top of the air box from the 22R-E motor, get the 22R-E exhaust, and will need to plug the extra coolant line on the radiator, but other than that it's a straight swap.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's my before and after:

There are many different years of the 22RE, and as far as I've been able to tell (although I'm definitely no expert) some of the sensors and solenoids vary a bit. As with many things like this, there are a lot of ways to go about this project. You mention a "newer 22RE".....do you have a specific motor in mind?

BUT, I went for the simplest way I could. I bought a complete, running, '86 5-speed 4runner with some nasty rust and some minor crash damage for $250. I used the turbo injectors, and AFM (different part number on it compared to the '86 4runner that donated my 22RE) so I could use the turbo ECU.

I used the turbo upper intake manifold (since they need to be separated to get the wiring harness out), so it had almost all the same sensors and solenoids. I pretty much just duplicated the turbo vacuum line routing. The PCV line goes to the intake plenum on the turbo, and the manifold on the non-turbo, since I was using neither of these, I just went to advance auto and spent $10 on a little breather filter.

Even though I used the turbo AFM, I swapped it onto the non-turbo upper airbox so it would be pointed the right way to use the non-turbo plenum (pretty easy to see what I mean in the pictures).

I didn't have to, but I didn't see any reason why you couldn't swap the oil pan.

Something else you'll run into, there's a plate on the back of the engine. when there's an auto trans behind it, there's an access hole on the bottom to allow you to bolt the flex plate and torque converter together. If your donor engine had a manual trans behind it, that hole won't be there, and you'll have to pull the engine out, remove the flexplate, and then swap that plate. Ask me how I know

If you want to look into swapping the ECU, here's an ECU pinout I got a few years ago comparing the turbo and non-turbo units in an '88
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM

hey!!!!

you still have your turbo manifold!!! if so i want it!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 PM

ok so it is a pretty straight forward swap. i basically would like to put a 22re for awhile so i can totally rebuild the 22rte from the ground up. i really dont know what year motor id put in, really its whatever motor i can find. honestly id love to keep the rte in there but it seems like it just needs a total rehaul. i could be wrong and it could just be a defective turbo but idk. it seems like it would be easier to put the re in. numbchux why did you swap out the rte for re?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I got a great deal on the truck because it had been run out of oil. I replaced the main bearings/thrust washers, but it still had piston slap, and then I discovered shaft play in the turbo.....

Then I picked up an '86 4runner that had been rusted to hell for $250.