Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE: Touble After An Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE: Touble After An Engine Swap

Hi guys, I am working on a project for my Grandfather since he has been in remission from cancer and cant do this himself. And it is proving to be interesting. I am still searching but I could use some help.

Here is the short and simple:
87 22RE pickup/camper - with a new 22RE Street Performance Longblock from LCE and everything else is stock
It appears to have spark to all four plugs and they are new
But cylinders 2 and 4 appear not be not getting fuel
It is only running off of 1 and 3
But before the swap it ran on all four cylinders
Any ideas? What could prevent it from getting fuel to those two?

And the whole story if it helps:

I am working on a 87 Toyota 2wd (pickup I believe) that was used as the base for a class C camper. It had a tiredout 22re with the compression down to 70psi on a good day. But strangely it ran like a top and smooth as hell. Just weak as hell.
So, out it went and in with the LCE motor, straight swap nothing changed but the block. It got new plugs but thats it. Did static timing at 5 before tcd. Compression at 100 on a fresh block. Need to check valves still, But LCE said they did that.
It starts right up and sounds healthier but it shakes and idles like crap. Pulling the plug wires with it running I found that 2 and 4 seem not be firing but I can hear the wire spark when grounded. Replacing the plugs and wires did nothing either.

My Understanding of how FI Works on the 22RE:
All four injectors fire at once and put half of the need amount of fuel in for every rotation of the crank. 2 rotations = 1 full load of fuel as needed

So, then my ECM should be telling the injectors on 2 and 4 to fire; since 1 and 3 are fine - How can I check this?

I have also read a little about checking the Ohms on the injectors but this doesn't seem fool proof - Any input on how to set the injectors themselves?

Any other things I should look at and check?

Thanks guys,
Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe there is some pigtail wires for the injectors under the intake manifold that tend to separate and the ones that do are 2 and 4......Follow the wires from the injectors back and you'll find it. Either that or the ground for those two ( I think they are grounded on the same wire) is loose or not connected.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 07-27-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the injectors are all wired in parallel, to fire at the same time, but they aren't all wired together in the same place. 1 and 3 splice together as do 2 and 4 then those wires splice together... and they're crimp type splices which will corrode over time or separate from the splice if the harness is moved around.
Find the failure, solder it together and cover it it heat shrink tubing.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember playing with the ground. I moved it around cause I couldn't remember were to put it. I ended up on the bottom of the intake next to the brace that goes to the motor mount. And I think it only had 3 wires in it. Does that sound right?